Identifying Warlock magic...cencensus is reached.

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Identifying Warlock magic...cencensus is reached.

Post by johnlewismcleod »

After extensive debate by DM's and staff we have reached a concensus on how Warlock magic may be ID'ed ingame.

This posting is not meant to open a new debate on the subject, but merely to inform players what the DM's have agreed is appropriate for this very sensitive subject.
Warlock magic can be ID'ed if the casting is witnessed by another PC or NPC who successfully makes a spellcheck vs 15 + warlock spell level.

What the PC or NPC may learn of this successful ID is only the basic knowledge of what the spell is. and that it was cast by a warlock.

Any additional insight into the warlock class would require ranks in arcana + rolls or personal knowledge by the ID'ing PC or NPC gained IC.

An unmodified Eldritch Blast is treated as a level 1 spell regardless of what level the warlock is that is casting it.
This does not imply that all DM's are of one mind on what consequences would be for any given warlock should they be ID'ed, or that PC's are expected to react in any predetermined way.

DM's each have their own perspective on appropriate reactions of various NPC's, and PC's each have their own personal views.

This is merely a statement of what is expected to complete an IC ID.

Please do not assume the game engine is capable of handling IC ID's automatically...it isn't.

Die rolls and personal observation are required.
Last edited by johnlewismcleod on Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:03 am, edited 4 times in total.
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Re: Identifying Warlock magic...cencensus is reached.

Post by Blindhamsterman »

just FYI... this probably belongs in 'Core Rules'
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by Zelknolf »

Well, it's not a perfect fit in Core Rules, but it's a better fit than Standards (which exists primarily to make recommendations to the DMA-- but there's no recommendation being made with said post.) I guess if Hial or Curm disagrees, they can throw it back or someplace better.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Post by johnlewismcleod »

Please feel free to move it to the best spot...preferably where it cannot generate a new and unnecessary debate ;)
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor