Shadow (+ Wraith) Touch Attack - vfx/sound?

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Shadow (+ Wraith) Touch Attack - vfx/sound?

Post by Brokenbone »

The zspawn shadows work beautifully as far as I'm concerned, but no particular "warning" is given that their touch attacks do anything. Like a red flash of light or a "drainy" tone like some mean spells or other... Enervation for instance. Just eventually you get a message of "You're encumbered" and may realize your strength is getting shredded. Usually you'd not be taking up screen real estate with your character sheet open either.

Could some kind of vfx get added to at least set of some alarm bells something bad is happening? Yes, people get a clue from a mini icon by portrait that one of their stats is getting messed with, but not by how much. Vfx are probably easier than giving additional feedback like "{Shadow} drained 2 points of Strength!", "{Shadow} drained 6 points of Strength!" and the like. PnP people may instantly realize "shadows drain STR, wraiths drain CON", but not everyone comes from those roots.

Since these guys don't actually do hp damage, may be a rude awakening to be unconcerned then all of a sudden very concerned, or, y'know, in the bleedout zone.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Lucifer
Gelatinous Cube

Re: Shadow (+ Wraith) Touch Attack - vfx/sound?

Post by Lucifer »

+1 to what BB said..I don't always notice such things because I played PnP for so many years I'm used to DM feedback vs watching a screen and also..I'm blind in one eye literally and often on a 23" widescreen monitor will miss things going on at the edge of the screen/in a chat window only ect. so any audio/visual effects help me and I would hope help many others
FoamBats4All
Githyanki

Post by FoamBats4All »

I've added a bit of visual feedback to the touch attacks for ACR v1.90. Should apply to both wraiths and shadows.
Brokenbone
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Brokenbone »

Nifty. Chaos of combat, plus "not losing any hp", something nasty looking/sounding to alert you of a problem never hurts. Thanks.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

FoamBats4All wrote:I've added a bit of visual feedback to the touch attacks for ACR v1.90. Should apply to both wraiths and shadows.
Thanks Foam. Speaking from experience... it was much needed and will help.
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
Castano
Head Dungeon Master

Post by Castano »

nice one...my PC's home is surrounded by the things...
On playing together: http://www.giantitp.com/articles/tll307 ... 6efFP.html
Useful resource: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Main_Page

On bad governance: "I intend to bring democracy to this nation, and if anybody stands in my way I will crush him and his family."
You're All a Bunch of Damn Hippies