Druid/rangers of melikki

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
klandearlas
Shambling Zombie

Druid/rangers of melikki

Post by klandearlas »

Hiya all

I know druids can't wear metal armor but in the frc it says ranger/druids of mielikki can wear metal as far as a ranger can. Just wondering about the light armor of chain shirt or is this still considered a no no under alfa ruling?
Current PC: Ahmaego Hammerstriker, Shield Dwarf cleric of Clangeddin

Dead PCs: Several. Not to mention Taeros Moonstar. Killed by a Wolverine on BG. Avoid those little buggers at all costs!
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Re: Druid/rangers of melikki

Post by t-ice »

One of the "ALFA tips" on the loading screens states that this exception isn't included at ALFA. Guess it's out of a fear that otherwise druids of Mielikki would be too over-represented among our PCs.

And perhaps such might also set a precedent for all "a little flavorful extra perk" abilities for this and that class/race/god/faction/etc ; picked and chosen from the wealth of FR works. In my experience of it, it seems DnD has a habit of needing to represent every flavor with a mechanical +1 here or there. (And yes, usually a +1, not a -1.) Which is not necessary at all for the RP.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Weird history here:

Core, Non-FR PnP Druid:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/classes/druid.htm

Druids are proficient with light and medium armor but are prohibited from wearing metal armor; thus, they may wear only padded, leather, or hide armor. (A druid may also wear wooden armor that has been altered by the ironwood spell so that it functions as though it were steel. See the ironwood spell description) Druids are proficient with shields (except tower shields) but must use only wooden ones.

A druid who wears prohibited armor or carries a prohibited shield is unable to cast druid spells or use any of her supernatural or spell-like class abilities while doing so and for 24 hours thereafter.

OK, the SRD core druid can't even wear Studded Leather, funny eh? Some places out in the wild and wooly internet, it is explained (or theorized) that studded leather isn't just a set of leather armor with funky little buttons on it, those buttons actually attach to something beneath the visible leather, and that's little squares and whatnot of metal, essentially this is brigandine armor. Looks leathery, has a lot of little metal studs apparent on it, but poke it and find out "there be metal in here, lots of it." Think modern flak jacket, they sure do look like bulky fabric things, but sandwiched within are lots of plates of "something", kevlar, weird composites, I suppose metal in some older stuff, don't know.

Anyhow, over to Forgotten Realms, yeah, there is that loophole for Mielikki folks. So PnP FR = go for it.

Over then to ALFA, transition screen load tips tell me constantly that "yeah yeah, PnP Mielikki druids can wear metal, not permitted in ALFA." Running searches of the forums I can occasionally come across a reference to this "metal armor flexibility" being revoked, but I can't locate precisely when, or why. I do not recall what rule we had in NWN1 either, or if maybe "freedom in NWN1 was abused" or something. Routinely you'd have DMs granting requests for full plate druids anyhow, with "uh, your armor is made of wood... and uh, it's also 50% weight because I say so", which caused a lot more discipline on special materials this time around, but that's a separate point.

So yeah, the metal armor thing in ALFA seems to have been decided, I am not sure why.

On the plus side though, no one seems to obey or enforce the "no studded" thing from the SRD in ALFA, choice of gods completely aside? Either due to not knowing that's in the SRD, or saying to themselves "leather, good enough!"

Remember that the druid spell list has a lot of excellent Natural Armor spells that other classes lack, plus the shapeshifting business which makes armor less and less useful (but the Natural Armor buffs extremely useful), so I can at least see "some" reasons for the balancing in SRD version at least, still a little scratching my head over the "free pass" from FR not being any good for Mielikki sorts in ALFA.

Those deeply craving higher AC could always pursue stuff like duskwood breastplates or hunting for dragons, really big ones with really useful components for dragoncraft (scales not hides) armor.

EDIT - or could just revisit the rule. Including maybe even "keeping the rule", but having your own self-inflicted penance of no using spells etc. for 24 hours if you cave in to the allure of chain armor for some desperate battles!
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
klandearlas
Shambling Zombie

Post by klandearlas »

That answers that then :)

Thanks guys for your answers..hadnt seen that loadscreen as yet. Was more curious than anything else regarding the metal armor of a chain shirt or any medium armor for that matter regarding a druid ranger of mielikki. Duskwood breastplate sounds interesting though and very much doubt I am anywhere near tough enough hunting for dragon scales :D

Thanks again
Current PC: Ahmaego Hammerstriker, Shield Dwarf cleric of Clangeddin

Dead PCs: Several. Not to mention Taeros Moonstar. Killed by a Wolverine on BG. Avoid those little buggers at all costs!