Server Hopping

Forum group for all new player discussions.
klandearlas
Shambling Zombie

Server Hopping

Post by klandearlas »

Soooo...wanting to check out a few of the servers but not wanting to pi#$ off the powers that be and local community...what are the dos and donts of this? Obviously abiding by the 24 hour cool down period is a must but any other thoughts regarding this? IC...my guy is curious and wants to see the sights. As do I as a player :) hence the reason I made a bard and a devotee of selune...explorers and all but again dont want to offend anyone so figured it was best how not to? not a static munger (though new statics for when I happen to be alone given my timezone isnt a bad thing either) and hoping to get in on the various DM stuff floating around all the servers so long as they decide I can given travel time and all...ie tomorrow may be a dm run event but given travel time they may decide i cant because I am on ship in the middle of the sword sea or something which is understandable but with planning can be there.

Guess what I am saying love the work here on ALFA and simply dont want to get myself in shite because i didnt know the ins and outs of what to do and not what to do :)

If any players are of the same mind I am more than keen for them to join me in my little sojourn :)

So any thoughts are welcome :)

Thanks in advance

Dan aka Klan
Current PC: Ahmaego Hammerstriker, Shield Dwarf cleric of Clangeddin

Dead PCs: Several. Not to mention Taeros Moonstar. Killed by a Wolverine on BG. Avoid those little buggers at all costs!
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Re: Server Hopping

Post by t-ice »

My opinion, for what it's worth, would be that long as you're not getting involved in concurrent campaigns on different sides of the globe, it oughta be just peachy. You know, so that on Mondays you're saving Rivermoot from the orc onslaught, and on Thursdays you're hunting bandits around Baldur's Gate, and back and forth you go. So go as long as you can make a coherent narrative of your travels that mingles well enough with timelines of every server you visit, all is IC and well. Or in other words, travelers shouldn't hang their hats in several places at the same time.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Feathers get ruffled when the travel causes narrative inconsistency, and the idea of what exactly does that is pretty dang arbitrary-- T-eyes' suggestion sounds like it has a good shot at keeping people held together; keep involvement in things to one-off hits, and don't get entrenched in campaigns (or, if you do get entrenched in one, hang out to see it through).

But the internets are the internets. There will be ranting and complaining as if we've been on a rapid decline to World of Warcraft regardless of what any individual does (even on the points that are measurably better than they've ever been-- so a certain amount of ignoring the grump is valuable).
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Sorry to bump an old topic.. (was going to start my own but since its already been discussed here...)

Has the guideline (or rule?) recently changed at all? Are players granted more leeway for the sake of being with other players, but still want to be in their various campaigns? For what it's worth I personally try to go for narrative consistency and sacrifice RP with other players, if its more IC for my character to stay given a particular IC situation.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Travel at will. Server hopping is not longer a thing.
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
Wild Wombat
Frost Giant

Post by Wild Wombat »

See my sig. People have been traveling the realms since ALFA1. Other people have been complaining about it since ALFA1.

*shrugs*
Current NWN1: Murgen Kjarnisteinn (AKA Grumpy Scout)

Current NWN2: Muir Cheartach, AKA The Pale Faced Pie Man

R.I.P.: Croaker Lyosbarr, Knight of Yartar, Lord of Lhuvenhead (NWN1)

"In no uncertain terms, i am adamantly opposed to any ingame mechanics that penalize players for wanting to meet up with other players, when their goal is to roleplay." - White Warlock
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

Sorry, did we lift the 24 hour requirement on server travel cool down? I may have missed the memo if we did?

Anyone have a link on this if so?

Thanks
Regas
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

No, you must still wait 24 hrs to travel between non contiguous servers.

If you start making circular paths over a week to hit a bunch of stuff, then you might get hit for farming or DM hopping.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies