Slum Houses

New models, textures, & integration of 3rd party content.

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Racerblue
Dire Badger

Slum Houses

Post by Racerblue »

The first of a series for ALFA. I promised cipher a screen shot days ago...sorry for the delay. This one is really simple and coarse...but it is a slum house afterall.

I'm thinking these look much better...Dorn? Buehler? Anyone? :)
Last edited by Racerblue on Wed Apr 09, 2008 7:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Nice work racer.
I wonder if the basics exist to make wooden ones? i'd think most slums would be cheap wooden constructs as well as the muddy type.
Maybe if the stone was tinted a browny rather than grey. Ie softer and poorer than hard stones used in expensive buildings or castles etc.

Just some comments:) i have no idea how you guys do this so thanks for improving our game with your time
Racerblue
Dire Badger

Post by Racerblue »

If wood is prefered, it can easily be done. I'll make a few changes.
Racerblue
Dire Badger

Post by Racerblue »

Updated screen shots....constructive criticisms welcome.
Avaz
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Avaz »

These definitely look better in a wood finish than a stone one. And while I'd love to give some constructive criticism, I honestly don't know enough about the toolset's limitations to make a fair evaluation of it.

About the only things I can say is that if it were a slum house, I would imagine it would be a bit more dilapidated than this. Maybe have half a wall falling apart or something. I imagine it would have a lot of debris laying around the perimeter too. Those granite-ish borders make it look not slummy.

The other comment would be that it looks too.. blocky? Like it's just a cube with an extruded entryway. I have no idea how to improve upon it though.

That's about as constructive as I can get without having more information. Sorry. Hope it helped, at least.
"Cleavage is like the sun. You can look, but it's best not to stare into it for too long." -Anon

Current PC: Claina Maynarren, halfling
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

I'll just add a few.. I'm not sure what the limitations are so I'll just throw these out there.

Can you add a bit of a peak to the roof and maybe a chimney?
As the others have mentioned, the structure might look less substantial if you reduce the size of the stone/mud trim.

Come to think of it, if you added the peaked roof & chimney over this existing model with a slightly reduced stone/mud trim it would work quite nicely.
Racerblue
Dire Badger

Post by Racerblue »

Yep and yep...I'll rework the stone too..might use all wood for these, as the stone just isn't fitting well...hmmmm
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

This is really a great start, Racerblue!

A pitched roof would definitely give it a more medieval look, which would better fit into a setting like WD. But I like the flat roof structure too. We can use this in regions that have dry/arid/desert like areas. Or just to mix things up (even stack).

Could you also add some tattered fabric to the model, like torn window or door coverings for instance, and some patches or holes to the structure itself so it looks poorly constructed (ie. built from anything that happened to be lying around or scavenged)? Just an idea.

Thanks, Racerblue.
Racerblue
Dire Badger

Screen shots of my second model...

Post by Racerblue »

This one isn't as much Slumhouse as it is meant to be "common". It's not completely done, as it needs some tweaking on textures etc.

As always, constructive comments/suggestions appreciated.
bartleby
Brown Bear

Post by bartleby »

Those are extremly awsome the courtyard effect is amazing. Are they one solidly connected structure two or more? It might be best for variations sake to split them into two structures if theyre not but damn thats awsome. Custom content like this is a huge plus to makeing the game feel more alive and ... well custom. Very awsome man.
Racerblue
Dire Badger

Post by Racerblue »

This is a single model. I thought about splitting it up, but decided to keep it all one piece for simplicity's sake.

I could seperate it into pieces, and just add them to the .2da and allow the builder to place them seperately.

Thank you Bartleby.
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

They look great, very sturdy. :)
Grand Fromage
Goon Spy

Re: Screen shots of my second model...

Post by Grand Fromage »

Racerblue wrote:As always, constructive comments/suggestions appreciated.
Definitely work on the texture. It looks very flat now, if you have a nice high contrast between lighter and darker sections it should pop out better.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

I agree about the texture but this is really fabulous work. I can't say how thrilled I am that you're actually building new models for us to use.

Thanks so much.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

ç i p h é r wrote:I agree about the texture but this is really fabulous work. I can't say how thrilled I am that you're actually building new models for us to use.

Thanks so much.
Word.