Tentative return to ALFA

For new Members to introduce themself and new acceptees to be announced.
Fyrekrest
Goblin Scout

Tentative return to ALFA

Post by Fyrekrest »

Several months ago, I joined ALFA. My actual in game experience, though, was very short-lived as my computer had difficulty handling the larger areas (ie, Silverymoon). I only had a little experience with the game including a few classes with the University (which I quite enjoyed), and unfortunately, almost no contact with any other players in game. I offered to help build and did a bit of work on a couple of small areas, but since unfortunately that was short-lived as well. Since then, I've built an entirely new gaming behemoth of a machine. I've recently started playing a very heavily enforced RP MUD, as well, which has gotten me back into the RP mindset. Naturally.. It led me back to thinking about ALFA.

I have a couple of questions though, before I reinstall and download all the paks. As I had almost no contact with any other players, how has the player base changed from approximately 9 months ago? Are there higher or lower numbers of players logging in? Also, I had made a post looking for information to possibly join a group. As far as I remember, I never had any responses, except for an invite to join ALFA in NWN1 (which really doesn't interest me). I tend to keep night-owl hours (typically, 11pm and later PST), with open availability Sunday - Tuesday. Are there any groups that would match with those hours or days? If so, would being a fresh-out-of-the-gate newbie be too much of a hindrance? I've read some mixed reviews about ALFA, especially about newbies managing to get into the groups. Sacrificing an entirely unique character concept so that I might create one more in line with an active group would be a small sacrifice to me. I thoroughly enjoy RPing and consider myself to be quite a good RPer. With a machine capable of easily running ALFA, I'm hoping to rejoin, and I'm looking forward to any feedback or comments!

Thanks!
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Tentative return to ALFA

Post by Ithildur »

It would depend on which of the two currently live servers you start on, but I can tell you on tsm there are several groups you can join with a new pc without too much difficulty. Which group you join depends on things like alignment, deity in the case of one group, timezone in the case of another, and other factors. Hard to tell you where you might fit in well without knowing more about the pc.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
zicada
Infrastructure Prawn

Post by zicada »

ALFA has grown quite a bit in the last 9 months,- both in terms of players,- player activity and content. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised mate.

Welcome back :)
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Richard Dawkins
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

The numbers are frankly a bit low just now on both servers, likely cyclic due primarily to the onset of summer in the northern hemisphere, but I would counsel disregarding of group considerations to begin with. Just logon and begin with freindly nuetral PC's that can meet and greet.

ALFAN's are freindly folk and cultivate new and returning players. See who's playing in your timezone and the rest will take care of itself...don't worry...you'll get PLENTY of chances to roll-up fresh :wink:

For RP fun, ALFA rocks, mate...welcome home :D
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Over the next couple of weeks on TSM will be having a few plots running through-out the week. If you can join in one of them, it's a great chance to meet new people and get your feet in game.
< Signature Free Zone >
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Let's not forget that the Baldur's Gate server has also gone online since then.
;)
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Sacrificing an entirely unique character concept so that I might create one more in line with an active group would be a small sacrifice to me.
Helmite! Helmite! Helmite!

((seriously ...we have an active group and are recruiting....but so do other folks.. elffy frollikers, icemaidens, dwarves, prolly a secret sect of Sharrans I know nothing about............drop me a line if you're into Law, Order and keeping all the chaotic baddies in line! ;) ))
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Sargiel
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by Sargiel »

I'll be looking to return to ALFA once the Mac version has been patched to 1.23 (no doubt ALFA will be running on 1.23 by the time that happens..) and I have the expansions installed.

However I'm a bit confused in terms of knowing whether I need to reapply. When I login on the website I can access the Servers & Password page and all seems normal. But I did receive an email in March saying I'm inactive on the database (not a surprise) and I should click on the Sign Up! link and say I'm a returning member. Clicking on this however just brings up a 'You're not authorised" message unless I log out. Does this mean my log-in is recognised but my gamespy etc ID would have been lost so I will need to reapply regardless ?
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

If this is your original post, your forum name seems to have changed...that could be the source. If not, you might get good advice by posting in the tech issues forum or by PMing Acadiuslost.
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Sargiel wrote:I'll be looking to return to ALFA once the Mac version has been patched to 1.23 (no doubt ALFA will be running on 1.23 by the time that happens..) and I have the expansions installed.

However I'm a bit confused in terms of knowing whether I need to reapply. When I login on the website I can access the Servers & Password page and all seems normal. But I did receive an email in March saying I'm inactive on the database (not a surprise) and I should click on the Sign Up! link and say I'm a returning member. Clicking on this however just brings up a 'You're not authorised" message unless I log out. Does this mean my log-in is recognised but my gamespy etc ID would have been lost so I will need to reapply regardless ?
Welcome back. I don't know the answer to your question. But someone does.

Agree with JLM's recommendation to post in the "technical help desk" forum to get smarter eyes on it. We're just the welcome committee. :)
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Sargiel
Skeleton's Knuckle

Post by Sargiel »

Thanks guys - I've reposted in the Technical Helpdesk forum!
Vendrin
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Vendrin »

If you want to play evil with an honorable lawful twist, contact me. My Banite group is building up. FYI, your hours are a bit later then what we usually play. We are usually early evening PST
-Vendrin
<fluff> vendrin is like a drug
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

a bit late to this party, but if you want to play a rogue shoot me a PM. We play after 9pm Eastern time if that works for you.