Saying Hello

For new Members to introduce themself and new acceptees to be announced.
Ishmayl
Goblin Scout

Saying Hello

Post by Ishmayl »

I am saying Hello!

I've always loved the Forgotten Realms, I've been playing in the setting since second edition, but have never done much with online gaming - I was talking to a friend of mine recently about how I hated that DDO was set in Eberron, because FR is so much richer, and he recommended we play some NWN2 and find a great persistent world that's FR. And this is the one that kept coming in searches about the best world, so I'm really looking forward to playing here!
Heero
Beholder

Re: Saying Hello

Post by Heero »

Welcome. Hope ya have some fun.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

welcome! i hope you'll enjoy alfa and have tons of fun!
Hialmar
Fionn In Disguise

Post by Hialmar »

Ishmayl, if you want to play here, you should fill an application.

You can do that by going to the first page of the website and click on the "Sign up" button on the top right.

Edit: here is the direct link http://www.alandfaraway.org/applications/player_new
Please note that you may need to create another account to do this because you are supposed to do this first and then create your forum account (which should be done automatically but for a little problem with the website),
Ishmayl
Goblin Scout

Post by Ishmayl »

Ah, thanks Hialmar, I will do that!
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Hello and welcome! Looking forward to playing with you.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Call me
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Stormbring3r
Owlbear

Post by Stormbring3r »

dergon darkhelm wrote:Call me
Player....

Welcome to the land of FUN!

Don't run

Have fun
ALFA NWN1 Notable PC's
Jenna Steel (dead)
Marcus Agent of Mask (dead)
NWN2 PC's
Current PC.... Merin (Merry) Gwinkill
Will Menen (Dead)

DM MS
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Good luck on your second pc.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Ishmayl
Goblin Scout

Post by Ishmayl »

Stormbring3r wrote:
Player....

Welcome to the land of FUN!

Don't run

Have fun
Rumple C wrote:Good luck on your second pc.
So... Confused....
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

No idea what those others are on about.

Good luck on your second pc is a alfa greeting. it means dont invest your heart in the first one, because they will likely meet a gruesome fate while you get the hang of alfa.

Dont run... without reason. Act in character at all time. See you in game!
12.August.2015: Never forget.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

That was supposed to be a Moby Dick joke -

Call me Ishmayl..........

Anyhows -- Welcome to ALFA!
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Welcome to the land of fun and RPs! ... and dick jokes apparently.
Sounds like you'll fit right in (at least on the RP and FR parts) :)

My advice would be to do try and find a DM session to play in. This world ain't for playing alone, you will only meet a lonesome death (or twlelve), but there's good game to be had with other players without a DM, too. For example, we're doing a euro-evening thing on the Moonshaes on Monday evenings with DM Cast_No_Shadow. And odds are you will find DM Kid around on various times and various places, he shares our timezone. I wish I could advertise a DM session of my own, too but the server is still under construction.

Have fun!
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Hey there, and thanks for your interest!

Hope to catch in game at some point. Don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions, most people don't bite.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Welcome.

I'm horrible at keeping up with forums, so I'm sorry for the late welcome.

Rumple is right, is a mistake to invest a huge amount of heart into your first character, as ALFA is a perma-death server, and D&D has never been kind to 1st level characters. It's not a wonder that commoners can view a group of first level characters as heroes, because most commoners would die to an angry squirrel.

1) Group up to travel and adventure. The game is designed to be very survivable if you are not alone. There is a cap on how far you can be put into negatives (-6) which gives your companions 4 rounds to stabilize you. But if you are alone, you will likely bleed out and die. So any advice that you get about joining parties/groups is good ones. It is very common to stay in towns and taverns to rp your way to your second level. It's actually fun, you get to learn a lot of personalities that way, and will likely find someone to take you under their wing and help you survive to actually go out and adventure that way.

2) Stay in character when possible, Out Of Character (OOC) conversation is best in tells. And ANYONE who plays here is likely to be friendly and helpful to new players and willing to answer your questions in tells. We really strive for immersion of character for good Role Playing experience for all.

3) They are right, one of the rules here is not running without reason. On some of the servers you will actually be forced into Con checks to resist exhaustion if you do. But more than anything else, it's not good RP to run everywhere. Especially since the roads represent much longer distances than you see. Think it might take you half an hour to 40 minutes to walk from The Gate to Nashkel, but in game terms, that would be an 11 day walk If I Remember Correctly (IIRC - commonly used short version). So seriously, a bad idea to try to run for 11 days, since an unprepared person running just 20 miles can drop dead and a day's walk in the old D&D books was listed as a 20 mile distance.

4) A pet peeve of many players here is the closing of doors. Polite people, especially in a land where there is so much rain, close the doors against the weather. It only takes a second, but it's appreciated.

5) ENJOY yourself, ask questions, and while you don't have to sit on IRC and chat out of character, it's a good idea to know how to get into it so you can jump on and ask questions if you need to.

Again, welcome, hope you see you in game!
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg