Missing KEMO Animations

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Swift
Mook

Missing KEMO Animations

Post by Swift »

Well, due to a discussion in chat and the suggested ease at which the missing animations could be added in (if approved), I decided to spend some time and go get a picture of the missing ones for people to evaluate. The 'lite' pack that we use currently omits a huge amount of animations from the full pack. Some for good reason, others for...reasons I could not explain. As you will see, there are certainly some that were removed that would struggle to be classed as 'adult' content (which for us means sex content, since we are an adult RPing world).

Due to their size (They are too big to all go in this thread and I couldnt be bothered scaling them down and re-uploading them) I have put them into a bunch of imgur albums. Each Album corrosponds to a KEMO category, while each picture is titled as the animation appears in the list.

http://siaer.imgur.com/

A few notes:
  • There are 4 'sit in lap' emotes in the Misc section. These open up a height box that allows you to adjust your PC on the Z axis. This can be used for (obviously) sitting in another PCs lap, but can also be used to make your character appear to be sitting on anything eg rocks, fences etc presuming the have walkmesh close enough. They do not work to sit in another PCs lap unless ALFA implements a button to disable collision, which I do not see us doing
  • Some of the animations in the Suspend category would be great for us, but only if they were attached to placeables and not exposed directly to the player. On haven (which KEMO helped created) they are used mostly for torture devices.
  • These screenshots were taken on the Haven server. I seem to recall that they are one very minor version ahead of what KEMO has released to the vault, so these may not 100% match up to what is listed in the KEMO Anims hak listed here
  • For quite obvious reasons, I did not bother to take screenshots of the anims from the Masturbation category.
I understand that we do not want to endorse ERP in ALFA (even though it already happens) but there are alot of animations here that would have multiple uses. It is only my opinion, but I do not see why many of them should be excluded purely because they could also be used for ERP.
I-KP
Otyugh

Re: Missing KEMO Animations

Post by I-KP »

As a prolific PCtools and KEMO anims user I support the option to have as much content available as possible. BDSM RP aside - hey, whatever flicks your whip - inventive use of anims add to the game for all present, and help to produce screenies that aren't all featuring people stood bolt upright with a pole rammed up their arse. Interested in the vertical height adjustment Sit function; small folk do have a penchant (cf. compensation) to perch on high so this sounds ideal.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

I would say that it would be the least work and the easiest implementation to just grab the whole pack -- fapping and rubbing and whatever included -- and drop it into our haks. If we want to start disabling parts or having them only function under certain conditions, it gets to be a larger and larger project that needs a steadily-larger wait until someone can take it up (until it reaches a critical mass of coolness and bigness that someone takes it up immediately and just needs forever to actually do it).

I don't want to be the one to make that call, though; there's a segment of ALFA that already thinks that ERP is fundamentally bad and that anything which makes it easier is a step in the wrong direction and a segment that thinks we don't have needful tools for RP and that there's something wrong with as little as we're able to represent on the visual side.

I guess I'd argue that adorable, but ultimately-superficial, stuff getting in game is a lure to more-authorial players-- and I like those players.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

I been seeing two abbreviations I am unfamiliar with recently. Could someone translate ERP and Sims for me, please?
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

ERP = "Erotic Roleplaying"
Sims = The Sims
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

Swift wrote:For quite obvious reasons, I did not bother to take screenshots of the anims from the Masturbation category.
From what I could see (from reading the description and looking at the screenshots), that category had been removed from the NWVault version.
< Signature Free Zone >
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by CloudDancing »

I was told by an ex-Haven DM that that they considered them proprietary. But personally excluding their HDM (who does very little now but keep the box on for the server and who hasn't changed or updated content in years) their DMs are pretty freaking useless excuses for dms.

The players dm themselves and dms just screw around making couches appear in fields and have 0 understanding of how to construct a DM adventure, how the interface works, or how to detatch themselves from Dming (and there is no dispute process and six rules all of which really don't matter unless you make a dm mad or a dms friend mad.) :mad: Stay out of the radar and your fine.

NOW that is not to say that KEMO considers them anything anymore because I see that Rigillia has their full animations in full operations (with auto-on/off collision removal and freezing options) but integrated into the PC Tools.

Rigillia also has their own custom models for armor they made personally and welcomes custom content SO if we offered them a trade they might pass over that.

If I asked a Rigillia DM (I know two personally now and built a mansion to help a third for a friend) we probably could get those easy.

*this brings up the Kemo Auction House, Bank, and Inventory Bank as well.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

Rotku wrote:
Swift wrote:For quite obvious reasons, I did not bother to take screenshots of the anims from the Masturbation category.
From what I could see (from reading the description and looking at the screenshots), that category had been removed from the NWVault version.
They are very much still there, they are simply listed under 'Other' as '* 5 additional female-only animations '.

What I think Cloud is getting at is the fact that Haven runs using version 3 of the animation pack, which has not been publicly released on the vault. The HAK file is about 6.7 megs larger than the version 2 HAK. All that has changed from version 2 is that there are a bunch more anims that work for male models.

That said, I personally don't see what the big issue would be with using version 3 now that KEMO has left the NWN2 community entirely, but thats not a decision for me to make.
If we want to start disabling parts
It would be a case of XML editing at the least and at the most, pulling the actual animation file out of the hak itself.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Swift wrote:
If we want to start disabling parts
It would be a case of XML editing at the least and at the most, pulling the actual animation file out of the hak itself.
Well, not actually XML-- but yes very close to it. I'm pretty confident in my ability to yank parts out without breaking things, but I always always want to temper GUI-related things. No parsers on the internets will help you debug NWN2 GUI code (as it's not actually XML), and any error results in the GUI being disabled entirely without useful feedback. Sometimes it's a five-minute thing; sometimes it's a days thing. I like to allot time for the worst-case scenario.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

I had a bit of a play around with doing it back when the KEMO anims were first under consideration and managed to alter the list without noticeable breakage. I'd be willing to have a go at it again if needed.

We would just need to decide what stays and what goes.
Last edited by Swift on Mon Nov 07, 2011 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rotku
Iron Fist Tyrant

Post by Rotku »

I was against making us R18 before, but now we are do we really need to remove any of it? Can't we just take the simple approach and put it in as is?
< Signature Free Zone >
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

*shrugs* people do what ever they want anyway.
I say just put it in.
I trust our players to not abuse anything.
by the way...
do we make sure new members know we are 18+?
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Post by t-ice »

I'd say the issue with "special female-only" animations is with confusion of purpose, especially among new players. Chekov's gun sort of. When new people come in, they can be expected to fiddle around with the PCtools to see what's there, it's the most immediately apparent part of our custom contect, after all. And if they find we're offering animations of masturbation and pelvic thrusts, the natural assumption is that these should be and will be used. Any "helpful message" to the contrary will only add to the clutter that already makes it near impossible for a new member to extract anything useful out of these forums.

Personally I don't see the added content worth the confusing message of the purpose of our worlds they send. Generally I'm all for empowering players and DMs, trusting them to use the possibilities for the greater good, but this would be a big exception. Guess I've seen one time too many when bored/stuck/confused players derail themselves into "well, I dunno, guess I'll just RP f***ing around, at least it's something to do". It's an easier dead-end to slip into when the gameplay pretty much demands you take an active part to create fun and games for yourself and others as opposed to simply "consume entertainment". Which generally is the biggest hurdle to our kind of game.

But then again, I'm no visualist like I-KP. Though I do have to appreciate the irony in desiring these animations so that bars don't get stuck up people's arses. (Yes, I do realize you were baiting for this, so here you go. You can thank me later.)
I-KP
Otyugh

Post by I-KP »

t-ice wrote:But then again, I'm no visualist like I-KP. Though I do have to appreciate the irony in desiring these animations so that bars don't get stuck up people's arses. (Yes, I do realize you were baiting for this, so here you go. You can thank me later.)
I'm often asked 'how did Tam emote that?' by players so don't assume that even old players know about all of the animations currently available.

Well used animations add a great deal to the game play and do go a long way to alleviating the oh-so-wooden tableau’s that NWN2 is so fond of. Many animations can be applied inventively, and if someone is determined to play out their lascivious inclinations they’re going to do it regardless, with even the most benign of animations. Denying the ‘legitimate’ majority of the tools to add a bit of richness to their RP just because you do not want to stumble across anything unsavoury is a little bit selfish. Tackle the behaviour directly, not the tools that they might use to practice it.

However, there is a line and that line would be overtly sexual animations that would have no other purpose other than to be used as designed; they should be excluded if possible. I would only support not including the wider set of animations if clearly offensive and graphic animations would remain available because there was no feasible technical way to block them.
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

If I get any time this month, Ill play around with the v3 hak and see what if I can modify the GUI to remove the Masturbation and Suspends categories without breaking anything (the former for obvious reasons, the latter because most suspends lift the PC off the ground, which shouldnt be something a player can trigger themselves).

I am happy to tinker with this while Tech works on more important things :D