Area Template (interior + exterior)

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Area Template (interior + exterior)

Post by Galadorn »

Hello, could someone please create the simplest 100% ALFA ready area template, with all the needed default settings, PvP settings, and scripts, already in it for INTERIOR and another for EXTERIOR and make it available for download somewhere please.

It would help very much, if after DL, import, and duplication, I could just simply start building in the area and then bake, save, test, modify, save, bake, test, zip, email, voila: ready for ALFA module.

Is this even possible?

Does this dream area need to be sized?

If yes, could someone do the above for 7 seperate basic interior areas please....
(i plan to build: houses, shops, taverns, inns in major bulk)

sizes:

1x1
1x2
2x2
2x3
3x3
6x6
12x12

They could be named:

temparea1x1
temparea1x2
temparea2x2
temparea2x3
temparea3x3
temparea6x6
temparea12x12

Possible?

This would save so many questions in #alfa-tech IRC and #alfa-builders IRC, as it seems most of my questions are about settings/scripts that i assume need to be set just once on a template area, and forever not need to be changed again. Or am I way off?

Just looking to get to a point where i can build away without bothering anyone, and only interupt others when it's time to send new areas/interiors to HDMs.

Aside: That being said, and if anyone needs some "filler" built for modules (interiors not built yet), or any DMs want temporary one shot DM session special areas made and they'd rather not bother doing it themselves, i'd be happy to take orders (when i'm up and running) anytime.

Cheers,

~Matt
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Re: Area Template (interior + exterior)

Post by Galadorn »

Can a human being please let me know if the above is even possible please.
It's a start just knowing if what i'm asking for is even possible.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

You should be able to copy and paste the areas in the buildmod. I haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty sure I did this in the past with another area. Will try to sort it out on Saturday if no one else replies by then.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

The buildmod I was directed to, had 2 areas:

000_fugue_plane
000_start

Both of which had literally nothing in them at all, not even a default floorplan. Still use these?
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

and thank you very much HEEGZ and Zelknolf for your patient help so far.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

HEEGZ, when you get a chance, even if you have any "already approved" area, don't matter name, etc, if you could maybe export and email this i can start building while I wait. Possible?
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

All the scripts and settings are overwritten when you import your areas into the mod. You don't need to do any of that.

And if you are looking for generic areas, download the MS module and use all the areas marked "generic." Remember every single Inn and area (especially canon ones) needs to be unique as well as blending in with the economic level of the place it is located in.

So your steps should be:

Saving:
Save as folder for all your work. Do not save as module.

Go into settings and turn off the auto-save option.

When you save each new area needs to be named and tagged by clicking the area name, then adjusting the area properties.

Each area needs a unique name and tag or it will not open to preview and will crash the module. This is crucial if you are copying areas you already made.

Consolidate interiors. If you noticed most areas ingame are all in one spot. This makes it easier for dms to find areas in the chooser and to jump from space to space in a timely fashion. Such as area "Cantrev Horstall: Interiors"

Building:
1. Work with an alfa build module
2. Build an area that matches the footprint of the building it will be connected to

a. Placeables (making sure to include kemo or sittable chairs)
b. Rest area triggers and walkmesh cutter adjustments via terrian or walkmesh cutters
c. Create NPCs or using old NPCS for area (same for stores)
d. Create spawn points for NPCS and Stores via generic spawn points with resrefs from above (can teach this, is quite easy)
e. Convert all non-walkmesh placeables to environmental objects (like the stage or a bridge has a walkmesh, and a table does not)
d. Bake
f. Connect all doors and ats with each other.

4. Check the Module:
a. Are all placeables flush with the ground or level they are supposed to be at?
b. Are all tiles matching the right sides and all walls solid?
c. Clicking on the wireframe and baked buttons: Did all the walkmeshes bake properly? Are all areas accessible with the unbroken yellow lines?
d. Are all trees and plants buried in the ground?
e. Are all the doors and ats properly linked with unique tags?

5. Prepping the Module to Send
Via Erf:
1. Hit "export", go to "Areas" select the areas you wish to export over.
2. Get NWN2packer.exe from the Vault
3. Open ERF in the NWN2packer and remove all the files that are not custom items or creatures or stores that you have named. This will also remove all the scripts that possibly might overwrite on to the mod (any one can tell you which files to keep, they are usually the ones with the area name on them, and any other new custom files)
4. Hit save on NWN2packer then close. RAR your files into a rar. file. Name the file with the date like "GaladornsCantrevHosr11.11.2011.rar"
5. Email or upload files to the FTP in a folder with your name on it
6. Write a detailed PM or email EXACTLY what your ERF contains and where it should go.
7. Wait.

Via Files:
1. Go to your local modules folder in your local NWN2 folder.
2. Find the folder that goes with your module
3. Open the folder and use the search function to find the areas you wish to send.
4. Then fice files will pop up for each area: .ARE .GIC .GIT .TRN .TRX. You will need to also copy any new things you created that go specifically with those new areas.
5. Copy those files and paste them into a new folder on your desktop.
6. Rar all the files into a rar file. Name the file with the date if possible.
7. Upload to the FTP or Email
8. Write a detailed explanation of what is in your rar.
9. Wait
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Hmm, I'd recommend giving that a shot first Galadorn. I haven't actually worked up the nerve to fire up the toolset just yet, and likely won't before Saturday.
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Thank you all. I am getting a template area now.

I'll follow those instructions Cloud, thank you much.

Whenever you state "name", and new "tag", etc, can you edit your post and include a naming convention example when you get a chance.

One question, when baked and walkmeshes are checked, sometimes the YELLOW wireframe walkmeshing only happens on say 1 out of 4 tiles... for example a 4x4 area, only 1 of the tiles ends up "walkable" since the bake/save does not work somehow, and when tested, the test PC of course cannot walk to the other 3 tiles. ((this is all pretty early stuff, i know, but this also might be just some little toolset quirk that can be fixed easily - if so how to fix that missing walkmesh?))

Thanks again,

~Matt
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Could be too many placeables down, or something is placed in a way that is causing it to bake that way. Sometimes it is obvious, other times not. You can try deleting a couple of things and then rebaking to see if you can figure out what it is. There is something else to try too but I can't think of it (maybe to do with environmental object or not).
Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Cool, yes, i will try a few of those things, i'm placeable extra-heavy (for realism/feel) so if "too many placeables" might cause this problem, i'm betting it is so. Thanks again HEEGZ.
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Three possible problems:
1. Too many placeables in the cell area
2. Too many placeables that overlap the cell boundaries (as in the red grid lines which you should have turned on )
3. Walkmesh items or helpers that are too close to the cell boundaries or cross over cell boundaries
4. Items that are overlapped into grid spaces with no tiles baked (that overlap into black space)

Solutions:
1. Convert them to environmental objects
2. Move placeables off the red grid lines
3. Walkmesh items should never overlap the grid areas. Things like walkable beds, benches, and platforms will have to be moved about a "foot" away from walls.