General Bug Reports

Scripted ALFA systems & related tech discussions (ACR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

General Bug Reports

Post by hollyfant »

===============================================================
/*
As I am the Zelknolf, I am hereby commandeering this thread's initial post. My thanks to Hollyfant for getting things rolling. His post will be missed, but it is a necessary sacrafice.
*/
===============================================================

Open Items:
  • All ability score reductions are treated as ability damage, and heal at the rate of 1 point per rest.
    This breaks in many ways. Looking for someone to adopt this poor defenseless bug. And to knife it and leave it in a gutter somewhere.
    Priority: High
    Owner: None
  • All ability score reductions are treated as ability damage, and heal at the rate of 1 point per rest.
    This breaks in many ways. Looking for someone to adopt this poor defenseless bug. And to knife it and leave it in a gutter somewhere.
    Priority: High
    Owner: None
  • Bard song is relatively inflexible in determining which particular skill a bard is using for the sake of the song at that moment. Ideally, we'd change this to check circumstances, and check which perform skills could be used for the particular song and then see which ones are properly reflected by equipment-- vs. selecting a primary skill at adaptation and defaulting to checking it.
    Priority is based on the current system seeming to "bug" specific bards, and requiring a workaround or a manual edit to restore functionality.
    Priority: Medium
  • Skill focus does not have options for those skills which have been divided into their subskills (Perform, Knowledge).
  • Laduguer and Deep Duerra are not marked as Ranger-appropriate deities.
    Simple 2da edit, and restricting of character concepts. This one has probably only been unfixed due to being buried in the initial flood.
  • The description of the Search skill mentions that Dwarves get a +2 bonus to their Search checks. They don't, or if they do they shouldn't.
    While we're technically not doing anything wrong mechanically here, we probably should try to give our players good information.
  • See Invis is inferior to Blindsight
    Technically a rules "change," but an easier one to convince needed admin the value of.
    Priority: Medium (pending approval)
  • Small races with Weapon Proficiency (Martial) but without Weapon Proficiency (Exotic) can still wield Bastard Swords.
    The core rules are unclear about this, as they don't anticipate NWN2's system of weapon sizes. If we follow the 3.0 logic of the bastard sword, upon which our weapon sizes are based, small characters should need exotic weapon proficiency or monkey grip to wield a bastard sword.
    Priority: Low
  • Stone body really needs some kind of VFX. Looking like an ordinary person while being made out of living stone just shouldn't fly.
  • Hit point recovery is reduced when resting with constitution drain or damage.
    The use case is pretty uncommon, but Nick has done a lot of the leg work on this one.
  • The dice roller refuses to roll an untrained knowledge skill, instead of capping the result at 10 as per the PnP rules.
    This is a fix in progress, as but it is also not a simple fix. PC Tools are especially sensitive to tampering, and we need to be careful that we don't hamstring the system. Chat dice will likely see a correct implementation first. A workaround exists: roll d20. Ask DMs for understanding.
  • Armour can be equipped and unequipped while resting, making it possible to sleep in Full Plate without a penalty - provided it is taken off the moment before the PC awakes.
    Really, this is just an RP reminder that we put into our scripts. AC is absurdly-low while resting anyway, but this it technically an "exploitable" mechanic-- it's just that the yield is no different from stopping the rest, removing the armor, and then resting. In the interim, we've added an idiot buzzer to the rest starting event, which at least reminds people that they're doing it wrong.
  • Item-based VFXes remain linked to items after they are disabled.
    We don't have a good fix for this, sadly. We might be well-served to put some walkthrough text somewhere, but lack an especially-good place to put said text. You can unlink a VFX from an item by dropping the item and picking it back up.
  • DMFI tools can cause the loss of all DMFI-related data if enough script calls are successfully squeezed into the space between the initial click and the server's response.
    There's a viable workaround, as listed in Cloud's post-- don't click so fast. I know it's not ideal right now, but it's not an easy thing to rework the structure of a tool to assume spamclicking users and high latency.
  • Short spears and short staves have the weights of spears and quarterstaves.
    Just an oversight. But, as BB notes, short folk don't take a carry weight penalty, so this isn't really hurting anyone right now.
  • Spoken messages that use the DMFI VoiceEntry widget are ignored when they start with a full stop; unless the whole message is a full stop, then the PC says "0.000000" in plain text as well as in the other language.
    DMFI language tools are effectively depreciated. They're too buggy and too restricted when compared to chat-entry languages. Theoretically, it would be nice if they worked, but it's also hard to get someone motivated to work on such a thing.
    Priority: Lowest
  • Missing Roof in four-post interior Standard_Tileset tiles.
    This sucks. No indication of if a fix is available to us, though. Priority remains unassigned, pending more information.
    Priority: Unassigned.
Fixed, Not Yet in Production:
  • [The DMFI Target Tool] blocks access to all screen items within the area that would outlined by the Tool with all submenu blocks open. Menus will not capture clicks while collapsed in 1.83-- however, the bottom-most menus seem to demand a lot of real estate, and want your clicks when they're open (so they should be collapsed unless you're actively using them). I could fix that too, but that would also make the UI very sensitive to pointer position, and might end in more deaths by misclick.
  • The Close [x] Button on the tool doesn't close [the DMFI target tool], but sends a popup Server Message. Close button will actually close the GUI in 1.83
Closed Items:
  • The Total Wealth calculation that the Tool does is totally inaccurate.
    Fixed in 1.81. Logging improved in 1.82
  • Can't do targeted dispel on hostile creatures
    Fixed in 1.82
  • PC Tools vanished on TSM and Moonshaes
    Module-level fix: 10/4/2011
  • Gloves erroneously display as unequippable for all players, and don't allow use/day powers
    Mini-update, in 1.82. 10/5/2011
  • Dimension door lacks icon and VFX
    Technically, this wasn't a problem in 1.82, but our gui hak got a late rollout. 10/5/2011
Discovery Required:
  • There are several buttons that ought to be disabled, including the Initialize Server button.
    Needed from Curmudgeon: A complete list of buttons to be disabled. Message Zelknolf.
  • Portal button does not create a portal where the DM stands. It creates a portal in the middle of the area you are in and on the base level of the area.
    Need to know what the use case for this tool is to fix its usability issues.
  • Creature model changer has several models that "reflect" on to other NPS or jag off in weird ways.
    Need to know the specific models.

Explanations:
Hollyfant says: "The system measures time as days between rests, instead of by the clock."
Explanation: It is by design that resting and spell recovery is managed by in-character time passed between log off and log on. While it is often the case that 2 hours and 48 minutes translates to a rest, normal interaction with the game servers-- which can include lag, pauses, downtime, and attempts to synchronize with other servers-- might adjust this time.
Brokenbone says: "Skywing is powerful."
Explanation: Yes, it is. It's on you good roleplayers out there to not use this information to metagame.
Mick says: "I have noticed that if I log in with armor and gloves worn but then take them off, the armor bonuses and beneficial effects of the gloves persist for the rest of the session."
Explanation: We don't have the best data about why this is or how it actually manifests to the game engine right now, so this might be the sort of thing that we'd be waiting on a server rewrite's completion for (if the time line on Gem reflects what we can expect with Aurora, that'll still be a few years away. I know that Skywing has a pretty impressive start on rewriting nwn2server, but its power currently is such that it would only really serve as a lean triage server, if we were to rework our infrastructure into a vast series of minimodules.)
NES Says: "Polymorph does a pretty crappy job of handling equipment bonuses."
Explanation: Sadly, polymorph and shape-changing spells are largely out of our hands as tech people. We get a few toggle switches in the associated 2da, but the fine details would require a rather impressive (and not necessarily stabile) workaround. As it is, the toggles are set pretty close to "as good as we can reasonbly do," though we do acknowledge that there are still shortcomings there.
Multiple People say: "I'm not getting a bonus to knowledge / tumble / use magic device / another skill that requires training."
Explanation: The skill requires training. Unless you invest at least one rank in the skill, your modifier will be unaffected by items.
Hollyfant says: "People who take constitution damage from disease can still heal hit points."
Explanation: ... yes?
Hollyfant says: "And they don't die when their constitution scores reach 0."
Explanation: Well, that part's out of our hands. Poison and disease, once they're turned into effects, are generally inaccessible in their processing of effects. While it's possible to produce a workaround (I've done so before, when attempting to make a gritty low fantasy world), it's something that really works better when it's done early in the game. Maybe someone will get excited about the notion and write something, but it will require that to make it happen.
Multiple People say: "Sometimes, I walk, spin in place, back up, shift quickbars instead of using a quickslot, or lose my GUI."
Explanation: If you press a key between the instant that you press enter to open the chat entry window and when the chat entry window successfully moves focus into the chat box, the key that you pressed will be treated as held down by the game engine. Press the key again, or press the grave key twice.
Blindhamster says: "Temporary hit points can be healed."
And provides example: "Bob the wounded wizard (on 17/54hp) casts vampiric touch, doing 20 damage, goes up to 37hp. He then gets lesser vigored and goes all the way up to 74hp!!"
Explanation: Bob the Wounded Wizard doesn't actually have 37 hit points; he has 17 hit points and 20 temporary hit points. As he has 17 real hit points, he is capable of being healed by up to 37 hit points through normal healing magic, as that's how many "real" hit points he's missing. The temporary hit points don't figure into that calculation at all, because they're fake. They float out in quasi-HP space until such time as the duration on the spell that provides them expires or Bob takes enough damage to exhaust the temporary hit points (which are lost first).
Brokenbone asks: "How do you spend feats on shortstaves and short spears?"
Answer: You put feats in spear and quarterstaff.
Zelknolf
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Re: General Bug Reports

Post by Zelknolf »

In response to the artistic feat, a thread has been started to get a sense of views on the feat, and see if complications with it are thought of. No obvious problems jump to mind for me, but it blurs the line between a bug and a change, so I'd rather give it a chance to be discussed.

Skill focus (perform) and skill focus (lore) are added as medium-priority bugs, caused by the splitting of Perform and Lore into their canonical subskills.

The logic behind determining a bard's primary perform skill is added as a medium-priority bug, reduced from high thanks to Heero's/ Matti's workaround.
Curmudgeon
Gadfly

Post by Curmudgeon »

DMFI Target Tool analysis note sent via PM.
- Curmudgeon
HDM ALFA 03 - The Silver Marches
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Maxim #12: A soft answer turneth away wrath. Once wrath is looking the other way, shoot it in the head." - The Seventy Maxims of Maximally Effective Mercenaries

"This is not my circus. These are not my monkeys."

Realmslore: Daily Dwarf Common
Brokenbone

Post by Brokenbone »

1.83. - are you positive the new Light Shield models made it in? I scrolled all kinds of new cloaks, new heavy shields, but in looking for the newly listed new light shields numbered in the announcement post, I got nothin.' Always possible assloads of new models got DL'd but something awry with a 2da or something to actually be able to scroll through them.

Eminently possible I'm f'ing up somehow as well.
ALFA NWN2 PCs: Rhaggot of the Bruised-Eye, and Bamshogbo
ALFA NWN1 PC: Jacobim Foxmantle
ALFA NWN1 Dead PC: Jon Shieldjack

DMA Staff
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Cloud_Dancing wrote:A tale describing the wild shape crash
This is being moved to ticket #2003
Heero wrote:Drow is Elven (drow), and should be understandable by people who speak elven.
Hollyfant wrote:Dress #110 reminds me of Basic Instinct
Curmudgeon wrote:Treants should be huge
causk
Brown Bear

Post by causk »

Playing a cleric/wiz i discovered something funny going on with trying to restore spell: using the spellbook recovered all but one arcane spell and one divine spell in addition, the reverse is true for using the holy symbol for praying. For full spells you have to both pray and study, which makes this likely not an issue 90% of the time, but maybe this is an indication of soemthing more substantial going wrong. Hopefully this is the right forum for this.
gonz.0
Gelatinous Cube

Post by gonz.0 »

Per Curm, posting this here so that it's seen before the next Hak release...

Between the eastern daylight time of 18:21 and 18:45: (( sorry, combat loging in client extension not actually logging combat I just found out))
In a cave along the sword coast area:

While in a adventure run by Darkmystic, Horatio was put under a confusion effect, and turned on his party. They were forced to drop him.. and then feed potions to revive.

I say potions because it took either 3 or 4 to do so, because he did not stabilize, just kept bleeding out until brought to conscious state.

A) There was no poison effect
b) There was no known environmental effect that was causing the negative effect before the incapacitation or after revival

I believe I remember the same thing happening without confusion effect when I was downed by the umberhulk at 18:20, but that only took two potions, but it did not stick with me as much as the time that I am reporting I was very near dead twice and freaking out a bit as to why I was not stabilizing.

Curm postulated : that it may be script related, thus why to report here.
[10:53] <@Curmudgeon> Ah. The AI scripts don't work on PCs.
[10:56] <@Curmudgeon> Report it now - there is a pending hak release, and if there are misbehaving scripts, now is the time to find them
The real Gonz.0
"Where morality is present, laws are unnecessary. Without morality, laws are unenforceable." -Anonymous

Horatio
http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l157/ ... atio-1.jpg
causk
Brown Bear

Post by causk »

Spell funkiness:
Yesterday 2.7.2012 on Ms i cast a web spell at a group of orcs during a dmed session. Dc 18 worked fine, i accidentally got stuck at the edges of the spell, to improve my chances of getting out i cast conviction at my PC, but it lead to the Dc of the web spell being changed to dc 127. Not sure if this is the right place for this. I have not yet tried to reproduce.
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

Please use the Support Tickets link on the left side of the page to report bugs.
hollyfant
Staff Head on a Pike - Standards

Post by hollyfant »

As this is not a bug but rather the suspicion of a bug, I'll post here.

Is it perhaps so that when a PC upon logging in almost immediately transitions to the travel map from a regular map, no RP XP payout happens?
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

hollyfant wrote:Is it perhaps so that when a PC upon logging in almost immediately transitions to the travel map from a regular map, no RP XP payout happens?
This seems highly unlikely; more likely the XP is given but the client does not receive the message while it is ATing.

However if you provide a date, time and character name, we can double-check the logs.
loulabelle
Proletarian Librarian

Post by loulabelle »

If this is not the right place to report, please let me know or move it, whichever! I recently levelled and took bonus spells lot bard level 1 as my feat. During the levelling process I was able to pick a spell but after it was complete, it never appeared. The feat appears on my character sheet though. I have logged out and in, rested and nothing has given me my extra spell.

Toc [Talk] Ey doc save some thread fer that mouth a hers *winks with a grin*
Zelknolf

Post by Zelknolf »

ACR bugs should go into tickets. Locking this.

Also following up with the specfic issue in non-public space, as meta info is revealed by verifying functionality of the feat.