How to log your chat window

Forum group for all new player discussions.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

How to log your chat window

Post by danielmn »

After finding that many are not keeping sufficient logs...I will advize all to please download the client extendor and use it, as it sets up logs automatically. the extendor can be downloaded from here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nw ... ail&id=231

Simply veiw the readme for easy, quick installation. (all that is needed is unzipping the exe file, and then if wwanted creating a shortcut of the exe file to the desktop. the exe file will auto-start the game)

If you are having trouble with your logs, post here. Above all, make sure they are working!

If you are not using the extendor, I recommend installing the gnomish log rotator found here: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=ot ... ail&id=155
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
Swift
Mook

Re: Logging

Post by Swift »

Keep in mind, even with the client extender, some manual log organizing will still be required, as (unless it's changed in the last version or 2) it dumps the log all into 1 single file, which can rapidly grow in size for a regular player, which leads to very long load times and difficulty in finding specifics.

A weekly back up is not such a bad idea to keep the logs manageable.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

The latest version puts logs into folders by character name, and names files by the date, with new files generated at midnight, if you're logged in at midnight.

To be honest, I wasn't aware of any version less organized. It's been that way for me since March of last year; is there another semi-permanent place the logs are going other than /Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2/Logs/ ? %temp%/NWN2/Logs should be getting overwritten regularly.
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

noob question, why is logging needed? I have been avoiding the extension due to the reported lag instances associated with it.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Apparently you can avoid the lag by not using the map feature of the extension. Or so it was said. Though you do lose most of the point of the extension without the map features, you don't lose logging and crash-protection. I haven't tried yet, but since I was raising the lag issue, suppose I should.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

I have never noticed lag with the CE in current or previous versions.

Perhaps if I close the map or cut-and-paste text windows or other things I'd be blazing fast? I don't know.

But back to logging, yes, it is extremely organized. What could be more organized than by date right in the filename, right in a PC-named folder in the logs folder? I suppose it's always open to you to rename a given txt file into "Talks from 29 Feb CvC" if that helps flag more important records for you.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

1. Lag is from the map scanning the area.

2. Client Extender saves a master log in your C:/Atari/Nwn2 folder. It is called Nwn2report.log and will save every single thing you do and say as a PC or Dm if logging in enabled in the nwn2.ini file.

3. If you can't get the log rotator to work, it is easier to just make a short cut from the log folder in C:/Atari/Nwn2 on your desktop and manually date and save critical logs.

4. Logs will help you in a CvC or if you have a tech death. Logs will help you track metagaming if you are so inclined to stalk your fellow players.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

What are the benefits of the CE map other than being able to move someplace far away with a single click?

I always thought the disadvantages (opportunity to metagame, problems interacting with full screen, etc) outweighed the one benefit I was aware of. I currently have all CE windows closed other than the single window that has to remain open, per Zelknof's suggestion. I get automatically organized logs and better stability, which I think is good enough reason to use it; not sure I'd really ever use anything else regularly other than maybe copy/paste dialog options occasionally?
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

My logs look like shit. I don't get the very nice orderly logs that you people refer to..

Example:
Spoiler:
[00:48] You are dead.
[00:48] <color=cyan>DMFI Base System Version: dmfi_110</color>
[00:48] <color=cyan></color>
[07:34] You are dead.
[07:34] <color=cyan>DMFI Base System Version: dmfi_110</color>
[07:34] <color=cyan></color>
[19:50] There are currently 4 player(s) logged in to 4 server(s). Type "#users" for details.
[19:50] You appear to be running an older version of the Client Extension, and a newer version is available (recommended). View http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 31&t=43769 (ALFA Forums, New Players forum under ALFA General, Skywing's NWN2 Client Extension sticky thread) for details on how to upgrade.
[19:50] <color=cyan>DMFI Base System Version: dmfi_110</color>
[19:50] <color=cyan></color>
That right there, that's a whole days log.

And i've not found files named what CD is describing anywhere either..

EDIT: Ok, we're good.. They were just in another place and not at all named what CD said :)
Last edited by boombrakh on Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

I would recommend updating the client extendor first boom.

Issue resolved for Boom, just needed to be pointed in the right direction.

Logs can be found under My Documents/nwn2 folder. There will likely be a folder at the bottom that is named Logs. These contain daily logs, parsed at 12:00 AM...two sets. One is the combat logging, the other is chat logging. They are organized by day and dated.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

I-KP
Otyugh

Post by I-KP »

I'm also using an out-dated version of the CE tools (w/ all windows closed bar the DOS box style echo one - with the map window open it reduced the frame rate by 75% and that's on a 3.4GHz quad/HD6970/Win7-64 machine which is no slouch by any means) and I seem to have at least two kinds of logs: one set of logs for each day of play which contain nothing more than Boom's example, and another single nwn2log file which has every single line of text ever typed and recieved since I started playing - certainly an interesting read and wish I'd known this file existed for one or two [ancient history] disputes.

If I install the updated version of CE will I have to back up my log files first?
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

I think I know this, but what is the latest version, and can that file be linked directly rather than just the page it is on for those not so tech savy?
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

http://nwvault.ign.com/fms/Download.php?id=165080

The latestest ends in a 21, max.

No idea if the logs will need to be backed IKP, maybe copy/paste to a seperate folder o the desktop, then update, and check so we know? That information would be appreciated.

Basilica
Orc Champion

Post by Basilica »

You shouldn't need to back up the logs to update to a newer version. The old combined log file continues to get appended to, and new stuff also goes to the split-out log files under Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\Logs.
- Basilica