The House Rules

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderator: NWN2 - 09 DM

Castano
Head Dungeon Master

The House Rules

Post by Castano »

1. Crafting
These are the crafting rules we are using

Magic Items (BG Rules):http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 42&t=43921

Mundane Items (TSM Rules):http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 11#p532445
Please read and familiarize yourself with them.

At a minimum you should approach a DM having figured out:

(1) that your PC is of sufficent level to make said item
(2) that he has the feat needed to make said item
(3) the number of hours you will need to spend RPing making the item
(4) a calculation of the cost of the crafting using either the online calculator tool, or a post to Standards

A online calculator tool for simple items, like +X skillpoints, is found here:

http://www.alandfaraway.org/~standards/

Please note the tool fails at complex items with more than one effect, and does not price cantrips right. If you are building those you must post to Standards to get a price quote. Team MS lacks the resources to be price checkers for everyone.

2. CVC

The two ways to have CvC going forward will be if players agree and are playing together or if the DMs are running it, by their choice.

For example, CvC in MS may not occur when:

It primarily results from a random encounter between two or more PCs in a public place or outdoors (wilderness, road, tavern, shop, etc.). ALFA is too small for that.
A PC 'hates' all members of another race or public faction which is not normally kill-on-sight in their environment.
Any other sort of random-killing; that is what NPCs are for.
CvC with a large level difference, unless the defender is a known antagonizer of the attacker. High-level PCs should have better things to do.
The DM team is busy and has no time to deal with it.
You think you might be metagaming. If that is the case you have an IC out, so please take it.

No real damage CVC without a DM present. When the DM is present, you must notify them, and wait until they give a go ahead. This means both parties freeze, even if the pause button is not pressed. Our team needs time to figure out what will happen, esp. if you are doing it in a populated area. You can always opt for sudual (e.g. a fistfight) when a DM is not around, or if we are busy with other aspects of the plot.

Also, and I know this has been stated ad nauseum in ALFA, but populated areas, markets, shops etc. are brimming with people. We do not spawn all the people because we do not have the supercomputer necessary to handle the load, but they are present for IC purposes.

3. Player Corpses

Because our automated systems do not account for what happens to a PC's loot after death, you must PM a server DM upon finding an already dead player corpse. The DM will adjust or not adjust the wealth depending on the age fo the corpse and what killed it. It's simply not realistic to walk off with mithril chain from a month old dead guy, in most cases. Note this rule does not apply to players that die while in your party and whom you loot on the battlefield after a victory - it does apply if you return to the site to retreive the dead after they have fallen - because the victors would have taken stuff after you bailed out.

4. Invisibility

You may not use invisibility in any combat situation, to eavesdrop or to set up for combat w/o a DM there to roll it out. You may use it to walk around hostile critters while exploring, if you give them such a wide berth that you would not trigger their radar anyway (just don't walk right up behind them, point and giggle). You may also use invisibility to escape from a hostile situation, on the grounds that we will not let NWN2's non PnP implementation result in any further damage.

5. PC/Faction HQ's (your house, inn, shrine or whatever)

Don't even bother asking for one that earns any coin. We're not keeping track, too much burden.

6. Leadership Feat

We will allow it, for RP purposes only. The cohorts/followers are not canon fodder nor are they mindless drones. We keep a strict interpretation of the rule per PnP - no monsters as pets. PnP penalties apply if your followers/cohorts die. Please understand DMs will limit the use of your followers as necessary, we do not have unlimited capacity to RP an entourage.
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Re: The House Rules

Post by Castano »

7. Tieflings:

"Because they are descended from evil outsiders, those who know of their ancestry immediately consider most tieflings evil and untrustworthy. Not all tieflings are evil or untrustworthy, but enough are that the prejudice tends to cling." FRCS

I rule from this that tieflings are not KOS on MS, HOWEVER, this does not mean people love them, want them living next door, drinking, sleeping or shopping in their villages.

This means that on MS, those villages that are must pass thru for everyone due to roads, will allow a tiefling to pass through, but not stay there or shop there. These would be most of our villages. When traveling tieflings should wear hoods etc., but IC the guards will ask for removal at the gates where there are gates and guards posted (MS guard are not INT=5 and like anywhere else would not let a masked bandit looking dude waltz past the gate w/o looking).

So PCs should RP appropriately...e.g. do not run up and hug the guards as if they are your buddies, do not shop, stay overnight or drink in tiny villages, INSTEAD please: RP that people stare at you, that they make you camp outside the gates etc.

Towns that are large ports: Callidyrr and Corwell, would not care much as they see strange folks in and out all the time.

Skaug: Skaug does not care at all, being a den of horrid pirates and other unsavory types.

Longer term, outside Skaug do not expect to gain any type of status with the locals. We are not re-doing the Drizzt books....

8. Age Play So called "age play" is not allowed on MS under any circumstances. This means: (1) your PC must be an adult (humans = 18 years old) and must not RP as if they are underage and (2) age play is broadly defined as any RP that is of a childlike or underage teenage type behavior or adult PCs interacting with other PCs is if they are underage. DMs will be the sole judge of whether your RP is in violation of this rule. This rule is made to comply with laws from certain countries, with our ethical obligations as your server team, both outside the gaming community and as DnD DMs. Also it's just plain creepy and we don't want it occurring on our server.

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

8. Crafting
These are the crafting rules we are using:

http://www.alandfaraway.org/forums/view ... 42&t=43921

Please read and familiarize yourself with them.

At a minimum you should approach a DM having figured out:

(1) that your PC is of sufficent level to make said item
(2) that he has the feat needed to make said item
(3) the number of hours you will need to spend RPing making the item
(4) some idea of the costs to make the item

Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

9. MS DMs are not obligated to honor the actions of ALFA DMs or players on other servers (including Miracle spells) that serve to undo any plot they are running. MS DMs will retcon or write around what they need to. Remember this when you decide it would be a good idea to wander to another server and get something changed - you may be wasting your time. We try to present a holistic PW, but blatant acts of end-running a DM'd plot will not be tolerated.

Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

PrC's

Those players wishing to pursue a PrC need to contact a DM well in advance of wanting to take the PrC.

The Player must show IC pursuit of said PrC and undergo training / questing etc to obtain said PrC. A blurb in your Bio does not count as pursuit.

THEY WILL NOT BE HANDED OUT LIKE COOKIES
Current NWN2 PC: TSM- Lessa

HDM of Moonshae Server DM on BG
Builder Everywhere
DM times - 6:30-10 PM Saturdays PDT on MS . . other times as I show up
PM me on Discord if you want to be DMd on BG I have Monday nights available
Talk to me if you want to learn to build for NWN2

Tech Admin
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

RESTING

Each DM has the right to establish their own resting rules ...........

Arianna will use the following for simplification

Short sleeping/resting

Spellcasters will need a minimum 6 hours of uninterrupted sleep/reverie, plus one hour per spell level to be cast above level 6 spells in order to gain enough rest to focus on their spells, magic weave, prayers etc.

Non spellcasters will need a minimum of 4 hours of sleep, with no more than light armor on, to banish fatigue

Full rest of 8-10 hours out of armor will give you full normal resting per the PhB

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Spoiler:
FALLING

Its not the fall that's deadly but the sudden stop at the end .. . . .The idea that PCs or monsters over XX amount of HP have no chance of dieing when falling or jumping off a cliff is unrealistic.......

Whenever a creature/PC falls and takes damage, roll the falling damage normally [per normal falling rules], then multiply the result by the amount shown on the chart below, using the appropriate size category for the creature. In cases where there is both lethal and non-lethal damage, apply the multiplier to the lethal damage and the non-lethal damage separately. Round up to the nearest whole number where necessary.

Fall Damage by Creature Size............

Size Adjustment to
Damage Roll

Diminuitive x .1
Tiny x .25
Small x .75
Medium No adjustment
Large x 1.5
Huge x 3
Gargantuan x 4.5
Colossal x 6

For Falls over 150 feet . ..

In addition to the fall damage, the creature/PC must make a Fortitude save, with the DC equal to 1/10th the distance fallen, or die from the massive sudden trauma to its entire body. For every size category larger than Medium, increase the DC by 4. For every size category smaller than Medium, decrease the DC by 2. If falling onto softer or yielding surfaces (soft/unpacked earth, mud, snow, water), decrease the DC by 2. If the falling creature/PC is bouncing off of rocks or protrusions on the way down there will be an additional 1d6 per large object hit.

Skills like Tumble etc will help to mitigate falling damages of less then 150 feet
Redacted

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

Spoiler:
Skill checks

A rolled ,1 is a failure no matter how many pluses you have to the contrary

There is always a chance you don't know some particular thing even if the next person does.
Redacted by DMA demand

I am told that due to SRD people are not allowed to ever have fail within the DC

So for many things it will pointless for me to even ask for a roll

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin
Arianna
Tech Admin

Post by Arianna »

CRAFTING _ Honestly I Hate It . . . and I thought I posted this once before but evidently it was just a PM to someone previously

Several reasons . . ..
On one hand

1 - its a headache . . even when someone "provides" me with the cost/ xp formulation I have to double/triple check it cause I have had people in the past give me the wrong formulations . .[ I hate math and try as I might the Pricing guide make very little sense to me]. I am ultimately responsible price/legality of crafted items handed out on MS.

2 - When I have one or more people cranking out Magic items, It quickly makes it so I can no longer give out loot or special items for dungeons completed since any ONE person in the group being OVER the wealth limit severely limits what can be handed out. Since players share and hand things to each other even handing a item to a specific toon does not mean it will stay with the toon which is of course perfectly IC even if it makes things difficult. I have to also take into account that several characters have wealth that is not shown on their listings when I hit P because they have tons of coin/items squirreled away in bank accounts/P-storage.

3- I have a hard time making IC sense of a person being able to spend only a couple of days crafting magical items, or worse starting them, carrying them around while they go adventuring and never having anything befall said item while getting damaged.

4- Time is quicksilver in NWN2 we tend to use realtime for continuation of DM run adventures, yet we want to use the down in between times to cover crafting or what drives me crazy, log in and go AFK for the "time in game" required component. Again, I understand why, from a player standpoint as they have to use the UP time to regain the XP they lose in crafting, but doesn't make it easier from my viewpoint.

On the other hand
I don't want to make crafting totally off the board -

Crafting ANY item that requires a DM to assist on MS will take a minimum of one RL month to accomplish . . if the normal crafting time is longer, then that crafting time will be used
I hate it that some try to crank out 5-6 items or more in a month. If magic was truly that easy you could get it EVERYWHERE like some department store item.

Builder Everywhere

Tech Admin