Skywing's NWN2 Client Extension

Forum group for all new player discussions.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

This handy NWN2 add-on fixes a lot of problems endemic to NWN2.
Skywing wrote:- Fixed a bug that causes wizards to randomly crash on transition if they have metamagic on spell hotbar buttons.
- Point and click movement is now responsive (as WASD is) even on laggy servers.
- A better reply command (/re) is added. /re replies to the last tell you received and doesn't get distracted by non-tell chat, or by you sending a tell.
- Area transitions no longer forget that you had Darkvision up.
- An option to walk by default (and run on SHIFT) for point and click movement is now available.
and many other fixes and features. Highly Recommended for all players and DMs. The link in the first message in the thread takes you to the most recent version. Installation has been made very simple.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Regas
ALFA Representative

Re: Skywing's NWN2 Client Extension

Post by Regas »

I could use some help intalling this, I'm not finding documentation and i don't want to screw it up, does it get placed into the documents file for nwn2?
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
NESchampion
Staff Head - Documentation

Post by NESchampion »

The documentation is the readme contained in the "ClientExtension_Latest" ZIP folder that you download from the link.

I'll give this a try in the next couple days to see how well it works.
Current PC: Olaf - The Silver Marches
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

I read the readme file...I'm admittedly not the sharpest hook in the kreel, but I found nothing telling me where to put what, only something vague about two files needing to stay together. I tried the launcher (which is apparently recommended), but it doesn't allow for logging in as DM and crashes at the select character point anyway :(
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

johnlewismcleod wrote:I read the readme file...I'm admittedly not the sharpest hook in the kreel, but I found nothing telling me where to put what, only something vague about two files needing to stay together. I tried the launcher (which is apparently recommended), but it doesn't allow for logging in as DM and crashes at the select character point anyway :(
Catch me in chat.
- Curmudgeon
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

You can put the files anywhere, as far as I know. Personally, I made a folder in "My Documents" called "NWN2_Clientextension" and unpacked everything into there. I open that up, and hit the nwlauncher program; it launches NWN2 for me.

You need to make a custom shortcut to launch it for the dm client; but other than that the installation is easy.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Thanks AL...that got me into the player client successfully :D

Now I just need to see if it can sort my DM client woes, heh 8)

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

K...got into TSM with Nightwing's client :D

It didn't fix my bug :(

Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

JLM, see if you can find the error log generated when NWN2 crashes. The file name will be "nwn2_errorlog.txt" and it is created in the game installation folder.

In Windows7, open the AtariNeverwinterNights2 folder and look at the top for a button labelled "Compatibility Files". I've also been able to find it using advanced search functions.

Copy the file and send it to me or AL.
- Curmudgeon

wvincenti
Rust Monster

Post by wvincenti »

Oh nice, I'll try to install that tonight.

-Bill
  • Currently NWN1 ALFA: Ryld Ky'bler
    Currently NWN2: Gwindor Faelivrin, still not actually dead!

Formerly: Timyin Tim, Glorfindel Inglorion and Beleg Thalionestel amongst others.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

The latest version (1.0.0.20 build date March-15) has several new features, including added support for full-screen windowed operation, and chat logging!

Have I mentioned that it lets you set up a series of spellcasting macros that can be tied to a single quick key?
- Curmudgeon

I-KP
Otyugh

Post by I-KP »

I've not seen much benefit with the Skywing CE. In some game areas the framerate is dramatically reduced and/or becomes very stuttery, something that doesn't occur without the CE enabled; this behaviour has been observed on three distinct machines. I can't say I've seen a reduction in crashes using it either, but then I rarely crash on AT in ALFA without the CE enabled. (However, Exodus is another matter entirely - that crashes on AT more frequently than a cash-strapped drug addict thus on balance Skywing CE might be beneficial for use there. Not tested.)
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Tried this with the DM client. The group move commands in particular seemed very neat, if not so easy to use. And the possibility to use creature special abilities on DM command seemed neat. However, the result was that running the DM client through the extension created a persistent second-or-two lag on every command. Regardless whether the command was given in the extension window, or the game window. In one session drove me up the wall, and not used since. Shame, really.

Dunno about AT crashes. On Amn it seems to very consistently happen to certain people, and practically never on others. Might be interesting to make an experiemnt switching bics, to see whether is has more to do with the machine on the player end or something that the character sheet has or has not (Including things like quickbarred actions, "modes" active etc). Creating any kind of convincing statistics is bound to be a Herculean task, though.
I-KP
Otyugh

Post by I-KP »

t-ice wrote:Dunno about AT crashes. On Amn it seems to very consistently happen to certain people, and practically never on others. Might be interesting to make an experiemnt switching bics, to see whether is has more to do with the machine on the player end or something that the character sheet has or has not (Including things like quickbarred actions, "modes" active etc). Creating any kind of convincing statistics is bound to be a Herculean task, though.
As a consistent AT crasher on Exo, i.e., when it happens it happens repeatably, the Frippet is available for testing if you need it; you only need ask. Understandable if you don't test though as the list of possible culprits is daunting to say the least.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

t-ice wrote:However, the result was that running the DM client through the extension created a persistent second-or-two lag on every command.
This is not unique to the client extension. I've been tried to work with Skywing to isolate appearances of the bug (that is, instances where the command -> server action lag is notably greater than the lag between server action -> client informed and notably greater than other actions-- like messaging via IRC) and have been unable to describe a specific pattern to it, and there's thus little he can do to fix it.

If you have any information about the circumstances in which this happened, I'd be keen on what you know-- and hearing of it being reproduced with the CE might actually help narrow the potential culprits down.