Weapon finesse and Melee touch attack spells

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

orangetree
Dungeon Master

Weapon finesse and Melee touch attack spells

Post by orangetree »

Hello, I know the core NWN2 game does not provide a bonus for Melee touch attacks when the feat Weapon finesse is in play. I am aware though that 'most' pnp use it, though I'm not 100% sure it's allowed in the rules. I think it is allowed in 3.5 rules.

Is the bonus granted in alfa with this feat?
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: Weapon finesse and Melee touch attack spells

Post by Zelknolf »

The bonus is not granted, and the nature of NWN2's spell implementations means that it's unlikely to be implemented (marginal gain for significant work).

// edit-- actually, might be doable cheaply. There probably wouldn't be performance problems to a mass find and replace on TouchAttackMelee the way there was with GetCasterLevel-- super unlikely to be called in loops and such. Requires some looking into.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

I guess the question is, 'should' it be done? :)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

That's not a simple thing to answer.

Touch attacks are of course unarmed, and are therefore always light weapons. Thus, weapon finesse is not living up to its claims. Given infinite time (and thus no need to consider what things aren't being done) sure. In the real world, though, it would depend on how hard it looks like it'll be when I get to looking at it.

I won't be dropping infestations or quest arcs to do it, though, so at the very least "not right now."
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Completely agree.

I just found it interesting that this rule is so ambigious for Melee touch attacks. It was clarified in 3.5 in some compendium but it's still a weird one to see something glaringly undefined in the core rules.

I guess we'll just have to accept the IC reality that magic is not a physical waepon and thus can not have weapon finesse.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Bit of a shame that things like touch spells can't be held. Miss with the finger poke and its gone whereas in 3.5 you can keep on poking until it goes off...

Is it getting hot in here?
12.August.2015: Never forget.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Well,
If you touch anything or anyone while holding a charge, even unintentionally, the spell discharges.
would require hooking every event NWN2 provides, seeing if a character is involved, seeing if a touch attack charge is held, and then discharging said charge on the calling object if so. Seems like a lot of fuss for attacks that are relatively unlikely to miss.
orangetree
Dungeon Master

Post by orangetree »

Can I use this as a tactic by summoning little furry creatures hitting the mage on the head every time he tries such a spell? :)
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

orangetree wrote:Can I use this as a tactic by summoning little furry creatures hitting the mage on the head every time he tries such a spell? :)
In both ALFA and PnP, you're probably better off just trying to disrupt the spellcaster while they're casting the spell. Whatever thing touches a held charge has to suffer the effects of that held charge (which is usually bad, unless you're stealing a heal, but that's pretty circumstantial).

In PnP, readied actions are the tool of choice. In ALFA, real-time combat makes it very difficult for spellcasters to disengage from a melee attacker.
shad0wfax
DM Admin

Post by shad0wfax »

In PnP melee touch attacks do benefit from weapon finesse, and the DEX modifier replaces the STR modifier for melee touch spells if one has the weapon finesse feat.
Ranged touch attacks already use the DEX modifier.

If it is something that is easily accomplished, we should consider doing it for d20 rules consistency.