Looking for higher level characters

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Looking for higher level characters

Post by Ithildur »

So... anyone looking for a plot hook that will challenge and scare higher level characters? Aglaril has been spending a fair amount of time patrolling the dangerous Wood of Sharp Teeth with some specific objectives, and may soon find himself in need of skilled companions. Success I think may mean that our characters become legends in the Sword Coast, or at least the toast of taverns for many moons, as well as fabulously wealthy*. What more could you want?

A warning: I think it's fair to say that this could turn out to be something that has a real chance of killing our characters, and if you're not willing to live with that possibility, then you might want to steer clear and choose to keep your toon in the tavern.**

*No guarantee of fabulous wealth, totally up to DM and IC events of course, but certain kinds of creatures are known for their vast hordes...

**I can't believe I need to actually put this caviat out there in ALFA! :)
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Dorn
Haste Bear

Re: Looking for higher level characters

Post by Dorn »

Define 'higher'?
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

You know Hully's in. :)
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Same here.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Inwintersshadow
Orc Champion

Post by Inwintersshadow »

Color me curious, but what level are you looking for?
Admissions Goon

Primary PC: Vohrigg Cragstomper ~ Rock-climbing Spelunker of High Home http://pinterest.com/pin/229965124694678786/
Secondary PC: Nicobus Trask - Private Investigator of Silverymoon http://workerslawwatch.com/wp-content/u ... igator.jpg

NWN1 PC: Corgrym Aerthen: Warrior-Priest of Chauntea & White Chalk Village Militia Leader in Daggerdale
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I'm not sure what Ith is talking about but my educated guess is 10+ Possibly 7ish if youre tough and feeling frisky.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

'Higher lvl' is obviously relative; in ALFA generally folks who are lvl 8 or higher tend to be thought of as 'higher level'. Really depends on what your estimation of your PC's capability and personality are and what makes sense IC; I can see some lvl 6 PCs being as useful or more so than some lvl 10's, and I can see some lvl 12s bowing out while a suicidal or plucky lower lvl throws their hat in. Honestly, I don't think it's set in stone; someone who knows what they're doing and has a ranged weapon and friends can survive stuff meant for higher levels... and remember you don't have to outrun the bear, just outrun the slowest guy on your team. :)

Heegz probably would be the guy with final say, but I would guestimate lvls 7+ might be recommended. At some point we might tangle with critters that can be anywhere between CR 3 to 24, likely between 8 and 16... not that our PCs would know that, but they could sooner or later find out what Aglaril's been up to and perhaps get an idea of the danger level.

There's also no need to rush into things; who knows, things may take weeks or months to play out during which you can gain some levels before a climatic fight happens.

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

im game !

nothing say im sorry for being a dick as providing dangerous dangerous adventures
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

One note, the timezone/timeslot will likely have to be very late US nights, which might make things tough for Euro's; again Heegz will have to chime in/confirm.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Ithildur wrote:'Heegz probably would be the guy with final say, but I would guestimate lvls 7+ might be recommended. At some point we might tangle with critters that can be anywhere between CR 3 to 24, likely between 8 and 16... not that our PCs would know that, but they could sooner or later find out what Aglaril's been up to and perhaps get an idea of the danger level.
After a solo session with Aglaril earlier this summer I dreamed up this image and painted it in an hour using my daughter's first grade watercolor set.

No promises but you've been warned... :twisted:

Also, I am only free to DM late US nights. Not planning on a dedicated night of the week at this point, waiting to see how things develop.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Go team dragon!

Slay the evil elves!
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

:lol: Really like that painting; mind if I keep a copy?

It's the type of painting/drawing that I might expect to find in The Hobbit or Narnia books; there's something really fun, almost childlike and innocent about it, and it feels rather iconic, elf vs (elf eating) green dragon... fits the history of the realms too with elves being the first to break the dominance of dragons in Faerun, etc.

It's the kind of thing that I'd imagine elven children grew up painting during class or looking at in books. Great stuff.

[edit] thanks for links to the bigger versions. Fun. :)

puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

can you specify "late" us times? dont want to sound like a night owl or anything but late in my book is 2-3 am :P that equals to youknow - morningcoffee times here in europe
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I rarely log in before 11pm EST. During the week I will probably be able to squeeze in an hour session.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

An hour of Heegz DMing plus RP amongst PCs could be a nice setup/development for a while... until Heegz finally decides it's time to put the fear of mortality into our hearts!

We could end up with a rather unlikely group of PCs btw... :chin: But I suppose a powerful enough common threat can unite folks at least temporarily.