Dwarven Monks

If you have questions regarding Forgotten Realms or ALFA Canon, ask our experts here.
Scorpion Ninja
Shambling Zombie

Dwarven Monks

Post by Scorpion Ninja »

Hi,
Are there any Dwarven Monk orders?
If yes which deities do they serve?
Thanks
SN
Current Personna: None

Deceased: Tharag Moonfury, Monk of the Yellow Rose :ninja:
,Krale Blackraven, Cleric of Siamorphe.
Alon Nighthope, Monk of the Old Order.

Gamespy ID: Asgard The Daywalker

"A secret isn't a secret if you tell anyone"
Khelben "Blackstaff" Arunsun
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

Deity: Gond – Monkanicle (LN)

- This order not only keeps records of all new inventions but designs and builds mechanical marvels of their own as well.
- Can multiclass as an Artificer (can be human or dwarf as well just change the name), and or Techsmith. Monk levels must always be higher. Can use Monk levels as caster level to create mechanical items. For example taking the Craft Wondrous Item feat you can craft wondrous mechanical items.

saw this one on canldekeep
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I couldn't find specifics about classes for the Order of the Crescent Moon. Members of this order exonerate Selune and Clangeddin. Both of these deities claim Monks among their worshippers, and to my knowledge, Clangeddin is the only dwarven deity who has them listed.

Candlekeep lists the Silver Monks as being an order of dwarven monks at this link:
http://www.candlekeep.com/library/articles/monks.htm
I'm not sure that they are a canon order though as I couldn't find any other info about them.

There are numerous other orders for other dwarven deities, but I'd venture that any monk order (if they even exist) would fall under the domains of Clangeddin.

Edit:
Your best bet may be to just have a dwarf PC who is in one of the generic monk orders.
Booch
Kobold Footpad

Post by Booch »

Because of the lawful nature of the majority of the Morndisamman there are a couple different patrons that a monk could serve. From the Silver Marches book there is the Hammers of Moradin I believe which is made up of monks, clerics and paladins of Moradin.

Other then that, if you look through Faiths and Pantheons you will find a great amount of information about the Dwarven deities that will help you develop your own dogma for a monk.
Scorpion Ninja
Shambling Zombie

Post by Scorpion Ninja »

Does Dumathoin have Monks?

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Scorpion Ninja wrote:Does Dumathoin have Monks?
Highly unlikely.

If you don't have F&P, Booch and I updated the dwarf entries for ALFA:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/docs/Player ... pPantheons

The dwarf deities who I think are most likely to have an order of monks would be:

Clangeddin
Moradin
Dugmaren
Berronar
Gorm

In that order. Maybe you could be more specific... What are you looking for, or trying to make (in detail)?
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I've been reading through the description of the Monk class and it seems like Dwarf monks probably do not exist:
The monk tradition is alien to dwarf and gnome culture...
Anyways, I'll post more after I have a better idea of what you are after. It seems to me that a dwarven monk order probably doesn't exist(I couldn't find one), and that they are unlikely to ever be created. Given the nature of dwarven culture, the number of dwarves who actually join a monastic order can probably be counted on one hand. Who knows though, this is all fantasy :wink:
Scorpion Ninja
Shambling Zombie

Post by Scorpion Ninja »

HEEGZ wrote:I've been reading through the description of the Monk class and it seems like Dwarf monks probably do not exist:
The monk tradition is alien to dwarf and gnome culture...
Anyways, I'll post more after I have a better idea of what you are after. It seems to me that a dwarven monk order probably doesn't exist(I couldn't find one), and that they are unlikely to ever be created. Given the nature of dwarven culture, the number of dwarves who actually join a monastic order can probably be counted on one hand. Who knows though, this is all fantasy :wink:
I was thinking about a LN Gold Dwarf Monk from the Great Rift.
The reason I like a dwarf monk is because it is unusual.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Hmm, well a dwarf from the great rift would be fun, but I don't think the monk classes is that suitable for a dwarf in the Realms. Maybe talk to a DM on a server where you plan to play him. Not sure if ALFA is the best place to play a dwarf monk because I'm not sure that they even exist. So, best bet would be to clear with a DM first. Maybe someone else knows more about them, but I've not been able to find anything else.
Scorpion Ninja
Shambling Zombie

Post by Scorpion Ninja »

HEEGZ wrote:Hmm, well a dwarf from the great rift would be fun, but I don't think the monk classes is that suitable for a dwarf in the Realms. Maybe talk to a DM on a server where you plan to play him. Not sure if ALFA is the best place to play a dwarf monk because I'm not sure that they even exist. So, best bet would be to clear with a DM first. Maybe someone else knows more about them, but I've not been able to find anything else.
ok but in the single player game of NWN 2 the dwarf Khelgar wants to be a Monk of Tyr.

HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Yeah, i've not played NWN2, not sure what is canon in that, heh. I edited one of my posts earlier and you might have missed it:
HEEGZ wrote:Edit:
Your best bet may be to just have a dwarf PC who is in one of the generic monk orders.
However I'd still check with your DM team. Myself, I wouldn't bother with a dwarf monk because I don't think they fit really. Kinda like tieflings and paladins :wink:
Mayhem
Otyugh

Post by Mayhem »

Heh. So unusual that the NPC companion dwarves in both NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC are dwarves, IIRC.
*** ANON: has joined #channel
ANON: Mod you have to be one of the dumbest f**ks ive ever met
MOD: hows that ?
ANON: read what I said
ANON: You feel you can ban someone on a whim
MOD: i can, watch this
ANON: its so stupid how much power you think you have
Grand Fromage
Goon Spy

Post by Grand Fromage »

HEEGZ wrote:Not sure if ALFA is the best place to play a dwarf monk because I'm not sure that they even exist.
They're rare, but they do exist. There is a military/religious order called the Hammers of Moradin at Citadel Adbar, and they have some monks. There are probably others but I've never seen them.
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

Not my fault if I didn't play the OC in either... Anyways, I would be really interested to see a dwarven monk order, I just haven't been able to find one. I think there is enough info you could create your own, but there seems to be a total dearth of info on dwarven monks.
psycho_leo
Rust Monster

Post by psycho_leo »

Mayhem wrote:Heh. So unusual that the NPC companion dwarves in both NWN1 OC and NWN2 OC are dwarves, IIRC.
There was one in NWN and you can have one in NWN2, but they were not part of a dwarven monastic order. They were just that, dwarven monks. Dwarven monks are unusual, but they can join monastic orders if they so wish.
Current PC: Gareth Darkriver, errant knight of Kelemvor
Se'rie Arnimane: Time is of the essence!
Nawiel Di'malie: Shush! we're celebrating!