Creatures!

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Re: Creatures!

Post by Ronan »

Its not buggy as far as I know, but there are/were namespace conflicts which can lead to bugs. All known ones have been resolved but a few might still remain. I included a script to find duplicate filenames between the module and campaign folders for this reason; details are in the ABR forums. Currently the biggest issue in the repo is removing unwanted blueprints before widespread adoption. Removing them later can lead to null resource references because NWN sucks and has no way to verify resources at build-time.

Anyone with access to the ALandFarAway organization should have access to the campaign folder as it is part of that organization. Is your SSH key being rejected?
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Ronan wrote:Its not buggy as far as I know, but there are/were namespace conflicts which can lead to bugs. All known ones have been resolved but a few might still remain. I included a script to find duplicate filenames between the module and campaign folders for this reason; details are in the ABR forums. Currently the biggest issue in the repo is removing unwanted blueprints before widespread adoption. Removing them later can lead to null resource references because NWN sucks and has no way to verify resources at build-time.

Anyone with access to the ALandFarAway organization should have access to the campaign folder as it is part of that organization. Is your SSH key being rejected?
Ah, yeah, I have access. Thanks!

Was there any decision as far as mob names go? Fixing faction/DM text, also putting in a bit of player text. We seem to have it for some mobs but not others.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

sorry Foam, Tyran = Tyrannosaur. Likely not something that will ever be used more than a couple times.
Swift wrote: Permadeath is only permadeath when the PCs wallet is empty.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

<Castano>: danielnm - can you blame them?
<danielmn>: Yes,
<danielmn>: Easily.

"And in this twilight....our choices seal our fate"
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Thanks Dan!

- - - - -

Doing an audit of creatures/AIs, seeing where we stand.

AI

When one creature is attacked, all nearby instances of that faction becomes hostile to the player. This means that a "Commoner" badger can get attacked, and a nearby warrior of the same class will become hostile. This should be removed until it can be fixed. We could do a couple of things.
  • Add more factions, to separate them more. This should lessen the issue.
  • Change the script to work with local ACR variables, and support 'groups', or other conditions.

CREATURES

Notes when appropriate. Only done with a few categories so far...

Brownie - Appears to be from Adventure Locales: The Silent Manse. However, stats do not match that documentation.
Cloud Giant - Invalid faction, AC, saves...
Domesticated Dogs - Separated by color, but they're all the same color visually? Except for {White}... which is black.
Fire Giant - Will save too low, missing other properties.
Flesh Golem - Odd appearance, look into changing. Has 30 less HP than it should.
Frost Giant - Incorrect abilities, saves, HP...
Gnoll - Should have 15 AC, not 13.
Goblin - Incorrect AC (should have leather armor).
Hill Giant - Iron will and great fortitude, then manually removing that bonus? Why?
Hobgoblin - Should have 2 less HP, 4 more AC.
Jermlaine - Grayhawk creature? If only Grayhawk, remove.
Lizardfolk - 2 less HP.
Mind Flayer - Acceptable, but note below.
Mind Flayer (Pyrokineticist) - Functions slightly better, and used a tentacle attack that I didn't see on the first Mind Flayer. But, could find no reason for that.
Ogre - Incorrect AC, 1 extra HP
Ogre (Barbarian) - Wrong HP, AC.
Pixie - Incorrect size category (and hence AC). Abilities incomplete/incorrect.
Redcap - HD 11-12 version with the CR of an HD 9-10? Various stats incorrect. Suggest converting into MM3 "Young Redcap" and also adding an "Elder Redcap".
Stone Giant - Incorrect will saves. Seems to be a common pattern. Reason?
Storm Giant - AC incorrect (27, not 17), missing electricity immunity and freedom of movement.
Wyvern - Incorrect natural AC, should be +8 instead of +10. Should not have improved initiative. Check poison status. Not set to use wings, talons, or beaks either.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Right, rather than somewhat arbitrarily pick individual monsters, I really think categories is the way to go.
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri Feb 01, 2013 5:45 am, edited 3 times in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

Foam, please look at this page

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=37

and tell me if we can import a hak like this to use the models for our own without complications. I'll gladly go through and do the toolset work for these if we can get them in.
Last edited by danielmn on Thu Jan 31, 2013 6:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zyrus Meynolt: [Party] For the record, if this somehow blows up in our faces and I die, I want a raise

FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

danielmn wrote:Foam, please look at this page

http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=Ha ... il&id=1684

and tell me if we can import a hak like this to use the models for our own without complications. I'll gladly go through and do the toolset work for these if we can get them in.
Downloading now. Wish they had posted screens.

Edit: That's for Neverwinter Nights 1!
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Okay, need to decide something on equipment. Do we give mobs the armor and weapons they have in PnP? If so, is it fair to then make these items not drop on death?
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

We gave some giants Toughness in place of other 3.5 abilities NWN2 does not have, because it seemed giant-y. Thus, higher HP. I thought their ability scores were correct, but if not thats an error. If saves and skills differ from canon they are most likely errors as well. Typically the substituted abilities were feats, spells and spell-like abilities. The giants they were based off of were all kinds of crazy, so some probably leaked through.

MF AI has always kind of sucked. Not as bad as beholders, but like beholders sometimes they don't use their special abilities often enough. The Pyrokineticist is redjool; not a canon mob. Since the existing high-CR MF blueprints appeared utterly worthless I stuck it in there as a quick-fix to give DMs something usable. IMO we might as well keep it.

The redcap is indeed supposed to be an elder from BG. Not sure if they're built right.

Other stuff is Riot's, and I can't comment.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Redjool! Okay, that was Rhaggot-ese for a jerk mind flayer who kept setting us all on fire, he had a ruby in his head. Red... jewel. We don't have psionics in NWN2 so I gathered that "a lot of fire themed powers that couldn't be silenced" (probably an Epic automatic silent spell feat, whatever it's called) was probably used. Plot baddy, not someone you'd just see hanging around with four cloaks hanging from his tentacles.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Note: I'm holding off on this likely until Saturday.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

I'm gonna start making monsters this saturday and generally curating what we have. I'll be working off dan's critters plus BG's.

They will go into the builder share creature folder for now.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Be sure that if you are editing current creatures that you aren't doing something someone else already did.

You can download the latest version of the campaign project here: http://foam.rp-addict.com/tmp/ALFA-Campaign.zip

I have audited the following categories:
  • 0_AnimalsDire
  • 0_Animals
  • 0_Constructs
  • 0_Dragons
  • 0_Fey
  • 0_Giants
Ithildur may (or may not) be working on 0_Humanoids.

Curmudgeon has requested that we build snakes.
danielmn
Fionn In Disguise

Post by danielmn »

K, I'll try to be about sat. I dm at 3 pm est.

I think if we ALL get BG's creatures, and start working through categories splitting them up between us, it will go a lot faster. After we are done with all BG has, we can look at what MS/TSM has that BG doesn't, and add those into the folder.

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Assuming you're referring to the campaign folder Dan, the BG team has already exported most of its worthwhile, re-usable stuff into the folder. A lot of what remains is fairly integrated (such as narcotics, and things with custom moral scripts) or horribly redundant. I'm fairly certain Riot did the same for MS, though I don't know how far he got. He did convert many of its spawns to campaign folder spawn groups.

If you're looking to use BG's creatures without using the campaign folder, you can download it here.

To anyone play-testing creatures, I would highly recommend swapping out the blueprints into a running mod vs. rebooting the mod. Its much, much quicker. To do this, save the blueprint in the toolset and copy it into the mod's working directory (usually contained within a temp directory), overwriting the old blueprint. Then re-spawn the creature, and it will show all the changes you've made. This can be done with any blueprint actually, and probably something Tech could exploit.