If you're just going to run..

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 10 DM

boombrakh
Githyanki

If you're just going to run..

Post by boombrakh »

.. around in the Cloakwood and murder everything you see, at least pick up after yourself.

One of the first thing I learned was to never leave "loot bags" behind you because it clutters up the server. Now, I don't know how true or not that is, but come on, if you head out into the woods to kill Goblins, pick your nose, or whatever other reason you might have, at least pick up after yourself. :)
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
kid
Dungeon Master

Re: If you're just going to run..

Post by kid »

+1
thuogh I admit i've made a few hundered coins picking up leftovers. better burn them if you can't carry 'em. better for the server.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

It takes a pretty long-term/systematic neglect of dumped bags-- or the problem across many areas-- for us to really see the problem. But yes, loot bags use up resources, and many of our scripts loop over areas' contents. Adding a bunch of stuff to the area's contents (or to many areas' contents) starts to get bad for the server.

That said, hostile NPCs totally kill animals. If you're finding hides in the loot bags, goblins were probably responsible.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Name names. If they know we know they arent like to do it again out of shame.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Of the goblins?

Well, there's "Goblin," and "Goblin Warrior" -- but really, "Goblin Shaman" farms the balls off of the berrygobblers.

He's probably like... level 12 off of berrygobblers now. It's a good thing he doesn't turn the hides in. He'd be advocating for epic spellcasting right now if he did.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

I think Gordie would be a good name for a goblin. Gordie the Goblin.

FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Stop making wyverns drop tents and rusty daggers, and maybe people will bother to loot them.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

That sounds like a job for the tech team!

FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Loot rewards are a DMA/HDM thing, not tech. We can just provide tools there.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

If I were PA Id have lobbied for a diamond in every wyvern poop but alas I am not PA.

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Heero for PA!

(And no, it was dead goblins all over the place. Someone did a hell of a job (: )
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Its not goblins killing animals Zelk. I found dozens of dead goblins all over the Cloakwood too. It looks like only the "ears" for the bounty were looted. I checked the cave and same in there. Every spawn killed and litter everywhere. Seriously, if you don't want to haul it and sell it then at least trash it in a campfire.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

It is animals killing the goblins (and vice versa) frequently. Not always. Maybe not most. But there tends to be an explanation other than "lazy farmers" for when valuable things are left behind. Obviously people do kill the goblins, and they don't always clean up after themselves. But consider the logic of your statements.

"Guys, the fish in the Pacific ocean are huge!"
"I don't know; I'm pretty sure the fish in the Pacific ocean come in all sizes."
"But I caught a tuna in the Pacific ocean one time! A tuna!"
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Zelknolf wrote:It is animals killing the goblins (and vice versa) frequently. Not always. Maybe not most. But there tends to be an explanation other than "lazy farmers" for when valuable things are left behind. Obviously people do kill the goblins, and they don't always clean up after themselves. But consider the logic of your statements.

"Guys, the fish in the Pacific ocean are huge!"
"I don't know; I'm pretty sure the fish in the Pacific ocean come in all sizes."
"But I caught a tuna in the Pacific ocean one time! A tuna!"
I have yet to see an animal spawn within the goblin cave in Cloakwood. I have also yet to see an animal spawn that collects goblin ears. Yet, every spawn in the goblin cave was killed and all the loot left behind EXCEPT the ears which can be turned in for a bounty. Every single goblin spawn in two cloakwood maps around said cave was similarly killed, with bounty ears looted but other droppings left behind. You may call this flawed logic. I call it circumstantial evidence that would be admissible in a court of law. This seems indicative of a Modus Operandi don't you think? Kill every spawn you see, loot the ears and leave the rest. Might some animals be killing goblins too? Sure. Did some raging bear kill all the goblins on two maps then enter the cave and do the same? And then some lucky adventurer strolled by to collect all the ears? Possible, but lets not be naïve.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Guys, it was me. Im really sorry.