Gebb's Custom Short Sword project

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Gebb
Dire Badger

Gebb's Custom Short Sword project

Post by Gebb »

So I'm learning how to modify weapon models. I'd like to use this thread to list what I'm doing, where I'm stuck, and solicit advice for corrections.

Project 1: Porting current models from other weapons into Ssword models.
1. Copied all the Models zip files from NWN data folder
2. Unzipped all and copied files I wanted to port into Ssword files to a temp folder
3. Renamed desired files:
Katana 01_b to w_Ssword81_b
Katana 01_c to w_Ssword81_c
Rapier 01_c to w_Ssword84_c
Rapier 02_c to w_Ssword85_c
...and a few others so forth and so on...
4. Copied the new files above into the models folder
5. Zipped the models folder and replaced the old one with the new one in the NWN data folder
6. Opened the toolset, loaded ALFA Basemod, and opened a new shortsword model
7. When I go to choose parts, I see the new part numbers (84, 85, etc) but when I select them for the weapon the preview window shows them as a big black box with a question mark instead of the desired model.

Any ideas where I went wrong?
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Re: Gebb's Custom Short Sword project

Post by FoamBats4All »

Unsure, but try using this tool to clone the model: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NW ... tail&id=37

May give you more success, as there's probably some data in the file itself that also needs to be edited.

Look forward to seeing what you come up with. :)
Gebb
Dire Badger

Post by Gebb »

Wow, that worked great! Thanks!

I'd like to go through the process to expand the available guard (_b) and handle (_c) models available to swords, short swords, rapiers, and scimitars in ALFA. I won't port over any mismatched parts to avoid wacky looking combos, and I don't mind doing the labor, but only want to do it if the decision makers are interested in adding the new options into ALFA.

Any interest?

I don't think I can post pics to the forum, but if interested I can email a jpg showing examples of what I came up with so far.

Thanks again for the push in the right direction with the cloning application.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

I'm sure we'd love to see the additional content, particularly if stuff was made for servers. Some people have made shields or other gear with local symbols, for example.

You can post pictures, you just need to upload it to a site like TinyPic, you can then get the direct URL and do:

Code: Select all

[img]image URL goes here[/img]
Or you can just give it as a link.

Looking forward to seeing it!
Gebb
Dire Badger

Post by Gebb »

I've always been inspired by the way Tolkien (and Ed Greenwood) developed individual histories and even personalities for inanimate items that were separate from the main plot, yet really caught the reader's curiosity and imagination.

In weak imitation of that technique I built two new short swords by porting over hilt models (_c) from other swords into the Short sword options. The first paragraph is intended for the unidentified description, then both paragraphs appear when the item is identified. The weapons are meant to have a shared history pointing to intended use by elvish rogues or assassins, perhaps with a hint of sinister history.

* Edit-1. Another one (without the sinister undertone) suitable for inclusion as dropped loot on some Ogre Chief in the Silver Marches. I used the normal short sword blade plus a guard (_b) and handle (_c) ported over from other swords.

* Edit-2. Yet another one, imagined as dropable loot wielded by a Goblin leader, with a teaser hinting toward a Paladin Order from one of my old ALFA PCs. I imagine both this and the above sword would be inspiring treasures if found by low level PCs on their first dungeon crawl.

I still need some help finding where the model/mdb file for Longsword-101 and Scimitars 12, 13, and 107 are hidden? I've checked through all of the model zip files in the data folder and didn't find them?
Last edited by Gebb on Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:42 am, edited 4 times in total.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Nice stuff.

Hopefully we'll soon see such longswords for the knife ears, an axe or hammer for stumpies too! Do we have gnomish hook hammers in ALFA? :)
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Gebb
Dire Badger

Post by Gebb »

Some new additions edited into the post above.

Can anyone point me to the longsword 101, Scimitar 12, 13, and 107 models /mdb files?