Custom Content requests that aren't HAKs.

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Custom Content requests that aren't HAKs.

Post by Zelknolf »

It got almost no use in NWN1, so it's one of those things that looks like it'd be a big waste of time in NWN2, especially with the systems to handle healing for offline time.
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

hollyfant wrote:
The SRD wrote:Long-Term Care
Providing long-term care means treating a wounded person for a day or more. If your Heal check is successful...
Would it be possible to implement (something like) this; perhaps by using the First Aid widget on a resting PC?
We have hooks for this in the ACR resting system, but it was never completed- if I recall correctly we debated some how best to simulate long term care (something better that a 2-second tap with the magic acorn then off to the next server)- all things considered though, that's better than having no implementation at all for it.

This is something that would be more useful if the time compression ends up changed significantly in a downwards direction; as is if you're offline for 12 hours RL time, you're getting 4 days rest automatically on login, for 4x your level in HP healing; longer if the server timestamp skips ahead due to crashes, multiple resets, DM clock tampering, or other general bugginess of our persistent time implementation. The closer to 1:1 we get, the more folks without free healing spells will start to carry around damage from previous session(s).
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Do we have any plans to change the time compression? I'd defend something closer to 1:1 (I've always advocated 55 RL minutes = 1 game hour; it staggers both daily and weekly players by 2 IG hours a session, so everyone gets RP in day time and night time)-- As AL says, the shift would make it less of a good idea to fling out spells and more of a big deal to log out wounded, and I'd be all about getting some good mundane care put into play.
Magile
Otyugh

Post by Magile »

Zelknolf wrote:Do we have any plans to change the time compression? I'd defend something closer to 1:1 (I've always advocated 55 RL minutes = 1 game hour; it staggers both daily and weekly players by 2 IG hours a session, so everyone gets RP in day time and night time)-- As AL says, the shift would make it less of a good idea to fling out spells and more of a big deal to log out wounded, and I'd be all about getting some good mundane care put into play.
I'm unsure on your wording regarding staggering, but from what I recall, the main issue from having it close to 1:1 ratio is the fact that some players will always be in permanent darkness/light, depending on when they log in. This also can hurt some RP aspects, due to prayers in morning, working at night, what have you.

It's currently 7 minutes real time for one in-game hour, which means roughly 3 hours (rounded up) for one day to go by. If we didn't round, it would mean one real life day (24 hours) would mean 8 1/2 days have passed by in-game. That's a lot of time passed in one day.

I was having a bit of insomnia this evening and was thinking of a decent amount of time that may work. Ideally, the time ratio would have to be incorporated to prevent the perpetually light/darkness timezone players will face, as well as taking into account typing and roleplaying speeds (i.e. one small conversation in ALFA now could take 4 hours in-game just due to someone responding slowly). I thought 20 minutes being one in-game hour was reasonable, but then again, I still think some people will be stuck in those perpetual moments of darkness.

And, of course, RPXP scripts get buggered by this and will need to be tweaked. I don't know. I guess I'm saying I'm in favour for a change, but a lot of thought has to go into it (and a 1:1 ratio seems like a bad idea).
Part of ALFA since May 2000.
NWN 2 PC (BG): Layali Mae (Arcane Trickster)
NWN 2 PC (MS): Marius Lobhdain (Druid)
Curmudgeon in IRC wrote:(2:29:40 PM) Curmudgeon: The community wants 24/7 DM coverage, free xp, and a suit of mithral plate mail in every pchest.
I-KP
Otyugh

Post by I-KP »

For such an RP-heavy game a seven minute hour passes so fast that even a moderately juicy stalking vignette has the sun rise before you've even managed to pull on your flecktarn undies.

Something in or around a 20-30 minute hour sounds reasonable. Did Haze have a 27 minute hour? Memory fails me. Regardless, it was significantly longer than seven minutes and it worked rather well. (EDIT: Plus it gives me more time to capture some of the rather beautiful sun-sets/rises that can be found in some parts of MS & BG, but I'll understand if that's not a primary motivator for everyone else. ;) )

Presumably spell/effect durations that specifically mention 'hours' will improve in usefulness if the time compression is reduced.
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

what about 15 or 20 mins per hour? a fairly good compromise, means you get 3 or 4 In game days ber RL day respectively, which also means most folk will get a mix of day and night playing.

It still makes the usefulness of /hour spells somewhat better and also gives players a reason to not just fling spells 'willy nilly' and as said by Zelk, would also make non magical healing more important.
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

If we can get the scripts and such working, a 20 minute game hour seems very appropriate.

1:1 would be awful.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

Bah, didn't mean to re-open this can of worms. We discussed this nearly to death a year and half or so ago, settled on a reasonable alternative compression, did a two-week testing phase on the Live servers, and did a non-binding vote on preferences on the basis of that; which resulted in about half of the respondants in favor of the change, and about a third strongly opposed to it.

I'd have to look up what value we actually used for the test, but the consensus among Admin at the time was that with a limited playerbase, we oughtn't go around making rules changes that alienate a third of our players if we can help it. The testing apparently didn't change any of the "con" minds.

My comments were meant along the lines of "this is why it's not a priority presently" regarding long term care scripting. Custom content forum certainly isn't the place to debate time compression changes.
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

Would it be possible to stop the AI from zeroing in on whoever has the lowest AC?
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

hollyfant wrote:Would it be possible to stop the AI from zeroing in on whoever has the lowest AC?
CNR