Semi-dual deity worship by a paladin?

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Semi-dual deity worship by a paladin?

Post by Dorn »

hi all you FR experts

I have a lathanderite paladin.

He loves lathander and believes he does his lords work by aiding the grand endeavour that is the Silver Marches and to protect the good folk trying to make their own new beginnings in this dangerous, savage, new frontier by driving evil away from them. He also likes jogging :roll:

He is also devout to Torm. His father was a Tormtar paladin and the lessons and example of duty have rubbed off on my PC. He has his own code of behaviour (eg torm) while undertaking his work for lathander believing that this mission is, in part, a duty (eg torm) as well as a 'life-quest'.

He wears armour with both dieties symbols embossed upon it as part of his homage, but the blessed symbol on a necklace over his heart is that of the rising sun.

OOC:
Lathander's his primary deity, Torm is the 'god of paladins'. So he workshops them both but to a different degree - lathander first and foremost

In a pantheatic world such as FR, folk would pray to many gods. A farmer who is part of a militia may pray to Tempus before repelling a raid on his village, chauntea when he returns to his crops, waukeen when bartering at the market and even Talos when the storms look like destroying his harvest etc

But for a paladin the rules must be tighter and I'd appreciate you opinion on the above.
playing Nathaniel Ward - Paladin of the Morninglord and devout of Torm (cookie cutter and proud of it)
CloudDancing
Ancient Red Dragon

Re: Semi-dual deity worship by a paladin?

Post by CloudDancing »

You have to get your divine power from someone.

So my palli can serve Lathander entirely, but revere Chauntea because of her relation to him and her family are farmers.
kid
Dungeon Master

Post by kid »

I don't know if there are specific rules for something like this.

An appreciation for Torm or even following some of his creed doesn't seem to be a problem as the two aren't that different. As long as whenever there is a choice between the two it would always be Lathander, even though I can't think of any such choice.
<paazin>: internet relationships are really a great idea
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

I'd add the little tidbit that you have to remain true to your patron god to make this work-- not really a risk with Lathander and Torm. But if you're, say, a cleric of Cyric worshipping a second god on the side, that probably costs you your spells.
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

One's a patron deity, and up to 50 or 100 others could receive odds and ends veneration so long as it doesn't make you "false" (i.e., actively running contrary to relevant dogma) in terms of the original patron. It'd be perfectly good roleplay to demonstrate a PC doesn't have blinders on to all other faiths... even to the point of minor tips of the hat to even evil deities. - Setting an empty place at a feast to propitiate Beshaba, agreeing to buy a hog for a ship's captain to slaughter to appease Umberlee before a sailing voyage, I'm sure there's other canon examples or little cool things you could make up yourself as examples... and that's in the extreme "omg did something for an evil deity" variety, as opposed to "keeps word like a Tormtar" type of thing.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

Considering there are FR PrCs dedicated to a paladin worshipping the whole Triad, I think so long as your patron god and the gods you pay homage to are within similar ethos, you're golden.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

I've always found the concept of single-deity devotion in a world where the gods can be proven to be real questionable at best. Sure, as a divine caster you need to have a patron, and you don't want to clash with your patrons choice of allies, but apart from that, I'd think that for a paladin it's pretty appropriate to act respectful towards other deities (especially if they are affinite). And for a normal person to "hedge their bets". (Ask my character IC about the protection racket that the gods run... :D)

Or from the other extreme: You might actually be violating your code of conduct as a (Lathanderite) paladin if you waltz into a village of devout Chauntean farmers and tell them their goddess is fat and lazy.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

I might note how capable people are of denying things which are proven real. See most conspiracy theories and all of the science denial stuff.

Though, 'course, "My god's girlfriend is fat and lazy!" seems unlikely to play well with any god, and Lathander has always gotten along with the Triad (gets along so well that he changes his name and turns LG by late 3.5!)
oldgrayrogue
Retired

Post by oldgrayrogue »

Ditch those aristocratic, dawn worshipping glass half full optimists, accept your duty, and go full Torm

The Power of Torm Compels you! (sorry inside joke) =p