Stacking: Mage armor and regular armor

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Stacking: Mage armor and regular armor

Post by Riotnrrd »

I understand mage armor and regular armor stacks (never tried it in game).

NWN1 had non-stacking fixes. Is NWN2 running the same antistacking code, if not, can we test / add it?
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Re: Stacking: Mage armor and regular armor

Post by Blindhamsterman »

it still stacked up until the latest hak updated, where I *think* AL added in Zelknolfs fix for this.

p.s. I believe it DOES now stack with +1 enchantments etc
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

the Mage Armor fix didn't make it into last hak update. Ought to be able to get it in with the next one though, which shouldn't be too far off, since we've got a growing list of things to roll in with it.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

NWN1 had very buggy non-stacking fixes. BHM and I have tested an actual fix, that complies with PnP rules; no reason for it to not go into the next hak update. If something horrible happens to me before I get myself set up properly on Github, it's on the techFTP.
paazin
Fionn In Disguise

Post by paazin »

Riotnrrd wrote:I understand mage armor and regular armor stacks (never tried it in game).

NWN1 had non-stacking fixes. Is NWN2 running the same antistacking code, if not, can we test / add it?
This means if you put on padded cloth and then cast mage armour, it's +4 AC total, correct?
People talk of bestial cruelty, but that's a great injustice and insult to the beasts; a beast can never be so cruel as man, so artistically cruel.
SwordSaintMusashi
Mook

Post by SwordSaintMusashi »

BHM was working on that. Not sure if it was ever completed.
Current PCs:
Zova Earth Breaker, Monk of Rasheman
Alyra Ashedown, Knight Commander of Silverymoon
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

paazin wrote:This means if you put on padded cloth and then cast mage armour, it's +4 AC total, correct?
Today mage's armor adds +4 to your armor class, regardless of what you're wearing. So a sorcerer in studded leather (+3) who casts mage armor (+4) would have a total of +7 to armor class. Or a fighter wizard who casts mage armor, then puts on full plate, would have +12 to AC.
Blindhamsterman
Haste Bear

Post by Blindhamsterman »

SwordSaintMusashi wrote:BHM was working on that. Not sure if it was ever completed.
Nope, Zelknolf made it, and it worked, tested it quite a bit back in November and didn't get any issue.s
Standards Member

Current PC: Elenaril Avae'Kerym of the Lynx Lodge
<Heero>: yeah for every pc ronan has killed dming, paazin has killed 2 with his spawns
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

That is now twice that you've made the exact same mistake, SSM. Shame on you.

The fix applies an armor enhancement bonus that corrects itself on a slow heartbeat in order to make itself behave as an armor bonus, instead of an armor enhancement bonus. So to answer your question, Paazin: yes, like that. Mundane padded + mage armor = 4 AC (4 armor + 1 armor = 4 armor = 4 total AC). Padded armor +1 + mage armor = 5 AC (4 armor + 1 armor + 1 armor enhancement = 4 armor + 1 armor enhancement = 5 total AC). It's written; it's tested; the only person who objected to its implementation was actually casting mage armor, putting on full plate, and insisting that it wasn't any kind of exploitative behavior. Nothing more to do but wait for the next hak update.