Setting up to build for ALFA (UPDATED for 1.22 / SoZ)

For toolset tutorials as well as question and answers.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Setting up to build for ALFA (UPDATED for 1.22 / SoZ)

Post by AcadiusLost »

[edit]Do Not Use - files linked below are outdated!
-Curmudgeon, 12-Dec-2010[/edit]

What you need to know:

ALFA's haks have many special resources included which expand a builder's options in the toolset. However, unless your toolset and install are configured properly, you may have trouble finding them, or your work may not turn out compatible with ALFA modules once it's finished. There are quite a few things to get straight in order to test/toolset a full-fledged Live module; but the good news is that most sorts of building can be done under much simpler conditions.

Please remove any older Builder Override resources you may have downloaded in the past. These may conflict with current ones and cause many problems with future building.

For most of our hak updates, we're integrating various packs of placeables, item models, tilesets, or scripted systems developed by outside members of the NWN2 community. In order to ensure compatibility with ALFA's modules, make sure you only download materials from the ALFA website. Even though we use many of the same resources as a number of other persistent worlds, they may not work if they are from a non-ALFA source, due to some complications of how resources are read by Neverwinter Nights 2.

If you just want to start learning to build areas, items or creatures: (clothes for your PC, shields to go into some of the shops, armor forged by your PC via use of the Craft Armor skill)
  • Download the ALFA Builders Module: http://download.alandfaraway.org/builde ... mod_01.rar As long as your haks are up to date (worldgate or direct download), this should allow you access to all the clothing, accessory, weapon, and armor models in the haks. I will post a how-to on toolsetting armor and weapons a bit later. Note; the module will unpack as a directory; use the Open Directory option in the toolset to open it, this is the preferred method of working for ALFA's builders.
If you want to start building more advanced interior areas, using our extra custom tilesets: (Deep Chasms, Deep Halls, Cathedrals, Citadels, Ship Interiors, RWS Dungeons, Deep Sewers)
Unpack the Builder Icons into your /Program Files/Atari/Neverwinter Nights 2/NWN2Toolset/Tiles folder. This will allow you to see what shape the new custom interior tiles are and place them in new areas.

Next, unpack the Builder Overrides into your /My Documents/Neverwinter Nights 2/override folder. Overrides can cause problems with other Persistent worlds, modules and campaigns, so use with caution! Outdated overrides can cause problems as well. The overrides ONLY need to be in place WHILE you are placing custom tileset tiles. I strongly recommend removing them from your /override folder at all other times. Also, remember to always clear your override folder before patching NWN2.

You should now be able to make areas including custom tilesets. Please note that ACR functions, persistency, scripts, static quests, and spawns will not function inside this building test module. These advanced functions require more complex setup, and will be covered in a separate posting.

Special thanks to Curmudgeon, for helping to assemble the Buildmod.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Re: Setting up to build for ALFA (UPDATED for 1.22 / SoZ)

Post by Rotku »

Thanks AL!

And Curm!
< Signature Free Zone >
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

A few notes to new builders: the very first thing you should do when you open the Toolset is to Turn Autosave Off. To do this, go to View|Options. In the window that opens up, on the General tab, set Autosave to False.

While you have this window open, you may want to go to the Security section and change AllowPlugins to Load All Plugins, particularly if you want to use the Sin Plugin as in HEEGZ' How-To directions. Close the windows and exit the Toolset.

If you have questions, or just want to talk about building, we have an IRC channel dedicated to Toolsetting: #alfa-builders

There's nearly always someone available to give you a hand.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

A big thank you to both of you. :jive:
dob85y
Ogre

Post by dob85y »

Love your work, thanks heaps
"thats dob85y, sound it out! - d o b b s y"
"Hey man, this aint no game, this is serious"

Shiver

Previous Toon
Ward Halliams - Priest of Kelemvor
Tirus Blazingeye
Ryu Yahchamazina Shield of Helm - Everwatch Knights
Aelred
Builder

Post by Aelred »

Thanks so much for organizing everything you guys! Great job.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

The ALFA_SoZ_BuilderOverrides.rar file does not have as many files in it as previous override downloads (e.g. placeables.2da). Does that mean we should use the old versions of the missing files or are they no longer necessary?
TnD
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Teric neDhalir wrote:The ALFA_SoZ_BuilderOverrides.rar file does not have as many files in it as previous override downloads (e.g. placeables.2da). Does that mean we should use the old versions of the missing files or are they no longer necessary?
TnD
No longer necessary.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

Nice job folks.
AsteroidX
Brown Bear

Post by AsteroidX »

link to items building download is broke to me.
zicada
Infrastructure Prawn

Post by zicada »

AsteroidX wrote:link to items building download is broke to me.
Aye, waiting on AL to upload the current one to the main server,- as the server that was hosting those broke down and died a horrible death 10 or so days ago.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Richard Dawkins
furtivefigure
Dungeon Master

Post by furtivefigure »

So when will the download links be working again? I'm keen to start building. I have the buildmod, just need the overrides and icons.
Past characters: Shallac of Swordstone, Egg

Current character: ?
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

AcadiusLost wrote:
I was unable to download the buildmod from this link. I couldn't figure out how to update it, perhaps someone can do so please?
zicada
Infrastructure Prawn

Post by zicada »

Links updated.
"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust, unforgiving control-freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." -- Richard Dawkins
zicada
Infrastructure Prawn

Post by zicada »

Copy/Pasted to the Builders download area.