Wizard Troubles

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: Wizard Troubles

Post by Ithildur »

We'll need to touch base with everyone but one date that was suggested was the last weekend of this month (29-31); I suspect nothing earlier than that is doable for at least a couple of key folks.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

At the moment there's a good chance i'll be sitting this one out.
We'll see.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

The aforementioned dates are upon us and I've not heard from folks that suggested the date, and the others involved aren't around much either, so,

if it's ok with Xan, I suggest we table this for now, unless someone else wants to plan/coordinate. Apologies but my motivation as far as ALFA is at a rather low point atm.

If Xan is open to such, the option to attempt to solo this is something I am somewhat seriously considering as well; it'd be more or less IC and might be a good way (or at least a way) to finally bring Aglaril's career to an end (not necessarily via death).

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

I'm open to whatever you want, so long as I can make the date and I have advanced warning.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Not sure yet myself...
How many sessions to you think we're looking at?

Things will start picking up in RL soon, I might start and then vanish.

Tests starting in less than month, then packing my place up, moving....
Might be easier for me to try August.

Am also obviously fine with Aglaril doing this on his own,
riding an illusionary dragon into the compound wearing a bomb belt.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

PM sent Xan.

I'd like to get this done soon; too long of a wait and it loses all sense of tension 'Yeah, whatever happened to that thing?' 'Who cares at this point?'; my RL also will likely get busier in the summer as well.

So it's time to put up or shut up, deliver or go home, be the hero (or fabulously wealthy) or be [redacted].

I'm going with waiting until the end of this week to hear back to see if people are still in; after that I'd like to schedule something with Xan and whoever responds. Would be nice to have a cleric and Deva along at the very least and it's much more fun with a group (usually), but I'm willing to move forward solo if people can't commit.

I also realize some midlvls have expressed interest; pm me if you are still interested but I'm a little reluctant to see people get their PCs ganked in something that's potentially way out of their CR range - please be aware that the DM has indicated he will not scale the CR to match the party composition; i.e. if there are lvl 20 casters there there will be lvl 20 casters regardless of whether the party is 3 midlvls or a dozen high levels.

Also want to remind folks if you are saved from death by the -6 floor there's a 33% chance you still die (roll 1d3, 1 means dead).

Having said all that... please post in this thread or pm me or Xan by the end of this week if you are still interested, and we'll work out details IC.
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri May 29, 2015 4:11 am, edited 2 times in total.

causk
Brown Bear

Post by causk »

Daertho is still in. Im still time flexible, but starting past midnight(gmt +1) is probably too late for me.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

As far as how many sessions... famous last words but I think if we do this right, we take care of planning/prep beforehand just with players, via forums/pm's/ingame. When the DMed session starts we'll need to do some additional prep work that can only be done on-sight with DM, then when it's 'GO' time, it needs to happen really quickly. I can see the on-sight prep stuff taking some time, but once it's Go Time it should more or less be bang, bang, bang, successfully get the slaves out, snatch some loot and and we're out of there; if things take too long it'll probably mean we're looking at failure.

If we run into Totally Unexpected Circumstances TM it may mean toss plan A out the window certainly, in which case Plan B (pending)... or Plan C: Stay Alive Long Enough as We Desperately Fight Through Baddies to Objective.

I do have a Plan Z, Omega, Endgame as well.

I can't imagine that'll take more than one, two DMed sessions tops, unless it's to play out the results of a failure that's not TPK, or the aftermath of success.

[edit] I'd expect this can vary depending on how much non combat/social elements are utilized, which in turn relies to some extent on who participates. This may end up with surprisingly little combat if things go smoothly (which may also mean this may not be as loot rich as initially advertised, but I say for the opportunistic there are always ways and means).
Last edited by Ithildur on Fri May 29, 2015 5:38 am, edited 6 times in total.

Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

kid wrote:Not sure yet myself...
How many sessions to you think we're looking at?
One. Maybe two if you go with a particularly slow plan.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

I'd like to set up a session just for players/PCs to talk (and walk) things through this weekend.

Causk, does Friday or Saturday work for you?

kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I can't think of a worth while plan... I'm gonna be really busy Fri-Sat... Need to hand in something Sun morning.
Do wanna hear what you guys plan, might try to find either of you on Sun.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

kid wrote: ... riding an illusionary dragon into the compound wearing a bomb belt.

... I can't think of a worth while plan...
Stranger things have been attempted:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread88600/pg1

Would've been interesting to see whether it really would've been effective if they didn't can it; regardless, I'm a fan of being willing to think outside the box and taking risks.

boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

kid wrote: Do wanna hear what you guys plan..
A draft of a plan has been drawn up and is being reviewed. However plans can change significantly depending on who is going to participate, especially when a high lvl character can't decide whether he's in or out.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

causk wrote:Daertho is still in. Im still time flexible, but starting past midnight(gmt +1) is probably too late for me.
I'd like to set up a session just for players/PCs to talk (and walk) things through this weekend.

Causk, does Friday or Saturday work for you?
So your availability is ... any time before midnight gmt +1 on which days?

Good grief, maybe we do need to use When Is Good to get 3 people to log in and RP for a couple of hours.

http://whenisgood.net/ainrgin