Sticking to theme of the forum

For new Members to introduce themself and new acceptees to be announced.
Mr_Otyugh
Goblin Scout

Sticking to theme of the forum

Post by Mr_Otyugh »

So ahoy,

New like most people starting threads in this forum, though got a looong history with NWN2 though. Usually I don't actually make these new player introduction deals and rather just appear after I have a feeling to the server, but figured I might as well make exception once in a while.

Heard of this server via a friend and figured I'd give it a try, I'm same time admin in another server but we need break too sometimes so this is my break server and will be just a player here ;)

And as some of you may or may not have noticed, I tend to initially shy out (though definitely not ignore) of interaction, it's a passing phase since I just want to get to know somewhat of the surrounding before making any kind of "attachments" as to make no disappointments, but I'll get over it as I get more comfortable with the server, people and the surroundings. Granted I already made couple deals so already got a bit over it.

Same reason why I tend to usually remain quiet on side of constructive criticism initially as well, since I tend to give time for myself to build an opinion and understanding of the goals and aims that staff has went behind things than propose something wild and extreme alteration out of whim. So apologies to staff if you expected initial opinion, not my style ;)

Anyhow, now I'm just rambling so looking forward to play with thee and all that usual stuff!
"Hah! The old get them with blade trick! Gets 'em every time."
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Sticking to theme of the forum

Post by Brokenbone »

Hello, hope you have fun, keep an eye on the little toys that show who's on what server when, on the homepage, if still trying to get a read for "what'll match typical play times" for chance to bump into lots of folks. Sure there's stuff to do alone, but in a multiplayer environment... uh... why?

Cheers.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Hi, welcome. If you need any help on TSM, we Dms are here for you.

We can provide access to special items and startup helps for new PCs as well as provide advice to playstyle.

My main advice is forget everything you learned playing World of Warcraft or MMOs. Very little of it, beyond group combat principles (and many people don't even use those) is going to help you here.

There are many schools of thought on this.

First and foremost is building relationships (social or common goals) through meaningful and authentic roleplaying. The name of the game is survival here and the ONLY way to survive is to find other "people" and depend upon them to help you survive.

Anti-social PCs or PCs that choose combat/looting over role-playing, find themselves quickly painted into a corner and die alone somewhere with no one to even claim their bodies when they die. That is NOT to say that evil is unplayable, you just have to be very clever to be evil and develop relationships to sustain your character.

Plus solo RP is just not the heart of pen and paper style roleplaying as have you ever been in a session where it was one DM and one person all the time? As well don't wait for Dms to supervise your RP. You make your RP with other players and whether you sit in an Inn and chat or are out on patrols, we DMs will be able to find you and involve you in our plots.

First step, make a character who can survive through one skill or another as their main reliance. That can be stealth, strong constitution, cuteness (so everyone wants to keep you alive,) healing powers, or generally being entirely indispensable in a pinch.

Second step, find a mentor if it is in character. Mentors will not power-level you but they will help connect you to the rest of the world and often can catch you up with all he news.

Third step, use the forums and IRC for all your questions.

Fourth step, don't get too attatched. Elaborate Bios are great for us Dms, but if you are careless with your delicate low level PC or travel the dangerous roads, you will most probably die. I have done the research and that is what kills pretty much 10 out 9 PCs.

We strive to keep things fair and as long as that relationship is respected and you follow the rules, your time will be enjoyable.
I'd thought I'd repost this...
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Oh, hi! A fellow Finn! For those who don't know, this comes naturally to us:
And as some of you may or may not have noticed, I tend to initially shy out
The most important thing at ALFA, at least imo, is hooking up to a DM time. At our timezone, CNS DMs at the Moonshaes (MS) monday evenings, that's where I am at, too. Here's the linky for organizing that:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpBB3/view ... 93&t=47851
DM Kid also does a saturday day thing on MS (our afternoon).

The Silver Marchers (TSM) server has a couple DMs that seem to run things on our prime time, Puny for example is Swedish far as I know. But I'm not that on the ball on the schedule over there.

Baldur's Gate (BG) has the thickest PC populations, but for our times seems to be rather void of DMing. Kid DMs BG as well, often but irregularly far as I know. BG has the most action, but also seems to be very American time oriented at the moment. Then again, I saw you made that point at 2am our time, so maybe American times is just fine for you...

For future outlook, myself I'm building the Amn server, which will hopefully be live within some months. Then I will be DMing a weekly Finnish evening (or two).

Anyways, welcome to ALFA! Do engage in the RP, and don't try to kill things solo!
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Welcome, welcome!

I hope your breaks here will be an enjoyable time. You will soon find that the heat of combat in a perma-death environment can quite match any sauna... at least, your hands will be sweaty ;).

Oh, and don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions - most people here, in game or in chat tend to be helpful.

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Mr_Otyugh
Goblin Scout

Post by Mr_Otyugh »

Dang, you jump to conclusions quick xD I just said 'shy out initially'. Like new features have tendency to bring out the curiosity to try them out in person, that's more or less the short and long of it, not so much anti-social behavior. It's just entire server and all people (except rare few) are new to me. ;) if one wanted to just grind and/or quest, there's games much better suited for such behavior and NWN 2 would probably rate as one of the lowest games for it due to relatively clunky mechanics. But what NWN 2 offers better than other games is making of roleplay environments via restricting to relatively small groups of likeminded people.

And yes, I experienced the dilemmas of combat on the only fight I did encounter against a dire rat, but I checked my rule of thumbs list... it was at least half times shorter than my character, not known to be powerful specie, and it didn't have ranged attack. So by keeping my distance I proved triumphant. Still a lot of things I'm intentionally not touching in presumption that something would want to spread my character in multiple areas simultaneously :P but as time goes I bet I'll go do something more reckless too, that's where the fun is.

Anyhow, cheers for the welcomes!
"Hah! The old get them with blade trick! Gets 'em every time."
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Mr_Otyugh wrote:Dang, you jump to conclusions quick xD I just said 'shy out initially'.
Sorry, looks like I forgot to activate the sarcasm indicator light meself ;)

Welcome all the same! I took a quick look at Sigil (dirty google stalker me), which I presume is the PW you speak of. And my initial attempt to be helpful remains: try to get in touch with a DM that shares your game time. By the look of it it's far more crucial to enjoying ALFA the way it was meant to be than what you might be used to. Also do tell a DM you're new to this neck of the woods, generally noobness is more likely to attract than to repel our DMs.

Hope you enjoy your "breaks" around here!
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Welcome
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg