Combat Expertise issue?

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Combat Expertise issue?

Post by ElCadaver »

Kind of a big one.

While fighting 3 opponents with combat expertiese up at +5/-5, I switch opponents, and my combat expertiese was turned off by the script. I had not tried to use a potion or anything like that. Long story short, as soon as my CE dropped, I was bashed sensless on the ground with 3 big hits, which would not have happened with CE up, based on the rolls (as I was tanking while my comrades did damage). If not for a quick thinking party member I would have been dead.

I realise that CE cannot be up for potion use or spells, but I assume you can fight with expertiese in a group, regardless of whom you are trying to hit?

Bug or intentional? It's totally nerfed my character if it is intentional.
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Re: Bug Thread

Post by t-ice »

ElCadaver wrote: I realise that CE cannot be up for potion use or spells, but I assume you can fight with expertiese in a group, regardless of whom you are trying to hit?

Bug or intentional? It's totally nerfed my character if it is intentional.
You should be able to switch targets if you don't move. (By the rules, dunno about the script) Differentiating between full attacks, single attacks+moves and full move (=run) is where the bewilderement begins. You should be able to take a move plus attack while fighting defensively, but not to run.

As far as PC concepts, tank based on CE should certainly not be as impregnable as the stock NWN2 is. That extra AC should be more circumstacial, and it seems the new system does take us well into that direction.

If anything, I'd suggest moving not dropping the CE, but to have the CE mode force you to walk. Just like stealth and track. (Walk = move action and CE ok long as you also fight melee, Run = full action and no to CE)

Btw. my PC has CE as well, and he can only do upto +3AC/-3AB, as old NWN2 limits. Is +/-3 and +/-6 the intended limits for CE and ICE, or should we now have upto +/-5 and +/-10? (For what it's worth, I think +/-3 is well enough, the AI cannot respond to this increase in AC and switch tactics like it should, anyway, so +5 is too unbalancing.)

Oh, and the place for this oughta not be at MS specific bugs, I suppose...
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

I was fighting large enemies (Firbolgs). Could it be possible that the system counts switching between enemies that take up more than the normal space a move. I can;t see any logical reason for what happened, other than this scenario not liking the scripting very much.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Questions related to CE or ICE should be directed to the ACR team, aka Zelknolf. She may ask you to file a new ticket here: http://www.alandfaraway.org/node/add/support-ticket

Or you may want to ask her in chat before doing so :)