<Insert Witty Greeting Here>

Forum group for all new player discussions.
Inlaa
Goblin Scout

<Insert Witty Greeting Here>

Post by Inlaa »

See thread name.

Well, I don't have much to say about myself; I've been playing D&D since I was six years old (blame my nerdy sisters) and really 'roleplaying' since about the same age, though it was obviously a more of a child's fantasy than anything then. I'll say I live in Texas, but I'm not too good with the cowboy hats and all that, just the eating of the food. I found ALFA through the NWN2 server scry lists and thought the concept sounded interesting. I actually wasn't able to reach these forums yesterday, so when I got the confirmation e-mail, I just hopped in-game and made Willow, my halfling of Kuldahar (kudos to you if you've played Icewind Dale).

Anyway, I'm very excited to inform you that not only did I have good fun roleplaying and enjoy the community's focus on that (which is a rare thing in D&D communities, really), I also got to quickly see my character almost get imprisoned (I'll not say why for or if she was innocent), which was actually more fun than it should have been since she practically was trying to put herself in prison in the end - Backwards city watch! They're taking BRIBES! -, but then, just before she hit level 2 (it felt like a landmark, a'ight?!), she was run through by a boar.

Well, crayola. But it has been an exciting experience so far nonetheless, and whether or not she survives (in the 'made a little less dead' way), I'll be here to stay, I think. (Though I think I'll take more caution when trying to save fallen allies next time. Well, maybe not. 'Depends on the character.)

Anyway, here's to the good first day, and here's to as many more days as I can get out of this. And if you're curious what we're "Here'sing" with, it's a fresh cup of water that I'm trying to turn into soda with my mind. I'll let you know how that goes.
kid
Dungeon Master

Re: <Insert Witty Greeting Here>

Post by kid »

Willow! Nooooooo!
(my leg! my poor poor leg!)

Or as some would have said:

WOLLOW!

Also: Aye. ALFA is harsh sometimes. And its good to find folks you can trust and know willl have your back when you fall. Takes some time (sometimes) but im sure you'll get it!
Been a pleasure as well.
Hurry back.
RP awaits!

P.S: IRC is good if you wanna chat with people off game to arrange meetings, or find a DM in a hurry. Just dont let the crazy banter get to you (:
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Inlaa
Goblin Scout

Post by Inlaa »

The IRC, you say? I'll hop into that and see what this Irking is all about, then. (Okay, that was bad.)

There's hope for Willow--Err, Wollow yet, though! Well, maybe. I mean, she's dead, yeah, I know... and she's probably missing a good chunk of her stomach, and probably her small intestine... yeah, and she-- Well, look, someone might bring her back yet. Details to go unspoiled, just in case. So, certain dwarves might yet get their mutated feet unceremoniously handled. Who knows?

('Course, I'm hoping she DOES "survive" in that sense. I've gotten a fondness for my own character, now. But, then again, I've several other ideas for characters if makes it she does not.)

Right, what was I saying-- IRC. Right. Checking-out and all that.
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Just remember this is not an MMO. It is very dangerous off the cobbled roads and while one might walk along the cobbled road to deliver mail or packages, being instructed to do so onto the trails is a very dangerous choice.

Always go with a party. Always bring friends. Less time played with friends is more rewarding than hours spent along not role-playing, but just wandering, tempting death.

I know from other PW that permadeath really is what defines Alfa. Although we have canon style rezzes, they take someone who wants to rez your character, and that means having friends or someone owing you to do so.

Without permadeath though, we'd have no ultimate consequence for our actions in-game. There would be no sacrifices and no great moments of loss or redemption.

It hurts when it happens, but in no way should that ever be a shameful event for you as a player. It is just another turn of the wheel and a chance for you to try something new, and let the living mourn and be transformed by the event.
Inlaa
Goblin Scout

Post by Inlaa »

Oh, don't worry. I'm not one to be terribly upset over my own character's deaths. I add consequences to games, sometimes, when there aren't any. If anything upsets me, anything, it's that the main reason I died is because of my misunderstanding of the server's mechanics (I.E.: My friend was stabilized and wasn't going to die because he had exactly 0 HP, but I'd gotten the impression that 'fall down and you're dead' and assumed he was ticking away). That's the only part that I'll grumble about.

...*Grumble*. See? Done.

Really, if I can keep the character somehow, that's freakin' grand. If not, oh well.
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Good attitude. Can't wait to see what your next character concept is.

And just so you know, I think that the majority of people lose their first character in the first, second or third level. It takes losing one to learn that ALFA is a harsh environment. But the people are friendly.

Personally, I would advise what has been said to me a dozen times in the last two weeks. Take IRC worth a grain of salt, and don't judge by it. Play and have fun.

Also, Rumple is running a match up for getting players into groups and dms to run them.

See this thread - http://www.alandfaraway.org/phpBB3/view ... =3&t=48774

Cheers
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
puny
Dungeon Master

Post by puny »

dont find much to ad, but: good luck with your second character
Inlaa
Goblin Scout

Post by Inlaa »

gonz.0 wrote:

Cheers
Odd -- I don't have permission to pull that thread up. Is that the norm'?
Stormseeker
Orc Champion

Post by Stormseeker »

Welcome aboard, and i say solo if your full of adventure and want a little bit of a rush. *grins* just have a lot of different pc's ready to roll up.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Inlaa wrote:
gonz.0 wrote:

Cheers
Odd -- I don't have permission to pull that thread up. Is that the norm'?
Obv not!
likely your forum rights have not been edited yet so you only see what non-members see.
Check on IRC who you need to PM about this. (My guess would be Hialmar but the fella is busy. just ask in general chat tommorow and someone would sort you out)
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Welcome aboard, you sound like a great fit for ALFA! Good luck on your next character.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Hi and welcome!

Forget IRC, stick to the forums and most of all in game. Good luck and have a good time! Cheers