blank fields in chooser

General forum for server information, questions, and announcements.

Moderators: Wynna, NWN2 - 03 DM

Regas
ALFA Representative

blank fields in chooser

Post by Regas »

Noticed that a number of areas don't list on the new chooser, just show as blank fields
Game spy ID: Regas Seive
GMT -5(EST)
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: blank fields in chooser

Post by Brokenbone »

Recommend going over to the "ticket" part of site.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Swift
Mook

Post by Swift »

There is a bug with the new chooser which currently ignores any 'hidden' text in object names (ie the text inside curly brackets {}). The areas are likely showing as blank because of that bug.

If it is intentional design, we will edit the area names.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

Saw a ticket opened already so forget my suggestion. And yeah in a non-ticket I guess Teric reported that {curly brackets} stuff doesn't display so that could be a factor too.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Two likely possibilities, if you're seeking a module-level fix:
If the areas actually only contain names which are inside curly brackets, then yeah you'll get blank lines. Or a space. In any case, GetName() is returning something unhelpful, and things outside of curly brackets will show.

If area names are particularly long-- namely, longer than the box that contains them-- NWN2 has the awesome solution of just not drawing any of it. We solve this in the Creator by cutting the names short before sending them to the GUI with an ellipsis, but that never got into the Chooser. I'd thought the boxes would be wide enough for the real cases and that the calculation is expensive for something running on the main thread.

Also thought that curly brackets were being used primarily to sort areas, but wouldn't be so necessary anymore now that the chooser had a concept of area adjacency and a search bar. The things you learn when you break someone's workflow.

In any case, a fix isn't going to be easy or expected soon. Should probably prepare some name tweaks to survive in the interim.