Special Abilities

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Special Abilities

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Hi,
So I'm making a new creature blueprint and the mob in question has Freball as a spell-like ability. In the list of Special Abilities there are 3 Fireballs. First question is, "Why?", second is how do you tell which works, because when testing my new creature it perfoms all the right animations and you get the special effect of the casting and a satifyingly large explosion but the target takes no damge repeatedly. All pointers welcome.
Cheers,
TnD
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Re: Special Abilities

Post by Curmudgeon »

As I understand it, the NWN2 Special Abilities were imported pretty much intact from NWN1, and there are several abilities with apparently duplicate entries (see "hurl rock"). I suspect the differences may be due to differences in CL or other fine details. As for why no damage ensues, I am at a loss. Is the target of a faction that is hostile to the caster and rules for the test server set to less than Hardcore?
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

If memory servers similar issues are there with alchemy items as special abilities (presumably giving the "acid flask" etc special ability is how AI knows how to use a alchemical item its been given). All the right things show, but in the end, a dud.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Curmudgeon wrote: As for why no damage ensues, I am at a loss. Is the target of a faction that is hostile to the caster and rules for the test server set to less than Hardcore?
This is on the Live server with the creature in question and generic NPC X slugging it out. Other spell-like abilities appear to be dangerous enough.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

Give it one shot of each fireball and see what happens?

By the way, my understanding is that "number of uses" on spell-like abilities do nothing - there's always one shot per ability? (Though you can give the same ability twice for two shots.)