'Marsember, mended!' By Ed Greenwood

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Inwintersshadow
Orc Champion

'Marsember, mended!' By Ed Greenwood

Post by Inwintersshadow »

I discovered this on Candlekeep forum while researching my PC from Marsember in Cormyr. Just in-case anyone else may have a use for it I have shared it below. (Source:http://www.candlekeep.com/library/artic ... sember.htm )

The work contained on this page is the property and copyright of Ed Greenwood and was provided courtesy of 'The Hooded One' on behalf of Ed Greenwood on his thread on the Candlekeep Forum. It has been formatted for viewing on the web by the Scribes of Candlekeep.

MARSEMBAN FEATURES (including those mentioned in the novel ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER/Ed Greenwood, 2004):
NOTES: Of the maps published before the current DUNGEON map (which I haven't seen yet), the one I drew for VOLO'S GUIDE TO CORMYR (p42, key p43) should be considered definitive. The first 22 keyed features given here match the numbers used thereon. The western half of Marsember is honeycombed with narrow barge-canals, usually 30 feet wide and seldom shown on any map. It's therefore rare for a building in this part of the city to have any sort of a “yard.” Volo's belief that Marsember's streets were nameless was wrong, but few names are heard in everyday usage.
1. The King's Tower (abode of the King's Lord of Marsember, the Herald, and the garrison)
2. Morningmist Hall (temple of Lathander)
3. Starwater Keep (naval drydock and fortress)
4. The Roaring Griffon (inn and tavern; formerly the Drowning Fish festhall)
5. The Cloven Shield (inn and tavern)
6. The Old Oak (inn and tavern)
7. The Barrelstone Inn
8. The Drowning Flagon (inn)
9. The Net of Pearls (curio shop)
10. Swordspires (city villa of the Thundersword noble family)
11. Iyrinthorn (city villa of the Illance noble family)
12. Stormwinds Towers (fortified mansion of Szwentil Illeon, founder of the Six Coffers Market Priakos)
13. Sharmran Isle (local nickname “Fishgut Rock”)
14. Antanmaran's Isle (local nickname “The Prow”)
15. The Drowned Sailors Society (club)
16. The Masked Merfolk (nightclub)
17. The Wight On A Weredragon (dining-house [restaurant])
18. The Platter of Plenty (dining-house [restaurant])
19. The Tankard of Eels (tavern)
20. Luckfist Hall (shrine to Tymora)
21. Faircoins Moneychanger (shrine to Waukeen)
22. Deepgreen House (shrine to Umberlee)
23. Indur's Warehouses, overlying the Maranthar Undercellars (subterranean warehouse chambers, 120 feet below; constructed by the extinct wealthy Marsemban shipping family of Maranthar: contains hidden portal linking with a dead-end alley in the Trades Ward of Waterdeep)
24. Bracegauntlet Gard (fortified mansion of the Bracegauntlet noble family)
25. Dagohnlar House (tallhouse of the Dagohnlar noble family)
26. Mistwind Towers (mansion of the Mistwind noble family)
27. Monthorhall (mansion of the Monthor noble family)
28. Ravensgar House (mansion of the Ravensgar noble family)
29. Wavegallant Spires (mansion of the Wavegallant noble family)
30. Haelithtorntowers, walled estate (home of Lady Joysil Ambrur)
31. Thundaerlyn Hall (meeting-hall and rental market- and revel-moot)
32. Felgontar's Firehelm (large, popular, respectable dining-house [restaurant])
33. The Leaping Eel (rowdy sailors' tavern)
34. The Amorous Anchor (festhall and smuggling den; connected via secret passages to many shop and warehouse cellars)
35. The Harbortower
36. Blackpillars (fortified tallhouse of Delthrin the Deadmaster, reclusive necromancer)
37. Stormhold (home of Filfaeril Stormbillow, sorceress and seller of magic items and potions)
38. home of Vindala Chalanther (illusionist, tutor and spellhurler-for-hire)

A. Assander Street
B. Calathanter Street
C. Chancever Street
D. Daunsul Street
E. Fendrol's Way
F. Gelguld Lane
G. Hammarhantus Lane
H. Tarnsar Lane
I. Thelvarspike Lane
J. The Lightless Lamp (meeting-place; broken street-lamp on Thelvarspike)

Fellow scribes, I've pulled some strings locally and got my hands on a copy of DUNGEON 113. I haven't yet examined the adventure, though at first glance it seems both playable and interesting (for example, the lore on page 36 of the DUNGEON issue, facing the map, is all “dead on” correct and feels right to me, as someone all too familiar with the city of Marsember).
The map of Marsember printed in the magazine is visually the best yet drawn, and quite accurate as to layout of streets and buildings when compared to my original Realms campaign map (Ed drew the originals for the FR Adventures hardcover maps, of course, and we ‘original players' had photocopies even before TSR did).
However, it seems someone didn't read Ed's map closely, or couldn't read the copy of it they received, or just didn't bother following his lore very closely. Why, oh why make changes to Realmslore? Don't those changing it realize that (at least in Ed's head) everything is linked? Grrr. Consistency consistency consistency (goes off muttering, in usual daily editor's grousing mode: * I * manage to keep things straight when I do MY editing -- what's wrong with these folks? Grumble grumble mutter . . . ) Perhaps I speak too harshly: Ed's earlier comments about the inclusion of streets making the map unreadable, plus my own knowledge of magazine publication deadlines, suggest he might have faxed the DUNGEON staff a map, and the result might well have been very hard to read.
Yet because it's important that any published map of Marsember displays features that match up in locations with the published text of Ed's recent novel ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER, I've done a little revision work using the DUNGEON map's key numbering and what Ed revealed to us, the players of inquisitive PCs, of his original campaign notes. All who'd like a truly accurate (though still incomplete) map of Marsember are invited to read on.
1. The King's Tower (abode of the King's Lord of Marsember, the Herald, and the garrison)
2. Ravensgar House (mansion of the Ravensgar noble family)
3. The Tankard of Eels (tavern)
Note: rather than the tiny building marked as “3,” the tavern is actually the large “U” or “C” -shaped building to the northwest. [The building marked as “3” is actually the home (upstairs) and shop (street level) of Amthur Ondamus, importer of exotic quaffs and philtres (= medicinal concoctions).]

4. The Leaping Eel (rowdy sailors' tavern)
Note: rather than the building marked as “4,” the tavern is actually in the building marked “5” on the map. [The building marked as “4” is actually the home (upstairs) and shop (street level) of Arnthus Malree, Netmaker and Netmender.]

5. The Roaring Griffon (inn and tavern; formerly the Drowning Fish festhall)
Note: rather than the building marked as “5,” the Griffon is actually in the large building JUST inside the western gate of Marsember (occupying the angle immediately east of the central guardtower between the two gate-arches). [The building marked as “5” is actually The Leaping Eel tavern (see #4, above).]

6. Wavegallant Spires (mansion of the Wavegallant noble family)
7. Stormwinds Towers (fortified mansion of Szwentil Illeon, founder of the Six Coffers Market Priakos)
Note: “Towers,” NOT ‘Tower' as the DUNGEON map has it.

8. Deepgreen House (shrine to Umberlee)
9. The Wight On A Weredragon (dining-house [restaurant])
Note: the map tag seems to float in the middle of a large stretch of harbor, which would make for rather damp dining. There should be an arrow connecting the numeral “9” with a particular building to the northwest. To find it, go northwest from the numeral across water to the two parallel docks or wharves jutting out from an island, and from those docks move west to a largish L-shaped building at about the centre of the SE side of the street that curves most of the length of the island (Hammarhantus Lane, but we'll get to street names later). That L-shaped building is The Wight On A Weredragon.

10. The Amorous Anchor (festhall and smuggling den; connected via secret passages to many shop and warehouse cellars)
11. Felgontar's Firehelm (large, popular, respectable dining-house [restaurant])
12. Morningmist Hall (temple of Lathander)
13. Chalanther House [home of Vindala Chalanther (illusionist, tutor and spellhurler-for-hire)].
Note: rather than the building marked as “13,” Vindala actually dwells in the isolated building immediately south of (the pointed southern end of) The King's Tower (#1), fronting on a street just west of a bridge and sharing a waterfront with the walls of the Tower. This happens to be important to me, because my primary character once flung a rock through her window as a warning, from a boat in the harbor -- a feat that would have been godlike in power and accuracy, if I'd done it and managed to awaken Vindala in the building marked as her home on the DUNGEON map. Oh, I'm sure some will say she decided to move house for some reason, but knowing the lady as I do, I doubt she'd have ended up in #13, which is a busy (and filthy) smithy belonging to one Uorn Hallowhand, Armorer, Chainmaker, and Weaponsmith, surrounded by decaying warehouses used as storage for scrap metals, bones, rags, and other ‘gleanings' that lowcoin Marsembans bring for reuse. The name of Vindala's home has been added, but is entirely in keeping with Marsemban naming conventions for abodes of folk of her social station.

14. Stormhold (home of Filfaeril Stormbillow, sorceress and seller of magic items and potions)
Note: rather than the building marked as “14,” Filfaeril actually inhabits the odd ‘bent-shaped' building immediately south of the wall-tower that's “first tower west” of the numeral “14” marked on the DUNGEON map.
[The building marked as “14” on the map is Dagohnlar House (tallhouse of the Dagohnlar noble family), a location that features prominently in the action of ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER. Again, narrow canals aren't shown on any published Marsember map, but it's a pity that this mistake has crept in mere months after the publication of that novel -- and NO, the Dagohnlars have NOT moved house to a far less fashionable address. :}]

15. Faircoins Moneychanger (moneylending, moneychanging, and contract-witnessing business, and shrine to Waukeen)
16. Haelithtorntowers, walled estate (home of Lady Joysil Ambrur)
17. Swordspires (city villa of the Thundersword noble family)
18. The Net of Pearls (curio shop)
Note: rather than the building marked as “18” on the DUNGEON map, the “Pearls” (as locals call it) is actually in the building immediately to the north of it, in the square building covered by the white fletching of the drawn arrow. [The building marked as “18” is actually the rundown former city villa of the long-exiled Merendil noble family, a crumbling four-storey structure that has for years has served as a rooming-house.]

19.The Old Oak (inn and tavern)
20. Luckfist Hall (shrine to Tymora)
21. The Masked Merfolk (nightclub)
Note: rather than the building marked as “21,” the Merfolk is actually in the building that stands in the southwest corner of the intersection of the street Luckfist Hall (#20, above) is on the east side of, with Calathanter Street (the east-west street that runs more or less parallel to the city wall here, “first south of the wall” and enters the walled naval base a block east of here). In other words, go due northwest from the building marked “21” over an intervening building and diagonally across a street, and you'll reach the front door of the Merfolk. [The building marked “21” on the DUNGEON map is actually one of the largest “manydoors” houses ( = apartment houses with longstay tenants, rather than a shortstay rooming-house) in Marsember, built on a reputedly-haunted site used by a succession of several former mansions.]

22. Iyrinthorn (city villa of the Illance noble family)
23. The Cloven Shield (inn and tavern)
24. The Platter of Plenty (dining-house [restaurant])
25. Thundaerlyn Hall (meeting-hall and rental market- and revel-moot)
26. Indur's Warehouses, overlying the Maranthar Undercellars (subterranean warehouse chambers, 120 feet below; constructed by the extinct wealthy Marsemban shipping family of Maranthar: contains hidden portal linking with a dead-end alley in the Trades Ward of Waterdeep).
Note: The arrow on the DUNGEON map points to a single building, but Indur's is actually a complex of the four easternmost buildings on this isle (the one indicated on the published map being the westernmost of the northshore pair).

27. The Drowning Flagon (inn)
28. Everet Villa (Delthrin's catacombs)
Note: this is of course a new feature added in the DUNGEON adventure. The catacombs, as mapped in the adventure, thankfully don't interfere with the adjacent and extensive Maranthar Undercellars described in Ed's novel, which lie partially beneath it.

29. Mistwind Towers (mansion of the Mistwind noble family)
30. The Drowned Sailors Society (club)
31. Monthorhall (mansion of the Monthor noble family)
32. The Barrelstone Inn
Note: rather than the building marked as “32” on the DUNGEON map, the “Barrel” (as locals call it) is actually the large U- or C-shaped building on the north shore of the same isle, but one bridge to the west. In other words, the building standing just southeast of the bridge crossed by the arrow for “25” that's printed on the map. [The building indicated as “32” is actually the home (upstairs) and shop/bakery (street level) of ‘Mother' Tanthra Bellbow and her three daughters (Amaera, Doroeva, and Phantra), popular throughout Marsember for her cheese buns and hardloaves of nut bread.]

33. Bracegauntlet Gard (fortified mansion of the Bracegauntlet noble family)
34. Naval Drydock. This map tag has been added to the key, but drawn from Ed's earlier maps, and is correct in identification and location. It's merely been separated from #35.
35. Starwater Keep (naval fortress)
36. The Harbortower
Missing from the published map are street names, island names (BTW, the Marsemban term for these islands or islets is “Isle”), and one building: Blackpillars (the fortified tallhouse of Delthrin the Deadmaster, reclusive necromancer). While I can appreciate that the design demands of the published adventure might have necessitated Delthrin moving house, the tallhouse he used to live in should still be marked.
A ‘tallhouse,' by the way, resembles a New York or Chicago tenement in outward aspect (it might be called a ‘row house' elsewhere), being tall (four to six floors counting from the street upwards; thanks to the sea, very few places in Marsember have dry cellars, or extensive cellars at all), narrow, and usually touching the neighboring structures. However, tallhouses in Faerun are VERY rarely built with adjacent buildings, nor do they resemble them closely enough to ever properly be called a “terrace,” such as the buildings put up by Wren in London.
To find the location of Delthrin's former tallhouse, look at the “straight stretch” of city wall on the published DUNGEON map: that is, the run of city wall beginning at the tower next to the arrow for “2” and running east to the arrows for “14, 13, 15,” and so on. If the tower beside the 2-arrow is counted as the first tower, look between the second and third towers. The third building east of the second tower is larger than its neighboring buildings, and occupies the northern angle of a streetmoot. It is (or was) Delthrin's tallhouse, which he rebuilt into a keep by purchasing two adjacent tallhouses and filling much of them with dressed and fitted stone from within, making them in effect VERY thick sidewalls to his own home (the exceptions being a few pass-through rooms to “firing-port” windows that he covered with hinged lattices of iron bars).

MARSEMBER'S ISLANDS
Turning to the islands first, it's perhaps easiest to move across the map from west to east, and from seaward to landward. The bridges referred to hereafter are single arches of stone, with stone ‘manypillars' side-rails, cobbled surfaces wide enough for a full-sized wagon and a rider to comfortably pass each other, small drainholes here and there, and a high enough clearance from the water for barges to pass underneath (tall persons standing on barges had better duck in most cases!).

1. The westernmost island (south of The King's Tower and much larger than the island that's due east of The King's Tower) is Harmuth Isle (local nickname “The Old Ship”). Among the buildings on Harmuth is Wavegallant Spires (mansion of the Wavegallant noble family), map feature #6 on the DUNGEON map.

2. North of Harmuth and due east of The King's Tower is Antanmaran's Isle (local nickname “The Prow”). It's connected to mainland Marsember by a bridge, and other bridges link it to Harmuth and to Nornsar Isle. The stretch of water between Harmuth and Antanmaran's Isles and western mainland Marsember (dominated by The King's Tower) is known as “The Long Run,” and reaches the West Basin or New Harbor part of the city docks.

3. Due east of Harmuth and connected to it by a bridge is West Darnmist (“Isle” is NEVER added to this name by Marsembans, only by ignorant outlanders). Bridges link it to neighboring East Darnmist and to Baerouth's Isle, which lies to the north.

4. Due north of West Darnmist and linked to it by a bridge is Baerouth's Isle(pronounced “Bayur-OOth's”). Other bridges link this isle to Orm Isle, directly to the east, and Nornsar Isle (local nickname “The Nornsar”), which lies north of Baerouth's, between it and the mainland. Deepgreen House, map feature #8 on the DUNGEON map, stands on Baerouth's Isle.

5. Nornsar Isle lies north of Baerouth's Isle, east of Antanmaran's Isle, south of mainland Marsember, and west of Gauntan Isle (and is linked to all of these places by bridges). As explained in my earlier post, The Wight On A Weredragon dining-house (map feature #9 on the DUNGEON map) stands on Nornsar Isle. Due north of the Nornsar are the East Basin or Old Harbor wharves of Marsember (on the published DUNGEON map, the numeral “11” has been placed in the mouth of the Old Harbor).

6. East Darnmist lies immediately east of West Darnmist, south of Orm Isle, and west of Stormrock Isle. Two bridges link it to West Darnmist, and lone bridges link it to the other two islands. Stormwinds Towers (map feature #7 on the DUNGEON map) stands on the westernmost point of East Darnmist, overlooking the narrow passage between East and West Darnmist, a cut known to locals as “Floating Fish Run” because during calm waters it often fills with floating refuse (during storms, it turns into a roaring, churning stretch of roiling waters). As with West Darnmist, the word “Isle” is never used when Marsembans speak of this island.

7. Orm Isle lies north of East Darnmist, west of Baerouth's Isle, and east of Stormrock Isle, and is linked to them all by bridges. Swordspires, map feature #17 on the DUNGEON map, stands on Orm Isle.

8. Gauntan Isle is north of Orm Isle, but no bridge links them (the body of water between them, enclosed by the islands all around, is known to Marsembans as Bargemoot, because it's the part of the harbor most likely to be choked with barges moored to each other, and other boats trying to get past). Gauntan lies south of the mainland, west of Nornsar Isle, and east of Sharmran Isle, and is linked to all three locales by bridges. Morningmist Hall (map feature #12 on the DUNGEON map) stands on Gauntan Isle.

9. Stormrock Isle (more often spoken of by locals as “The Stormrock” or just “the Rock,” as in: “We're going out to the Rock this even”) lies northeast of East Darnmist, south and east of Orm Isle, south of Dawnturtle Isle, and southwest of Aertoprann's Isle, and is linked to all of them by bridges (to Dawnturtle only, by two bridges). The longest private wharf in Marsember juts northwest from Stormrock; it was built centuries ago by a shipwright and smuggler named Osril Lurth, and after his murder passed through a bewildering variety of owners. Nowadays, it's owned by Juskul ‘Fishhook' Dree, a sinister sophisticate of a fleet owner rumored to be involved in all manner of shady businesses and illicit practises -- and undeniably the host of some of Marsember's wildest and most decadent revels. Among the buildings on the Stormrock are Iyrinthorn (city villa of the Illance noble family, and map feature #22 on the DUNGEON map) and The Cloven Shield (inn and tavern, and map feature #23 on the DUNGEON map).

10. Dawnturtle Isle (locals usually just say “Dawnturtle”) lies due north of Stormrock Isle, southeast of Sharmran Isle, and west of Aertoprann's Isle. A lone bridge links it with Sharmran, but twin bridges link it with both the Stormrock and Aertoprann's Isle. A bustling crossroads full of seedy, sagging wooden dwellings with external porches and balconies dripping with molds and mosses, Dawnturtle was traditionally where visiting sailors slept or found medical attention or sought low-priced companionship. Though such pursuits have spread throughout the eastern Marsemban islands, Dawnturtle remains the center of shopping, dining, and services that don't involve ships docking, loading or unloading, or the warehousing of cargo. The Platter of Plenty dining-house (feature #24 on the DUNGEON map) stands at the heart of Dawnturtle.

11. Sharmran Isle (local nickname “Fishgut Rock”). No longer the exclusive haunt of reeking fishmonger's cutting-houses and smokehouses, Sharmran remains an aromatic (okay, “stinking”) place much hurried through by visitors and Marsembans alike. It was named for the long-dead “Harbor Witch,” a darkly beautiful sorceress known to be able to take on aquatic shapes, and widely rumored to have seduced men and dragged them down to watery deaths, who dwelt in a long-vanished hut at its eastern end. Popular local lore insists she kept much treasure in underwater caves and clefts in the eastern face of the isle, but these have been searched many times over in the mucky water, and nothing beyond mussels and eels has ever been found.

12. Aertoprann's Isle lies due east of Dawnturtle Isle (two bridges link them), northeast of Stormrock Isle (a single bridge links them), immediately west of Spraystone Isle (two bridges link them), and southeast of Wrauntwreck Isle (a single bridge links them). Mistwind Towers (mansion of the Mistwind noble family and DUNGEON map feature 29) stands on Aertoprann's Isle, which is named for a long-ago bridge-builder and dredge-barge-operator of Marsember, who made a stupendous fortune by such activities -- and then mysteriously vanished one summer. Ilnter Aertoprann was probably murdered by shady business associates, but there are literally hundreds of wild local tales about his fate, from escaping pirates and smugglers who were trying to slay him by marrying into the Obarskyrs with the War Wizards changing his face and name for his own safety (and the royal family getting his millions in return), to Aertoprann getting tired of it all and buying access to a gate [3e: portal] to a distant corner of Faerun, to live out the rest of his life in anonymous idleness, reading books and making love to half a dozen hired Marsemban mistresses. There are also, of course, scores of tales about Aertoprann's hidden riches awaiting lucky finders, somewhere (or a lot of somewheres) in Marsember.

13. Spaer Isle is linked to only one other Marsemban island: Old Arn Isle, which lies directly to the north of it, between it and the eastern end of mainland Marsember. The scene of much action in both the DUNGEON adventure and Ed's recent novel ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER, Spaer is home to Indur's Warehouses (DUNGEON map feature #26), The Drowning Flagon (inn, and map feature #27), and Everet Villa (Delthrin's catacombs and map feature #28). Most of the buildings on it are warehouses in various states of decrepitude, and it's named for Ardreth Spaer, a fearless Marsemban seacaptain of old whose numerous (and far less famous or accomplished) descendants still work in many businesses all over the harbor.

14. Old Arn Isle (always just “Old Arn” to locals) lies between Spaer Isle, Sharmran Isle, east-end mainland Marsember, and Wrauntwreck Isle, and is linked to all of these places by bridges (two bridges to the mainland, and one span to each of the islands). The Barrelstone Inn (DUNGEON map feature #32) stands on Old Arn, though not where indicated on the published map (see my earlier post). Old Arn is where many harbor businesses, hiring offices, and dockworkers' abodes are located. It's named for ‘Old' Dathmur Arnagus, a stonemason and quarry-owner whose workers built many harbor buildings and island-shore harbor wharves several centuries ago.

15. Spraystone Isle is the southeasternmost island of Marsember, and is linked by twin spans to both Aertoprann's Isle to the west and Wrauntwreck Isle to the north. The busiest wharves and ‘offload' warehouses are now located here, and ever-larger cranes are rising on the island. Formerly a pirate haunt of linked, labyrinthine warehouses, drinking-dens and hideyholes, it was scoured clean by a disastrous fire caused by a spell-duel between wizards whose names are now forgotten or disputed, that befell several decades ago. Spraystone is named for the almost constant spray of waves breaking on its jagged natural palisades of rocks that presided here until the workers commanded by Arnagus rebuilt this ‘useless' rock into a succession of wharves and dock-basins. Offload warehouses are small, heavily-manned buildings used to store and shelter a cargo that's just been unloaded from a ship, or one that is just about to be loaded onto a ship. Sorting occurs in them, for delivery to larger warehouses elsewhere in Marsember -- and because opportunities for theft (and tax evasion/smuggling) are high, so is security. Some ‘eyes' belong to the warehouse owners, some to rival trade agents, and some to the Crown (various arms of government keep watch over each other as well as over dockside goings-on).

16. Wrauntwreck Isle (just “Wrauntwreck” to most Marsembans, most of the time) is north of both Aertoprann's Isle (to which it is linked by a single bridge) and Spraystone Isle (joined to it by two spans), and southeast of Old Arn Isle (a single bridge links Old Arn with Wrauntwreck). Dominated by warehouses and the offices of cargo trading companies, coopers, and crate-makers, Wrauntwreck's name comes from its tendency, in the days before Marsember's islands were rebuilt into seawalls, docksides, and wharves, to be where all the ‘wash' from shipwrecks ended up ashore. (To some small extent this still holds true, although salvagers in small skiffs and barges swoop VERY swiftly on all visible wreckage.) Among the buildings on Wrauntwreck are The Drowned Sailors Society (club; DUNGEON map feature #30), Monthorhall (mansion of the Monthor noble family, and map feature #31), and Bracegauntlet Gard (fortified mansion of the Bracegauntlet noble family, and map feature #33).

STREET OF MARSEMBER
ASSANDER STREET runs north from a T-junction with another street near the south end of Harmuth Isle, and proceeds via bridges north across Antanmaran's Isle to the mainland city, where it crosses Calathanter Street and curves northwest to a city walltower and then southwest again to end in a moot with Calathanter Street.

CALATHANTER STREET runs east from the northern arch of the western gate of Marsember to meet with the end of Assander Street (see above) and then run on east clear across the city to enter the naval base through its northernmost gate, and end in a moot with the Dockmarch there.

CHANCEVER STREET begins in a moot with Calathanter Street that's between Calathanter's two meetings with Assander Street. It curves northeast to run along the city wall, where Stormhold (the home of Filfaeril Stormbillow, sorceress and seller of magic items and potions; see my first post for the correct location of this building, which is DUNGEON map feature #14) fronts on it. Chancever then curves southeast across Calathanter, passes along the south walls of Haelithtorntowers, the walled estate of Lady Joysil Ambrur and DUNGEON map feature #16) and is carried onto Old Arn Isle by the more westerly of the two northshore bridges of that island. It then runs east along the spine of Old Arn, to end in a moot with Varanth Lane.

DAUNSUL STREET begins in a moot with Chancever Street just west of Stormhold (see above), and runs south and east to reach Nornsar Isle via a bridge, and there end in a moot with Hammarhantus Lane.

DOCKMARCH (almost always “The Dockmarch” to Marsembans) is the cobbled street that runs from The Harbortower (DUNGEON map feature #36) all around the docks of the naval base, to end near the tip of Watchfire Point (the most southerly cape or spit of the naval base, east of Wrauntwreck Isle).

FENDROL'S WAY enters Marsember via the southern arch of the city's western gate, and runs east and south to cross (via bridges, of course) Harmuth Isle, West Darnmist, and East Darnmist, before ending in a moot with another street on Stormrock Isle, at the front gates of Iyrinthorn (the city villa of the Illance noble family, and DUNGEON map feature #22).

GELGULD LANE exits the naval base through the southernmost of its two gates and parallels the mainland city shore to a moot with Tarnsar Lane right outside the front doors of Felgontar's Firehelm (large, popular, and respectable dining-house, and DUNGEON map feature #11).

HAMMARHANTUS LANE begins in a streetmoot at the center of Baerouth's Isle, and takes a bridge north to Nornsar Isle, where it meets with the southern end of Daunsul Street ere continuing east via a bridge to cross Gauntan Isle and take another bridge on east to Sharmran Isle, and from there northeast via yet another bridge to Old Arn Isle, where it ends in a moot with Chancever Street.

TARNSAR LANE begins at a city walltower due north of the smithy belonging to Uorn Hallowhand, Armorer, Chainmaker, and Weaponsmith (mistakenly marked #13 on the DUNGEON map; see my first post about Marsember), and runs east and south to cross Calathanter Street and turn south to a moot with Gelguld Lane by Felgontar's Firehelm (large, popular, and respectable dining-house, and DUNGEON map feature #11), and on southeast from there via a bridge to Gauntan Isle, to end there in a moot with Hammarhantus Lane hard by Morningmist Hall (the city's temple of Lathander, and DUNGEON map feature #12).

THELVARSPIKE LANE begins at the front doors of Luckfist Hall (Marsember's shrine to Tymora, and DUNGEON map feature #20), and runs south across Calathanter Street to curve southeast and then south again, and end in a moot with Gelguld Lane.

VARANTH LANE begins in a moot with Gelguld Lane just west of the southernmost gate of the naval base, and takes a bridge south and east to Old Arn Isle, where it meets the eastern end of Chancever Street and continues south via another bridge to Wrauntwreck Isle, where it curves southeast and then back southwest in a great arc around Bracegauntlet Gard (fortified mansion of the Bracegauntlet noble family, and DUNGEON map feature #33) to cross onto Aertoprann's Isle, where it promptly ends in a streetmoot.

THE LIGHTLESS LAMP has recently become an important meeting-place and reference point for Marsembans, and features in the action in ELMINSTER'S DAUGHTER. It's nothing more than a broken street-lamp on Thelvarspike Lane (which remains unfixed for reasons too complicated to delve into here), and is located at a point on Thelvarspike that can be readily found on the superbly-drawn DUNGEON map by counting buildings up the west side of Thelvarspike from its end-moot with Gelguld Lane. A building stands on the northwest corner of that moot, and another building abuts it to the north. Then there's a little space before one reaches a large and oddly-shaped warehouse, that's been extended to join another large warehouse to the southwest. Continuing past the warehouse up Thelvarspike, one next comes to a much smaller, almost square building standing alone -- which is the site of the Lightless Lamp.

Primary PC: Vohrigg Cragstomper ~ Rock-climbing Spelunker of High Home http://pinterest.com/pin/229965124694678786/
Secondary PC: Nicobus Trask - Private Investigator of Silverymoon http://workerslawwatch.com/wp-content/u ... igator.jpg

NWN1 PC: Corgrym Aerthen: Warrior-Priest of Chauntea & White Chalk Village Militia Leader in Daggerdale