Invocation: Flee The Scene

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Munmun
Dire Badger

Invocation: Flee The Scene

Post by Munmun »

Currently this invocation gives a very short duration haste to everyone in the party. I'm sure no one will disagree that this is a bad invocation that is both easily abused and against the normal warlock playstyle.

It was actually supposed to be changed to function as exp retreat but it fell through the cracks during an admin change. However, I feel that this change would not be suitable since an exp retreat invocation actually exists in D&D as a least invocation while flee the scene is a lesser invocation.

I hunted around and found a script that implements it pretty closely to how it is in D&D. I think this (or a tweaked version of it) is a better solution than leaving it as-is or nerfing it into the ground. I have taken it out of this package of warlock changes.

Text From Complete Arcane (p. 134)
Flee The Scene
Lesser; 4th
You can dimension door as a spell-like ability, although the range is limited to short (25ft + 5ft/2 levels). When you use this ability, you leave behind a major image of yourself in your place that lasts 1 round. The image racts appropiately to attacks as if you were concentrating on it.
Explanation Of The Script Mechanics
Flee the Scene: You turn ethereal for 1 round, gain the effects of Expeditious Retreat for 1 round per caster level, and instantly teleport to the visible location of your choice within 250'. Meanwhile, an exact likeness of yourself (a decoy) is left in the spot you were just in. The decoy will stand in place for 1 round, after which it will completely vanish. The decoy cannot be destroyed by attacks.
Script

Code: Select all

//:://///////////////////////////////////////////////
//:: Warlock Lesser Invocation: Flee the Scene
//:: nw_s0_ifleescen.nss
//::////////////////////////////////////////////////
//:: Created By: Dubby
//:: Created On: 02/12/08
//::////////////////////////////////////////////////

#include "nwn2_inc_spells"
#include "NW_I0_SPELLS"
#include "x2_inc_spellhook"

void main()
{

if (!X2PreSpellCastCode())
    {
	    // If code within the PreSpellCastHook (i.e. UMD) reports FALSE, do not run this spell
        return;
    }

// 1
	object oCaster = OBJECT_SELF;
	int nCasterLevel = GetCasterLevel(oCaster);
    location lTargetLoc = GetSpellTargetLocation();
    location lCasterLoc = GetLocation(oCaster);
	float fDuration = RoundsToSeconds(nCasterLevel);

// 2
	effect eEthereal = EffectLinkEffects(EffectEthereal(), EffectVisualEffect( VFX_DUR_SPELL_ETHEREALNESS ));
	effect eSpeedUp = EffectLinkEffects(EffectMovementSpeedIncrease(50), EffectVisualEffect( VFX_DUR_SPELL_EXPEDITIOUS_RETREAT ));
	effect eImmobile = EffectCutsceneParalyze();
		eImmobile = ExtraordinaryEffect(eImmobile);

// 5
	RemoveEffectsFromSpell(oCaster, 1643);

SignalEvent(oCaster, EventSpellCastAt(OBJECT_SELF, 1643, FALSE));

ApplyEffectAtLocation (DURATION_TYPE_INSTANT, EffectVisualEffect(VFX_HIT_AOE_SONIC), lCasterLoc);
	ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_TEMPORARY, eEthereal, oCaster, 6.0f);
	ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_TEMPORARY, eSpeedUp, oCaster, fDuration);

AssignCommand(oCaster, ActionJumpToLocation(lTargetLoc));

if ( GetIsInCombat(oCaster) )
	{
		string sTag = "Decoy_"+ObjectToString(oCaster);
		CopyObject(oCaster, lCasterLoc, OBJECT_INVALID, sTag);
		object oDecoy = GetObjectByTag(sTag);

ChangeToStandardFaction(oDecoy, STANDARD_FACTION_DEFENDER);
		AssignCommand(oDecoy, ActionWait(6.1f));
		ApplyEffectToObject(DURATION_TYPE_PERMANENT, eImmobile, oDecoy);

SetImmortal(oDecoy, TRUE);		
		AssignCommand(oDecoy, SetIsDestroyable(TRUE, FALSE, FALSE));
		DelayCommand(6.0f, DestroyObject(oDecoy));
	}

ClearAllActions(TRUE);
}
Munmun
Dire Badger

Re: Invocation: Flee The Scene

Post by Munmun »

My only suggestion aside from the change itself is that the speed boost is taken out of the spell effect. I believe it was put in there by the creator because there is no way to make a monster attack the decoy for a round instead of picking a new target (or immediately zeroing in on the warlock in a round) and he was thinking primarily about singleplayer warlock characters.

It's not part of the D&D version and is a bit out of the scope of what it's supposed to do. Specifically FtS is meant for a party combat situation and as an escape route if the warlock is targeted by something that will pound them into the ground. It is not meant to be a buff spell that gives the ability to move quickly away from enemies for several rounds without recasting it.

Imagine on alfa, an encounter with ogres has one or more of them target the warlock first due to some bad luck, so the warlock uses FtS to poof over to behind his beefy melee fighter friend and get them off his case.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Neat. Have you happened to test this, see how it works? I wasn't 100% clear from NWNvault whether the rar or other file there had like, a little test module with it.

The writeup there at least reminded me that there's a whole lotta invocations from PnP unrepresented IG that this guy took a crack at. Also some things that didn't quite re-align to PnP, but got adjusted in his own hybrid ways, like Leaps and Bounds going from +4 Dex to " +(CHA Modifier) to Dex and Tumble", which for an 18 CHA Warlock would be a treat, but even less charismatic ones might enjoy the unearned Tumble ranks helping scoot around AoOs that blasting in melee might attract... again though, neither is quite spot on the jump/balance +6 buff which would presumably be useless in a mostly 2D videogame.

Maybe there's some cherry picking to be done. Warlocks have a very limited number of tricks, I wonder how many ALFA has had, and how their builds might have compared when there's so few combinations of worthwhile invocations available?
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Munmun
Dire Badger

Post by Munmun »

I tested it a bit in a test mod and it worked exactly how it is described. The only issue was sometimes the monsters simply don't care about the decoy but that's more of a NWN thing, not a script thing. And ultimately the decoy only lasts a round so it's not a huge deal.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

It's possible the AI perceptions (on perception events?) only refresh once per heartbeat, and are sometimes missing out on the decoy. I.e., decoy appears, but they still only SEE their original target, and by the time their perception updates, the decoy's gone. Sometimes you may have a quicker initiative than them and make the situation better or worse. It's just a possibility though. Possibly testable by lengthening the 6.0 float in the following string to like, 9 or 12 or something:

DelayCommand(6.0f, DestroyObject(oDecoy));

Making it too long though might mean if you invoked multiple times, you may have several simultaneous decoys littering the field, each decaying differently. Like a 2 round duration means you could have 2 around at a time (one fresh, one half-decayed), a 3 round duration could see 3 around at a time (one fresh, one 2/3 decayed, one 1/3 decayed), which would be bad news. Also too long is a PITA for CvC. AI has 360 vision and will find you anywhere, tunnel vision player will bang away at the decoy as long as possible, not noticing the warlock drinking healing potions on a missile-range only cliff, preparing to whip down invocations.

Anyhow, wonder if changing that # would lead to more reliable AI results. Not that there aren't drawbacks like the above (or more!) but would it at least fool AI into considering the decoy meaningful to them?
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

If we're able to implement this for the Warlock's ...could we consider making a version of the hak available as the following spell? The mechanics appear very similar...

Mislead
Illusion (Figment, Glamer)
Level: Brd 5, Luck 6, Sor/Wiz 6, Trickery 6
Components: S
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25 ft. + 5 ft./2 levels)
Target/Effect: You/one illusory double
Duration: 1 round/level (D) and concentration + 3 rounds; see text
Saving Throw: None or Will disbelief (if interacted with); see text
Spell Resistance: No
You become invisible (as improved invisibility, a glamer), and at the same time, an illusory double of you (as major image, a figment) appears. You are then free to go elsewhere while your double moves away. The double appears within range but thereafter moves as you direct it (which requires concentration beginning on the first round after the casting). You can make the figment appear superimposed perfectly over your own body so that observers don’t notice an image appearing and you turning invisible. You and the figment can then move in different directions. The double moves at your speed and can talk and gesture as if it were real, but it cannot attack or cast spells, though it can pretend to do so.
The illusory double lasts as long as you concentrate upon it, plus 3 additional rounds. After you cease concentration, the illusory double continues to carry out the same activity until the duration expires. The improved invisibility lasts for 1 round per level, regardless of concentration.
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

that'd be rather nice :)

if my two cents are of any interest however, as a level 5 bard or level 6 wizard spell... do we have any chars even close to being able to cast it?

highest level wizard i know of is level 8 so 3 levels from being able to cast it.
Regas
ALFA Representative

Post by Regas »

This is true, probably not worth it if there's too much work to have it implemented; I just figured if it was going in anyway. And hey. a mage can dream can't he :P
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

Dont get me wrong, if its essentially a case of the scripter making a couple more 2da entries so it works as a spell and can have scrolls for it purchased, I too would love having access to an extra potential spell :D