OT's getting back to DMing

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

orangetree
Dungeon Master

OT's getting back to DMing

Post by orangetree »

Hey all. So, if there is anyone interested in my games, I have been giving some serious thought to getting back in the sadle, and do some DMing on moonshaes. I've gained a lot of experience of late in how games are run, so I think I can offer a more pnp feel to it. That being said, I need to introduce some core rules to stop myself getting completely overwhelmed, and promising you all too much. So, these are my list of vague rules, that I might add or subtract from depending on my mood:

No characters over level 8.

In all honesty, I have no experience beyond this point on what would make a satisfying adventurer. Granted the classes all scale differently, so there might be some leeway here and there. But if you are over level 10, that starts to become very unlikely. I would be very interested in you if you are levels 1 to 6 of course. Once you get beyond that range though, that's where we say 'sayonara' and I wish you well. If you have a high level char and playing a lower level char... well, I can't deny my interest in you might be lesser, unless you are really interesting to me.

No Evil characters

You might be tempted towards evil and if you turn evil in something I run I will continue to to DM so long as I find you interesting. I will not support evil characters in the long term, it's just not my thing so good luck in that career. If you have a short term proposal I may consider it with providing a few simple NPC victims for you, but it will be short and simple.

No profanity

It... is really not something I enjoy. I will take 10xp off you if I feel you are being particularally crass. You may use emotes of course, or fantastical swearing in name of the gods. (said gods mightl hear you and may not be amused...)

Asking to be included

You may ask me or the party members. If I don't get to you it's probably because I'm struggling to hold the narrative together, I'm going to keep things to a maximum of 4 players at any one time for now, but it's more a guide then a hard rule. I think i'll be lucky if I find 4 players.

Ideas

If you have one, by all means I will hear you out. Good ideas will get you xp.

3e rules

3e rules will be followed. I might bend them now and then if things are slowing down too much, or revise something if I feel it is fairer. Never will this be used to make PCs at a disadvantage.

OOC Chatter

As a bit of an experiment, I would like to keep OOC chatter to a bare minimum. Wait until after the session, if you can hold out. There's no need to talk about the session while it's going on, even in tells. Concentrate on your characters actions, motives, ideals, and beliefs.

Playing your allignment

I will be watching this... a shift now and then for an action could happen.

Passive skills

Characters with a wisdom or inteligence bonus of +1 will get a natural passive roll by me, if they encounter something their characters might know or interperet. If you have less then that, you will have to RP what you are looking for/searching for or thinking of.

Cybering

Not on my time with you please. If I suspect you are spending most of your time doing this, I will likely just ignore you.

Moonshae setting

We have... dislike of magic, possible linching of mages, potentially some racism against the elves... so expect some shunning from the locals now and then if you play any of that. Divine casters especially of nature would do well here. There is sailing, treasure, pirates, and the open sea. Islands that are inhabited, and lesser known ones that could have tantalising delights or is the nesting place of a nasty (or good?) dragon. Caves that have the bones of past adventurers that were simply not capable... or maybe it's nothing at all.

Death and hope.

... in my heart of hearts, I don't want to kill any of your PCs. But, I also want to provide you with an adventure and that means the threat of death must exist. I make the following pledges:

You will not be railroaded. If you start to feel so, tell me we will step back from the situation calmly and look at all your options. As a final check, I will also give you a wisdom roll, for a hint on what 'could' be the safest path if that is what you seek...

I will pause battles and encounters, and do my very best to scale a fight. There might be fights that are not winnable, you'll have to decide that based on what you see. Running is almost always going to be an option... unless you really messed up.

If your character does die on my watch, roll a new character. I will likely give you a single reasonable item based on your backstory. May it be a symbol of what you seek to achieve, in this next life.

Schedule:

I'm thinking so far, Monday and Friday, GMT evenings for adhoc adventuring. Saturday's for a campaign if there is enough interest. There might be other evenings depending on my mood.

I hope this will stir some interest.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Re: OT's getting back to DMing

Post by boombrakh »

[Post deleted by author]
Last edited by boombrakh on Sat Jun 06, 2015 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

Indeed, looks good. If you need an extra hand toss me a message in IRC.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Thanks Foam and Boom.
Lucifer
Gelatinous Cube

Post by Lucifer »

Thank you OT..I enjoyed all the sessions you Dmed and involved me in. Glad you are feeling up to giving it another go. :D
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Evening fellow GMTers.

I'll be around today, for any RP ideas that might spring to mind. I have a few 'small jobs' lined up, that might kickstart your career into adventuring.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Well nobody turned up, but I'll be around this evening. Probably not quite as late though.
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Post by vergin_sacrifice »

orangetree wrote:Well nobody turned up, but I'll be around this evening. Probably not quite as late though.
Can you list the times? I didn't see when you showed up, or were expecting anyone. I'd like to jump in and help you get started.
I doubt, therefore; I might be
Calil - Elf maid depicted in profile picture.
Bellie - Small woman from Lowhill with big attitude - see below
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I will attempt a session around 6:30 pm GMT. Time can be shifted if there is a request.
vergin_sacrifice
Dire Badger

Post by vergin_sacrifice »

orangetree wrote:I will attempt a session around 6:30 pm GMT. Time can be shifted if there is a request.
I always have trouble with that. Like, what time is it now. 4am my time... I'm gmt -5, is that 9am your time? If so, unfortunately, I'm worrking at 6:30, is middle of my work day.
I doubt, therefore; I might be
Calil - Elf maid depicted in profile picture.
Bellie - Small woman from Lowhill with big attitude - see below
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

vergin_sacrifice wrote:
orangetree wrote:I will attempt a session around 6:30 pm GMT. Time can be shifted if there is a request.
I always have trouble with that. Like, what time is it now. 4am my time... I'm gmt -5, is that 9am your time? If so, unfortunately, I'm worrking at 6:30, is middle of my work day.
That is how it works yeah. Add 5 hours to your time for GMT, and add 6 hours for more easterly European countries. Sometimes it will be off an hour with variances in daylight savings, but you can usually get a good idea. I always try to verify on IRC, though Zelknolf's link is pretty handy. I think Xan used it to coordinate his dungeon stuff on MS.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Heh yeah to interact with the majority here usually involves a lot of planning and one sleepless night. Given I do a rather demaning full time job it's near impossible on weekdays. I'm trying to focus on the Prime GMT time slot if there are other players out there.

Note: I'm not feeling very well at the moment so today might be a little light and short. Sincere apologies.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

No game this GMT evening my cold just isn't getting any better and I'll need some time to recuperate
Hyme
Brown Bear

Post by Hyme »

Any chance my deep gnome can find a spot in this?