Password for TSM?

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderators: Wynna, NWN2 - 03 DM

Dorn
Haste Bear

Password for TSM?

Post by Dorn »

Hey DM team.

What's the thought on dropping the password protect?

I dont think the nwn2 community is of a scale that we're likely to see horrible farmers ruining our games anymore so wonder if we can drop it and therefore get rid of a whole process to apply to ALFA and related website sections and so on.

Not a big thing either way, but I was just re-writing the 'new players' guide and forum section and then got into the application and password process/description things and was wondering...

What dya reckon?
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Re: Password for TSM?

Post by shad0wfax »

WHL is not at all ready to be public. It's an alpha server.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I am all for dropping our passwords, and helped in originally doing so on BG.

The original vision was that having no password made that server an Open Application Server, and the DMs on that server could make recommendations for accepting new members.

It is a bit of a shambles now, and we seldom see new visitors. And most of them don't stick around. I'm the only one checking applications on the website that I know of, and we are only seeing applications in the single digits each month these days.

So, dropping the passwords is a good thing. Whether WHL follows the others is up to the HDM/admin I guess, but let's drop for TSM if everyone is on board. It doesn't look like anyone is opposed in any case.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

I support TSM being open, but Curmudgeon and Wynna have a stake in that and barring a DMA forced action, it's their decision.

Reach out to Curmudgeon.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

if he doesn't reply in a week i can shoot him an email i guess 8)
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Well I used to be a TSM DM so . . . .

We should drop the password for all servers and the entire application process. Neither serves any useful purpose any longer.
maxcell
Githyanki

Post by maxcell »

oldgrayrogue wrote:Well I used to be a TSM DM so . . . .

We should drop the password for all servers and the entire application process. Neither serves any useful purpose any longer.
Sure they do. Your group is rping an adventurer walking the trails outside BG. The moment is tense. Everyone rping in character. Meanwhile Jeff the Rapist is busy running past you all to kill the chickens over there, shouting "Obama Sucks!!" as he races in between your group, bumping you out of the way.
((hey listen, we rp our characters here as if they are real. We would be glad to let you play with us, but it would have to be in character. Do you want me to give you some tips on that in a tell?))
Jeff the Rapist runs around silently for a few moments circling the group, before yelling "Fuck you Assholes!! I am having fun!!"

Having first one then two open servers has not helped the population issue, nor player retention not any other thing it was supposed to. Why would another?

no thanks
As it is, We have a couple of servers that are a sanctuary for some of us here who //redacted//. If that is gone so am I.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

Well, maybe that's true, Max, but I will say that I've no met any Jack the Rapist on our open servers neither.
(There was one case that was quickly dealt with I think?)
Anyways, I can dig the desire to have one last haven of safety with a password.
Don't think it matters much either way (I'm pretty sure you can log into BG and cross to TSM without a password).
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Xanthea
Dungeon Master

Post by Xanthea »

I'm reasonably sure these theoretical Jeff the Rapist PCs don't actually exist.
Heero
Beholder

Post by Heero »

Xanthea wrote:I'm reasonably sure these theoretical Jeff the Rapist PCs don't actually exist.
Well not now, but Ill be the first to admit that Jeff the Rapist sounds awesome so stay tuned...
Heero just pawn in game of life.

12.August.2013: Never forget.
15.December.2014: Never forget.

The Glorious 12.August.2015: Always Remember the Glorious 12th.
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

maxcell wrote:

Sure they do. (snipped for effect) " Jeff the Rapist is ..." (snipped)
no thanks
As it is, We have a couple of servers that are a sanctuary for some of us here who //redacted//. If that is gone so am I.
Max, not seen you in game lately. But I have to agree, and not only in sentiment.
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

gonz.0 wrote:
maxcell wrote:

Sure they do. (snipped for effect) " Jeff the Rapist is ..." (snipped)
no thanks
Max, not seen you in game lately. But I have to agree, and not only in sentiment.
Max this May have been valid a long time ago but now?

As someone who logs in to play pretty regularly I have never experienced anything like this. It is a hypothetical situation not grounded in our present reality. In fact, I have tried most of the more popular NWN2 servers out there with open access and have never seen anything like this ever. The present reality of ALFA is that the players you are most likely to see in game are those you make plans to play with or old mainstays you run into. Anyone still playing this very old game is probably a D&D nerd like the rest of us. Anyone trying out ALFA is probably a "serious RP" aficionado like the rest of us. I mean we are basically giving away copies of the game to try to get new players to play but we need passwords and a long application process? There are simply no barbarians waiting to storm the gates. Drop these antiquated requirements.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Characters like Jeff the Rapist are typically used by trolls and skiddies-- who tend to use trainers and just get autobanned. I can find a few "Jeff the Rapist" type characters on the database, but they were in play for about 20 milliseconds, and now that CD key isn't allowed to play in ALFA anymore. They're still pretty rare, 'course; it's not like we're getting daily or even weekly logins autobanned by the sort, but ALFA has some programmatic filters to spare us the most-extreme examples.
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Zelknolf wrote:Characters like Jeff the Rapist are typically used by trolls and skiddies-- who tend to use trainers and just get autobanned. I can find a few "Jeff the Rapist" type characters on the database, but they were in play for about 20 milliseconds, and now that CD key isn't allowed to play in ALFA anymore. They're still pretty rare, 'course; it's not like we're getting daily or even weekly logins autobanned by the sort, but ALFA has some programmatic filters to spare us the most-extreme examples.
Exactly, and thanks Zelk. If this happens the disruption to serious RP is minimal and its rare.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I can dig desire to have one last haven of safety with a password.

Even if it's just to make oldies feel good.

Unless you're like... 100% sure that by opening it up we'll gain 10 maxs (impossible!)
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea