practiced spell caster exploit

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

DMyles
Dire Badger

practiced spell caster exploit

Post by DMyles »

Practiced spell caster can be exploited in the following way. A pc with a prc that contains full casting can take practiced spell caster to bump his casting level beyond his number of hit dice.

For example a wizard 6/arcane scholar of candlekeep 4 can take practiced spell caster and bump his casting level from 10 to 14. This would be one of the best tricks in the game if legal but seems like an exploit to me.
"As the fletcher whittles and makes straight his arrows, so the master directs his straying thoughts."
-The Buddha
t-ice
Dungeon Master

Re: practiced spell caster exploit

Post by t-ice »

Is this truly for real :eek:
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

Yeah. I wasn't aware people didn't know this; it's an old bug. The game has a few more "cheats" like this: for instance Monks who both dual-wield and flurry get an extra attack and Arcane PrCs give Spirit Shamans extra spell levels.
boombrakh
Githyanki

Post by boombrakh »

hollyfant wrote:Yeah. I wasn't aware people didn't know this; it's an old bug. The game has a few more "cheats" like this: for instance Monks who both dual-wield and flurry get an extra attack and Arcane PrCs give Spirit Shamans extra spell levels.
Dammit, now that I know this, I cant make my Monk/Spirit Shaman/bard/arcane scholar :evil:
pragmatic (adj.)
The opposite of idealistic is pragmatic, a word that describes a philosophy of "doing what works best."
From Greek pragma "deed," the word has historically described philosophers and politicians who were
concerned more with real-world application of ideas than with abstract notions. A pragmatic person
is sensible, grounded, and practical.
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

For note: Testing has revealed the monk extra attack in a flurry thing is gone.

If you're level 1, dual wielding and flurry of blow..ing...you get 3 total attacks.

MH, OH, Flurry MH.

Not sure when they fixed it, but the wiki is outdated on it.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

as we don't have any red wizards or whatever, I guess this is kinda moot. I suppose we can just ban using that feat with the PrC?
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

I'm assuming this hasn't been fixed, and have been dredging through the nwn2 files looking for the feat script. (so i can see if i can bodge a fix)

Can't find it!

Would somone be able to (please) either

tell me it is fixed, so i can reselect my feats on my shiny new pc.

or

Point me in the right direction of the (no doubt very obvious) practised spellcaster scripts, so i can poke them a stick.
12.August.2015: Never forget.
ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

This all comes down to what I've said before, and I'll say it again....

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Practiced Spellcaster is not implemented in nwscript, so its nothing we can modify. I did create a function which computes caster level properly. It is located in acr_spells_i.nss, but is not yet called by our spell scripts.

Off the top of my head, there are 3 active PCs (including my own) who receive a +1 CL from this bug. I don't believe any receive more than that, though obviously it is possible.

In the case of Arcane Tricksters, the class is missing a key 3.5 feature: sneak attacks on touch spells. Adding SAs to spells will probably come at the same time as a Practiced Spellcaster fix, since both fixes need similar work done (many spell scripts changed). So I don't see this as a major problem. In most cases the extra +1 CL does not translate into more damage (due to damage caps on most spells), but instead more duration.

The big danger is someone taking the feat with classes and a PrC that grant full CL progression, such as Arcane Scholar, Red Wizard, Doomguide, etc.

Or in other words Rumple, I don't think taking Practiced Spellcaster is considered an exploit in the "banned!" sense. By the time you make a PrC, it may be fixed anyway. I'd go ahead and take the feat; we can always remove it later if really necessary.
Rumple C
Bard

Post by Rumple C »

Ah, great. Thanks.
12.August.2015: Never forget.