Base Module

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Base Module

Post by Riotnrrd »

Can we create a vanilla base mod? No extra content or anything, just the basic ACR scripts, etc.

I can help build / maintain it. Marklos wants one for starting TFN, and I could use one for building.
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Re: Base Module

Post by johnlewismcleod »

+1 8)
I seek plunder....and succulent greens

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Retired PC's: Torquil, Gwenevere
Former PC's: Rugo, Flora, Rory Mor
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

The complication is that we've got several different needs; most builders aren't going to need all the scripts in place; in fact when an ALFA module has it's events all properly set and base scripts in place, it requires a properly configured NWNx4 install as well as a configured external or internal MySQL server to be able to join the mod: that's way more work than most builders would need to go through.

That's to get a mod that has all scripts working, which is joinable and testable. (And in which the spawn system functions for testing, etc)

Someone trying to set up an actual Live server would also benefit from a slew of example areas, default quest and convo examples, server portal, start merchant, etc.; which is another lot of work on top of the above.

On the other hand, any module that has the right ALFA haks and tlk associated (or even ones without any of those) can be used to make areas, items, or creatures compatible with incorporation into a Live mod; with a comparatively small effort on the part of the module manager to set up the events/scripts/tags while reviewing the area for incorporation.

If the intent is just to save the mod manager 5-15 min of selecting resources and selecting "Apply Script set", it's easy to import a copy of the area/door/creature/placeable/trigger event scripts; but they won't compile without everything else in place; and they won't be easily to apply unless the builder also either saves their own scriptset XMLs or installs some separately.

Overrides are another headache that require active management of one's files; as they're necessary to lay down custom tiles and terrain from the haks (as well as to see correct pricing in some cases, or to assign ranks in the custom skills to tooled creature blueprints), but can cause problems if one toolsets in or joins mods for another persistent word (or opens non-ALFA modules in the toolset). So, they're best used only temporarily, while actively working on a project that requires those custom resources.

These are the complications. I would like to alter the core scripting to allow a "Full" basemod to work in at least a limited fashion without requiring NWNx4 and MySQL, but it will require some serious adjustments to essential scripts that may require a lot of debugging.

For people who have specific needs, I'm happy to help them to set something up to support their current building investigations. When I head "I need a base mod", it could mean any of the above; some of which are easy, some of which are major endeavors.
Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Sounds good.

What organizational system do we currently have in place? What I imagine, according to my reading of ALs comments above is

1) A base builder module, with haks and TLKs only, to keep size to a minimum
2) A base live module, requiring NWNX and SQL, and all ALFA scripts
3) Essential packages, that can be imported, such as doors, conversations, merchants, creatures, instruments, weapons, armor, and the like, if people want the whole kit and caboodle.

I would like to keep things as small as possible, to avoid server bloat.

In order to accomplish 1 and 2, we will need to define a MINIMUM set of standards that has the MINIMUM amount of content to either build, or create a base live module. For 3, we will need some sort of organizational system, and to define the base packages.

What do you think? PLEASE COMMENT, EVERYONE (current and potential builders, HDMs, etc).
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

Both of posts are "over my head", so that may in itself be a good reason not to deliver a complex mod into my hands :wink: , but...and forgive me if I'm being a pest about this :oops: ...what would very much help me torture more PC's with greater frequency and effectiveness would be the ability to make NPC's WITH compliant gear and skills. Also if I could make small areas WITH ALFA items, placables, etc. (although I've recently been rethinking the latter [I may make a few generic empty areas that aren't labeled or attatched to any given map and customize them IG when needed]).

The need for making compliant, equipped NPC's remains, however.

[Wynna] Chula Lysander: [Talk] *Shakes head* I've been in worse situations. He was just....unjoyful! *stomps foot*

Riotnrrd
DMA's Technical Liaison

Post by Riotnrrd »

Audark has been working on a number of packages such as bows, magical weapons, gnomish items, and the like. What I envision is a 'library', where if you need a package of mundane items... you can download them, and import them into you mod. Or if you need creatures... you can download and import them. But there wouldn't necessarily be everything in every module... that way, people who DONT want them won't have to live with the bloat of unneeded stuff.

When you say compliant gear and skills... are you looking for pre-created NPCs that you can just copy, change the names, and roll? Cause I've made a few of those, that could be part of an NPC 'package', or part of the creature package, if you prefer...
johnlewismcleod
Dungeon Master

We have a fairly extensive list of NPC's IG to pull from for deployment...the problem I experience is that many won't equip what I need them to...i.e: put different clothing/armour on and it won't be visible, or they don't have the feat necessary to equip the item one wishes them to equip.

As a result of this the list of usable NPC's is much more limited than one would think at first glance...and re-deploying the same NPC's over and over with various names challenges the "suspension of disbelief"...not to mention the time consumption of having to customize before deployment.

It also makes initiating a campaign extremely challenging.

I have tried importing ALFA items and creatures into several mini-mods and it doesn't seem to work.

You likely have different needs, Riot...but what this DM needs is a small area with the items, creatures, placeables available so that I could use it to make NPC's I could then import into TSM and have them ready to deploy for questing/campaigning.

I might also want to create one or three small areas preloaded with content, but that is not as pressing as the other use at this point...as I said I'm beginning to think that a few empty areas i.e.: a house or two, a cave, a ruin, a barn....that are not attached to any specific map might be best for me.

I could throw down an exterior placeable when needed and then just port the party into my generic area if they choose to enter.