Creating RP Spells

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Creating RP Spells

Post by FoamBats4All »

So, people on IRC got onto this idea and said they'd create more RP spells if they could.

First off, let me say that (I'm assuming) our tech team isn't closed to new members! You do not need to be a supercoder to help the community out. Tech work can be fun! If there are tools such as the one I'm about to introduce that can help people get on board to make content, please post threads requesting such.

Second off, this is not a debate topic. You hate RP spells, you love RP spells, whatever. Take it elsewhere, this topic is for help modifying spells.2da.

- - - - -

Back in June, when I took up the task of adding the RP spells, I created a tool to help me create the spells.

You can download this tool here: http://foam.rp-addict.com/dev/QuickSpel ... erator.zip

Here's a description of the fields. Hovering your mouse over one gives information, but there are some additional things people should note.
Info
ID - Ignore this, the tech member adding your submission to the 2da will cover it.
Label - NO SPACES, name of the spell.
Name, SpellDesc, AltMessage - These fields reference the tlk file. Send me your names/descriptions of the spell (basically we'll just copy from SRD), I can add it manually to the tlk.
IconResRef - The icon of the spell. Go to your NWN2 installation directory, then into "UI\default\images\icons". You may use any icon, but typically NWN2 spell icons start with is_.

Target
Here, please always select items at the very least. This allows the spell to be put onto scrolls, potions, and wands via our new crafting system.

Output
Once you have put in your information, click the "regenerate output" button to get your 2DA line. Paste that here, and it will be lined up to be in the next 2da.

- - - - -

The eventual goal is to have most of the RP spells. However, I have a few notes.

1. I will not implement Fly, you'll have to find someone else to. Good luck.
2. I would prefer people focus on spells for paladins, druids, rangers, and bards. Wizards and clerics will get more spells by side effect, but I'd like to give the non-main casters love.

You can find SRD spell lists here: http://www.d20srd.org/indexes/spellLists.htm

Happy teching. If you have any questions, feel free to post here.
Rumple C
Bard

Re: Creating RP Spells

Post by Rumple C »

Would that i had the time!

<3 RP spells.

Also, great work Foam.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

FoamBats4All wrote:1. I will not implement Fly, you'll have to find someone else to. Good luck.
Pretty sure Curm has ruled at some point that we should not support Fly anyway.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

Swift wrote:
FoamBats4All wrote:1. I will not implement Fly, you'll have to find someone else to. Good luck.
Pretty sure Curm has ruled at some point that we should not support Fly anyway.
Fly, Levitate, Air Walk. Any spell that might introduce the difficulties inherent in trying to adjudicate 3D combat - these should not be a part of our game until we get a system that actually allows for true 3D movement.

Teleport needs to be revised to fit our situation as well.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

As requested, spells not yet implemented. Only went as high as spell level 3 for any class. Wizards/clerics not included.

Please post if you are working on/finish something so that someone else doesn't start on it too.

Bard : Level 1
Animate Rope, Detect Secret Doors, Erase, Hypnotism, Magic Mouth, Obscure Object, Silent Image, Ventriloquism

Bard : Level 2
Animal Trance, Calm Emotions, Enthrall, Glitterdust, Hypnotic Pattern, Minor Image, Misdirection, Pyrotechnics, Rage, Shatter, Suggestion, Whispering Wind

Bard : Level 3
Blink, Daylight, Gaseous Form, Good Hope, Illusory Script, Major Image, Phantom Steed, Sculpt Sound, Secret Page, Sepia Snake Sigil, Tiny Hut

Druid : Level 0
Guidance

Druid : Level 1
Faerie Fire, Goodberry, Magic Stone, Obscuring Mist, Produce Flame, Shillelagh

Druid : Level 2
Animal Trance, Chill Metal, Fire Trap, Flame Blade, Flaming Sphere, Fog Cloud, Heat Metal, Soften Earth and Stone, Warp Wood, Wood Shape

Druid : Level 3
Daylight, Diminish Plants, Meld into Stone, Plant Growth, Quench, Sleet Storm

Paladin : Level 1
Bless Water

Paladin : Level 3
Daylight, Discern Lies, Heal Mount

Ranger : Level 2
Snare

Ranger : Level 3
Command Plants, Diminish Plants, Plant Growth, Repel Vermin, Water Walk
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Gaseous cloud (awesome as it is) probably falls into the same category as fly/levitate/air walk etc.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

All RP spells fall into the same catagory as fly.
they only work if DM is willing to acomidate. And only work if DM says allright.
So im not sure I understand why we insist on keeping those out.
Just put them in.
After all every RP spell states clearly that it will only work if DM is willing to support it.
And if DM is willing you could still cast Fly/Teleport or anything else. You just wont be able to put it in a slot.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

kid wrote:All RP spells fall into the same catagory as fly.
they only work if DM is willing to acomidate. And only work if DM says allright.
+1

(for what it's worth)
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

As Kid says, which is why I'm not against most spells. You need DM support, just like you always have -- now you can't just say "oh yeah DM X, well DM Y gave me Spell A, and this Spell B is actually Spell A!" Makes people have to actually get, learn, and memorize the spell if they want to try using it.

My beef with fly is that it's stupid. None of these spells are scripted, so I'm not overly concerned about movement, I just take a personal stance against implementing it.

- - - - -

Anyway, if people have actual work to contribute, that'd be great. Seemed some interest in creating spells in IRC. Would like the forum discussion to find its own thread, too.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

The following spells can be crossed off the list above, as they've been added: Animate Rope, Bless Water, Detect Secret Doors, Erase, Goodberry, Guidance, Hypnotism, Magic Mouth, Magic Stone, Obscure Object, Obscuring Mist, Produce Flame, Shillelagh, Silent Image, and Ventriloquism.

That should cross off all 0th and 1st level spells for all classes but Cleric, Wizard, and Warlock. Fuck those guys anyway.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Can cross off warlock; the class is depreciated, and will receive only critical fixes.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Code: Select all

0    Mages_Private_Sanctum                           0        isc_abjuration.tga           A      S     vs   0x32      0x0c                                       **** ****   ****  ****    ****   5        ****    0      1500     party     sp_abjuration_conjure.sef        sp_magic_conjure.sef      ****            ****            as_n2_cresendo2a vs_chant_conj_hm     vs_chant_conj_hf     entropichusk      area      1000     sp_abjuration_conjure.sef      sp_abjuration_conjure.sef      ****        ****        ****          0    ****           ****                        ****                        ****              ****          ****           ****            ****                              ****                              ****           0            ****         ****         ****         ****         ****         0        ****   1        0         1                1                 ****              ****       ****           ****      ****     ****     0             ****        8           0              0
I'll try my hand at a few more. Any requests for classic favorite RP spells we currently do not have in?

For my own reference:

http://www.alandfaraway.info/wiki/Creating_RP_Spells
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Looks like Contact Other Plane is already in??
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Ithildur wrote:Looks like Contact Other Plane is already in??
Looks like, yes.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Mage's Private Sanctum will be in the next ACR update.