Help on application Bio.

Forum group for all new player discussions.
Falx
Goblin Scout

Help on application Bio.

Post by Falx »

I recently sent in an application to play on your servers and it was denied because of my bio. I understand that my sample bio didn't impress anyone since I kind of half assed it. I was just wondering why we can't use a bio of a character we plan on using. I really don't want to spend the time making an interesting character and then never get to use him. If there's no wriggle room around that rule that's fine, and I'll just suck it up. I would hate to lose the ability to play an interesting character that I create, especially since this server sounds like it has a very high attrition rate. Thank you.
maxcell
Githyanki

Re: Help on application Bio.

Post by maxcell »

hiya Falx,

Personally I think there is some wiggle room there, and I may be speaking out of turn here.

You can pm Danielmn and seek his help and advice, he is a very helpful guy and our Player Admin.

you can always seek help here, or in irc chat (at the left of the page) Dont be put off by the chattroom silliness, if you ask help is always there.

Edited to add - See? Look at all that freakin help below!!!
Last edited by maxcell on Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aitana
Dancing Queen

Post by Aitana »

Hello Falx,

To make a long story short the reason this rule was put in effect was to avoid any possible meta information being leaked about applicants future characters by applicant reviewers. There hasn't been an issue like this for awhile but to avoid it from ever happening again this rule was put forth.

My best advice to you or anyone else in your situation is to write up a bio for a character you have played in the past. This way you aren't putting that much work into it and writing about a character you have played in the past should come easier than writing up a new one.

I hope this helps some. If there is anything else I will try to help the best I can. We would love you to be a part of Alfa.

Aitana
Mikayla wrote:ALFA is truly the Magic Kingdom
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Here is an example of a bio for a in-game PC. Yours does not need to be this long but it needs to contain the elements of Pen and Paper style character sheet.

And I agree with hooking up with our PA Dan if you need more clarification or you want him to proof read your application.
Forum Name: J******
GSID: j***********

PC Name: Vale C***************
Gender & Race: Male Sun Elf
Class & Level: Monk 1 / Rogue 1
Deity: Everan Ilesere
Alignment: LG

Basic Description: Vale is a survivor of the Phaerimm attacks on Evereska who has left home to put distance between himself and the horrors of war he had witnessed there. He has just begun his travels and it is his hope that with enough time and distance his mind may find respite from what he has seen and endured.

STR 14
CON 12
DEX 14
INT 14
WIS 14
CHA 12

The Kaliesh’erai

PRE-GAME HISTORY:

Vale Clearwaters was in many respects a very fine example of what a young male Sun Elf should be, his hair was a bright radiant blonde, his eyes a clear crisp green, and his skin a healthy tone of sun kissed, and his face and voice always quick to smile or sound with joyous laughter. In his earliest years he studied archery, swordplay and arcana as is traditional amongst elves across the realms, upon his coming of age he eagerly joined the Vale Guard where he served as an archer and scout for several decades. Despite all outward appearances though, Vale always an almost nagging pull at the back of his mind, the recurring thought that he could be doing more then he was, though never a clear idea of what that more should or could be.

Eventually Vale Clearwaters left the Vale Guard to pursue his own interests or more so to have the time available to try and discover what it is his true interests were. The decades that followed were years of unhurried research and learning as Vale approached various languages and avenues of study in hopes of finding what it is that would feel right for him. Numerous times through what would begin as youthful enthusiasm and keen interest would fade until once more all that remained was a lack of fulfillment and listlessness. In time though Vale did find a place for himself where his interests did not wane and he was never lacking a sense of purpose.

It was after some decades of such living that his interest was truly piqued within the Hall of Kaliesh’erai. It was there amongst some of the far more eclectic and secretive elves of Evereska that Vale Clearwaters found what he believed was his place. The various ideas and philosophies explored by the psionics and scholars of Kaliesh’erai were all fascinating and refreshing to Vale in a way that nothing else had ever been to him. With a passion and dedication that appeared renewed with each new day, Vale threw himself headlong into Kaliesh’erai Hall studying the various histories of the planes and psionics, as well as adopting numerous practices and exercise to his daily life that were designed to aid in unlocking his true potential. For the first time in his adult life, Vale Clearwater truly felt at home, he felt as if he was where he should be and that all of the realms and planes were in agreement, there no longer existed any conflict or nagging tugs at the back of his mind, and that is when the enemy arrived.

The Pharimms and Shades arrived without warning into Vale Clearwaters calm and serine life, and with their arrive came horrors and hardships upon Vale and all he ever known unlike anything he had ever imagined possible. Unspeakable and unimaginable horrors of war became common place within Evereska as the Mythral failed and the enemy pursued a relentless attack upon the city. With every passing day more were struck dead, foul magics plagued the city’s population, the various clergy and healers of the great fortress home of Evereska were overwhelmed with those struck dead, blinded, crippled or injured by the fighting. Like so many others Vale Clearwater spent the many months of fighting feeling helplessness and scared, wishing there was more he could do to save the city and people he loved, but knowing that he like so many others were powerless against the might of such a foe as the Pharimms. Eventually though the great foe was driven back from Evereska and it’s people, though not before scars were carved across the cityscape and the hearts and minds of many of the survivors.

Perhaps disillusioned or blinded by what he bore witness to, the death that ran rampant through the streets of his home and wanton destruction that had reigned over his life, left their mark upon Vale Clearwaters. Food and wine had lost their flavor, the voices of those around him were muted and lifeless, no longer did the Halls of Kaliesh’eari hold his interest or any hope or promise for him. Eventually laughter began to return to the streets of Evereska, as did song and new life and hope as the great people of Evereska put forth efforts to rebuild their home and lives, for Vale Clearwaters though each new passing he spent witin Evereska was a reminder of the damage done and the sounds of so many dieing.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

We try to keep "live" bios somewhat confidential, need to know basis for patron DMs.

Application bios are kind of like dummy data since they're held in a less secure fashion. They are barely bios, just a short sketch and a hypothetical situation for IC reaction.

They weren't always cautioned to be dummy data only, gather there may have been suspicion of or proven abuse of "secret" info by folks who really shouldn't have had it, discipline issuing, but also the idea of "why put out temptation in the first place?"

So yeah. Deep dark secret rich bio where it's revealed themgleaming golden knight is actually a raving lunatic serving Gargauth with a sh*t eating grin, best that such tidbits be known to as narrow an audience as possible, like the DMs you're under, not the separate app reviewer crew or a larger group of folks with forum perms to see past apps.

Not an official PA answer but it's a shot!
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff