StephenUmf (Discover) Events

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Re: StephenUmf (Discover) Events

Post by Ithildur »

Tough night... for everyone I think. The DCs/lag made things nightmarish for me and was the most stressful thing I've experienced in a while; I apologize if it was disruptive to the flow.

Blowing the double save vs Phant Killer is just rough dice, but ... I thought we had enough time for 2 PCs to get in there, DD out, and apply healing to stabilize... unfortunately didn't realize it was a death spell until too late (I have HP numbers on portraits disabled currently, might've been too far away to get chance to ID with spellcraft). 2 or 3 rounds tops to move/tumble in to cast DD, then heal should've been quick enough if he hit the floor at -6 but... apparently he was at -8 already when we got to him (not sure why he was declared to have hit the floor at -7). The choice to DD out to safety vs heal him on the spot surrounded by foes cost us, and Aglaril and I'll take the responsibility for that.

Anyway, tough calls.
Last edited by Ithildur on Sat Feb 08, 2014 11:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Formerly: Aglaril Shaelara, Faerun's unlikeliest Bladesinger
Current main: Ky - something

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Very nice dm's to let a pc use the safety net after a death effect spell. Sadly for the PC he still expired after a series of unlucky rolls. Bad rolls happen to the best of us.

A big thanks and much respect to StephenUmf for providing the players with so much of his time and dm'ing. He deserves it.

And zelk for lending a hand.

Also - Please don't second guess the dms. Ive read the debrief and it was all fair and square. They know what they're doing.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

There will be session tonight for the lows to mids.

We will move Friday's session to Thursday night 10 PM to 1 AM (seriously no later).

The weather report is 6 to 12 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. Fun Fun!

Let me have men about me that are fat;
Sleek-headed men and such as sleep o' nights:
Yond Cassius has a lean and hungry look;
He thinks too much: such men are dangerous.
- Julies Caesar, Act II, William Shakespeare
StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Tonights event (wednesday) will start from the Port of Skaug at 10PM.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

StephenUmpf wrote:There will be session tonight for the lows to mids.

We will move Friday's session to Thursday night 10 PM to 1 AM (seriously no later).

The weather report is 6 to 12 inches of snow tonight into tomorrow. Fun Fun!
Should be able to make it.

It’s not the critic who counts...The credit belongs to the man who actually is in the arena, who strives violently, who errs and comes up short again and again...who if he wins, knows the triumph of high achievement, but who if he fails, fails while daring greatly.-T. Roosevelt
StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Tonight's event (Friday) will start in the Port of Skaug... the rough timing is this...

The party has returned from last week's adventure, 2 days have passed, they are trying to figure out what to do next...

StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Tonight's Event (Wednesday) will start in the Port of Skaug. It should run from about 10 PM to Midnight (US EST). I can't promise any sooner.

I am trying to figure out how to deal with the time issues associated with the Friday night larger group. There is a good chance that tonight will be a non-associated single night dungeon crawl for low/mid levels. Not sure.

Hope to see you there...

The weather report - The weather here is freezing rain! This is landing nicely on our snow base of 18 inches (45 CM). Lovely!

Analogkid
Ogre

Post by Analogkid »

Tonight I won't be able to make it, have a scouting event at 7 pm pst
"Cast in his unlikely role....ill equipped to act"
Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Just checking in, if this is on, so I can make plans for this evening.

StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Friday Night Fun is on... hope to see everyone on.

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

That was scary, fun (and maddening), kudos StephenUmf! It was so close... if it wasn't for a string of 3 terrible rolls (or 1 mediocre and 2 wretchedly terrible) at a critical moment it might've been a completely different outcome. :evil: :cry:

I'm going to be replaying this one for a while in my mind, cursing the dice gods.

The good news I guess is... we seem to have hit a string of bad rolls at critical times, which means law of averages will even out? :|

Ithildur
Dungeon Master

Post by Ithildur »

Thai's and Aglaril had a rather fruitful (and amusing) experiment IC... I think we have a couple of options that should enhance our odds significantly if there's a rematch with any remaining sisters.

I've a question (which Aglaril brought up IC before heading in, but I'm pretty sure it was lost in the massive spam of text), do we have anyone with access to Death Ward? This is the third time (within a couple of tendays or so) this group has faced death magic wielders, and 2 of the sisters both wielded such. We might be able to get away with playing Russian roulette with pretty good odds, but a bad roll is a bad roll... Definitely worth looking into when facing high lvl casters.

Also, definitely feel the need to compare notes. It feels like we're missing some significant chunks of info/plot. I'm not sure what the best format to do that would be; I would favor a combination of forums plus ingame if we can manage it schedule-wise.
Last edited by Ithildur on Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.

StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Hello all:

First, thanks for coming out to play. Please send me PMs if you have any advice on my DM style to improve the play for all.

Second, the raven haired witch has left the crypt. Either through the main entrance or another exit... regardless, she is no longer there.

Third, I have a trip coming up. I will make Wednesday (2/26). However, I am not certain about the next Friday (2/28) and I will be on the wrong side of the world for 3/7. I will let you know as we get to the end of the week.

Sincerely,

Me

Galadorn
Haste Bear

Post by Galadorn »

Tha'is knows all too well that Bu has multiple uses of Death Ward per day. It's just not his thing to hunt down anyone to kill. But there are far more than a few good reasons Bu would go regardless of the above mentioned point... if IC he was coaxed or he felt he should. (believe me when I say, i'm not asking/expecting such coaxing, it is just a reality within the unreality of him). Also whenever he goes anywhere, bad things tend to happen, like when 'Beck' picks up a gun (anyone ever see The Rock in the movie "The Rundown"?) *snort*. And it's not OOC, he knows it as much as anyone! :) It's all fun whenever I join games I feel like the 5th wheel anyway. sigh
StephenUmpf
Dungeon Master

Post by StephenUmpf »

Hello All:

The event schedule is going to get a little screwed up. I am traveling to the other side of the planet and wont be around at the normal times. Plus it is very likely that I will be intoxicated when most of the normal gang is waking up (not that this matters, but I wanted to share, because it is ALL about me).

So here is the rough schedule:

2/26 - Wednesday - 10 PM EST to Midnight - ON - Open to all players (not just the low/mids), we can do some work on non combat plot stuff. PM me before hand any particular questions / train of thoughts you want to explore and what NPC you would ask. I will try to group it up nicely for all.

From here, send me IG PM's - For example, "Balkr enters the Keel's Haul. He winks at the bartender and has an indepth discussion on the new coinlass's love of salty foods. He then finds a quiet moment and inquires about the Red Haired Witches followers in the process he hands over twenty coins" - Rolled a 15 on gather info. I will respond from there. Hopefully, you will then take the information and share it with others via IG discussions or IC forum posts.

2/28 - Friday - Off - might be around but can't promise a regular session.

3/5 - Wednesday - Off

3/7 - Friday - Off

3/12 - Wednesday - 10 PM EST to Midnight - ??? - If on, open to all players (not just the low/mids), we will continue the work on non combat plot stuff.

3/14 Friday - 10 PM EST to Midnight - ON - Should be a good night... depends on the two Wednesday sessions and any IG PM stuff that gets accomplished in between.