Really basic noob questions

Forum group for all new player discussions.
Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Really basic noob questions

Post by Khazar Stoneblood »

Okay... I finally got everything installed and logged in, created my first character and even visited a store.

But I quickly realized that I have basically no experience with the NWN2 UI, and of course none with ALFA's implementation and protocols.

I did NWN1 ALFA, so I know the basic guidelines about when it's appropriate to use the different channels and such (it is the local channel that I should use as the default, correct?)... but I'm missing some basic knowledge of the UI.

First of all... where do I type in the text to speak? I saw the ability to select a language and have the input bar come up... will that text go into whatever channel I select in the chat window? I clicked all over that thing looking for the input section with no luck. If it is the bar that comes up when you select a language, should all emotes be in common?

Someone sent me a tell welcoming me and I was guessing the command to respond was /tell and the name that sent to me... but damned if I could figure out the appropriate place to type it in.

I'm really not looking to break the immersion of others while I fumble around with the UI, so if anyone can give me some pointers I'd appreciate it.

I'm a constant "text emoter" when I play as well. I tend to describe my character's actions in a lot of detail while I play (even when others aren't around... I'm a bit odd that way I guess). Are asterisks the accepted emote tag, as in *stares at the towering human while he picks his nose*?

Thanks for the help.
Current PC: I'm not tellin'. They die when I put their names here.
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Re: Really basic noob questions

Post by Xanthea »

Press enter to open the chat bar and then enter again to send whatever it is you typed.

A button at the bottom left of the screen will give you a menu of names. Click on one of them to automatically get the correct syntax to send that person a tell. Or /r in the main chat window will send a tell to the last person with a line of text on your screen.

Asterisks are the standard emote method.
Khazar Stoneblood
Dire Badger

Post by Khazar Stoneblood »

Thanks (and a big thanks to HEEGZ who walked me through a bunch in game).

Somethat as simple as pressing enter honestly never occured to me. I was clicking on the buttons and in the box but no text input window would come up. I finally found the "language" tool and was at least able to communicate using that before I was shown how not to appear to be such an idiot.

:oops:

Sorry to whoever sent me a tell when I first logged in who I ignored. I think I'm straight now (even though my control over my character probably will make everyone else on the server think I'm trying to RP drunkenness.
Current PC: I'm not tellin'. They die when I put their names here.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

That was me who sent you that tell.

Too late for apologies. I already logged in to IRC and flamed you as an arrogant non-responsive a$$hole..... your ALFA reputation is trashed! Might as well quit now. (But not until after you let your PC get killed by a hobgoglin on the road so I can stumble across the 300 gp worth of phat lewt! )
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

Khazar Stoneblood wrote: Sorry to whoever sent me a tell when I first logged in who I ignored. I think I'm straight now (even though my control over my character probably will make everyone else on the server think I'm trying to RP drunkenness.
Same thing happened to me! I was frantically trying to figure out how to do make my PC speak and reply to tells, and wvincenti explained it to me. I think Veilan thought I didn't like him after all these years (but I did know him as Alara, lol).

When Omegasage first joined I logged on and sent him a /tell saying welcome and when he didn't reply I sent him this long detailed instruction about how to reply to a tell (first apologizing for ruining his immersion). Then I waited and waited. I was thinking "Wow, either this guy just doesn't like me or really is completely incompetent!" Turns out that he was already in IRC chat and knew all along how reply.

Moral of the story: while you and I are incompetent n00bs, not every new player is! :P

Oh, and don't worry about your lack of control of the UI. I blazed a trail of incompetence for you so wide that nobody will even notice you on the path.
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock