Hail, and well met!

Forum group for all new player discussions.

Which character do you feel will enhance ALFA servers the most?

Poll ended at Fri Feb 17, 2012 4:17 pm

1. Divine Villain
18%
2. Charming Rogue
18%
3. Eccentric Bard
18%
4. Conniving Wizard
45%

Total votes: 11

MrMagniloquent
Goblin Scout

Hail, and well met!

Post by MrMagniloquent »

I am new to ALFA, and I thought I might offer a choice of preference between some personalities that I have had great successes with on past permanent death, role-play servers. Characters listed in no particular order. My ability to play each is equal.

1. Human, Female, Stormlord
Intense, uncompromising, fanatical. Expert at wreaking havoc not only through destructive methods, but on the minds & consciences of others.

2. Gold Elf, Female, Arcane Trickster
Eloquent, charming, flirtatious, glory-hound. Frequently pranks others. Expert manipulator and "swiss army knife" incarnate.

3. Gnome, Male, Bard/AT
Eccentric, excitable, possibly disturbed. A dreamer, very long-winded, and easily distracted. Expert at riddles and speaking in rhyme.

4. Gnome, Male, Wizard
Brilliant, self-absorbed, scathing dry wit. Duplicitous, cunning, completely self-interested. Expert tactician, negotiator, walking encylopedia.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Hail, and well met!

Post by Zelknolf »

Welcome!

If I can sneak in a recommendation: you sound like you're excited about these concepts, and I should warn that permadeath is quite brutal on concepts that you like and are excited about. You might try a relatively-generic unaligned character first: one who won't ruffle anyone's feathers and can converse with the people around. See who you get along with, and who you play well with. Then, when that character invariably dies (we do often say "Good luck with your second character!" here), you'll know who you see in game and who you like playing with, and can make a character who fits well with that group.

At least, I'd hate to see you get discouraged by losing a character you really like because kobolds with crossbows get critical hits sometimes (and it can be difficult to identify which places are dangerous right out of the gate, as our NPCs are not much the Elder Scrolls sort who throw in-character warnings at you every time you interrupt their pathfinding).
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

Hey there, and welcome to the land of milk and honey (and blood of the firstborn characters).

Zelk gives sound advise, though of course, you ought not create something entirely bland that you will regret if you do manage to find the ropes quickly and get familiar with the world.

In any case, if you have any questions, do not hesitate to ask old hares here, via PM, elsewhere on the board or in game!

Cheers,
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Any of the above with the exception of gnomes or elves. Gnomes should be KoS. Elves too.

Welcome to ALFA and good luck on your second character! :)
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

Hello, welcome and play a Gnome! :doh:
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

Play friendly, "easy to get along with" at least until you have met the other PC's. Once you're comfortable IG and with the players in your gametime zone, then play what is fun.

Or...just play what is fun from the beginning.

Oh...and good luck with your second PC :D

And yes...gnomes and Frisians are KoS ;)
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Aitana
Dancing Queen

Post by Aitana »

Hey there and welcome to Alfa. I would say as for the character you should play if you haven't already chosen take the four characters there and play the one you are the least attached to first. Or you could just throw them all into a hat and draw one, I don't really recommend that though ;). Whatever you choose I look forward to seeing you in game.

Aitana
Mikayla wrote:ALFA is truly the Magic Kingdom
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

If you make another Arcane T I will kill you when you log.

EDIT: oh and welcome and all that. take into account that first toons dont allways make it. dont wander alone try and meet folks who can help you along.
Most of us are frindly OOC, even those who play jerks.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

Welcome Mr M!
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Welcome aboard.
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

hollyfant wrote:Hello, welcome and play a Gnome! :doh:
Gnome! :doh:
< Signature Free Zone >
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Welcome aboard!

What's your timezone? If you're a Euro, come to Moonshaes and I'm calling dibs on your Thu afternoons ;)

Be aware that prestige classes are more than character builds here. Know the lore behind them well, and don't expect to be necessarily allowed into the class at first mechanical opportunity. Also be prepared that it takes months of gametime to get to that mechanical opportunity, if your PC survives (which is good since there is time to build a story about it). Find out about the nook of the fantasy relam your character would live, and see who would be there to support his aspirations. Including but certainly not limited to PrCs.

I would advice against playing an obvious antagonist, like a cleric of Talos, from the get-go, but the choice is yours. Subtle is pretty much against their religion, and ICly most characters would just not touch one with a ten foot, rubber-insulated pole. Could make you feel unwelcome as a player, when it's really all in the character.