DRAGONS!

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

DRAGONS!

Post by Riotnrrd »

Was toolsetting around the other day, looking specifically at dragons.

Old NWN1 had various sized dragon models, from wyrmling / small through medium, large, huge, gigantic, etc. NWN2 seems to be more restricted, theres large / huge models for some colors, not for others.

I'm particularly interested in small to huge dragon models for the chromatics. Models are important because they have correct size modifiers for AC, to hit, etc.

What are the chances someone has chromatic dragon models for ALFA, and that we can get them in, if so?

Of course this also brings up things like breath weapons for scaled dragons... I know some exist, others might need to be created...

Just thinking, you know. Dungeons and Dragons. I'd like to get at least the smallest ones in.
puny
Dungeon Master

Re: DRAGONS!

Post by puny »

id love some variations in the dragon models!
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

Did you find a creature folder called Alfa_dragons? TSM and MS have it (or should have it) and all those dragons function and have the requisite breath weapons and skins installed.

They also represent the span of models we have. Personally I made adjusted juvenile copper and bronze dragons for MS and there even is a lair in our MS volcano areas.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

It's the models that are lacking, which AFAIK would need to be added to ALFA HAKs. The current selection of MODELS is quite limited.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Models can be resized and re-tinted (though not very well). For the engine to recognize different creature sizes you need different entries in appearances.2da.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Ronan wrote:Models can be resized and re-tinted (though not very well). For the engine to recognize different creature sizes you need different entries in appearances.2da.
Yes. Wyverns are a "recent" example of this, a hak version or two ago. Their size category had to be adjusted at a hak level, so that things like AC and whatnot would be impacted.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Ronan wrote:Models can be resized and re-tinted (though not very well). For the engine to recognize different creature sizes you need different entries in appearances.2da.
This is what we need :) Any current plans to add dragon models? I can do the 2da work, resizing... assume need some 3D tools like 3DMax?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

NWN2 already provides us a perfectly-workable solution for scaling. We just need lines for the individual Dragon, Gold [small]/ Dragon, Silver [large]/ Dragon, Red [huge]/ Dragon, Chocolate [delicious] etc. things, with the appropriate adjustments to the 2da, reusing the existing models and adjusting their scale when tooling the standard templates.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Thanks folks... this is exactly what I was looking for. And I find other hidden easter eggs... WORG RIDERS!

Stay tuned :)
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Cant you scale a creature while you are creating it in the toolset?

I mean I know I have before...
As for stats you just open the monster manual and adjust the right ones.

The only thing that is kinda hard....
Is adjusting colors.

Someone explained to me once how its done... but I faeled. might try again...
Was going for a white dragon. you cant get that by adjusting the tint.
(very limited)
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

I believe you can change sizes in the toolset, "to a degree", that degree being something shy of having effect on the size category. Remember that small things have better AC than medium things just as an example. Or Knockdown (and Improved Knockdown) "cares" if there's size advantages or disadvantages.

Some of what you can do in the toolset is optical only, unless actually changing to a different appearance type, those types being controlled by a hak level 2da.

It'd be like resizing a human to halfling and then being surprised the AC or how weapon size doesn't quite fit... you have to actually pick an alternate appearance. Maybe some future vision is a bunch of S versions, M versions, of L or H dragons.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

RIght. completely forgot about that part.

So you could make something a catagory smaller and add the AC/Ab
though probably not the KD things... Hmm... *Nod* kk.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

I believe you can change sizes in the toolset, "to a degree", that degree being something shy of having effect on the size category.
This, especially if the monster isn't using (manufactured) weapons. Sure, replacing size AC with (say) natural armor AC, and using other means to up AB for smaller things, isn't perfect. But it's good enough that lacking AI and flight is far more important than that for our dragons ;)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Yes, I already said these things.
Zelknolf wrote:NWN2 already provides us a perfectly-workable solution for scaling. We just need lines for the individual Dragon, Gold [small]/ Dragon, Silver [large]/ Dragon, Red [huge]/ Dragon, Chocolate [delicious] etc. things, with the appropriate adjustments to the 2da, reusing the existing models and adjusting their scale when tooling the standard templates.
Those lines on the 2da would control the mechanics of size, and we coordinate the scales on the templates with the 2da lines we've used.