Mundane Weapons and Armour

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

darrenhfx
Beholder

Mundane Weapons and Armour

Post by darrenhfx »

Is it worth my time to see how far I can get putting together a basic weapons and armour erf that has the proper pricing etc? I was thinking I could make a single model for each type of w&a and maybe increase the variety over time.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

:eek:

Sure would.
Munmun
Dire Badger

Post by Munmun »

Correct pricing would make be extremely happy in the pants.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

There are very few deviations from ALFA prices (PnP*2 for weapons) - Falchion should be 150 not 20, light hammer should be 2 not 20, spear should be 4 not 20 are the only differences to NWN 2 vanilla prices that spring to my mind out of the top of my hat.

So I'm not sure whether a full new weapon list isn't overkill.

On a different but related note, did we get the "masterwork" property added? Or do DMs still have to simulate it?

What I think may be more useful would be a standard set of ALFA magical gear, as the NWN 2 pricing sometimes is grossly off. We can start on a base set I guess, so builders have at least something to start with, indio lost valuable time on TSM when we realised the huge difference. An erf list like that could save future builders that don't have much fun hand-populating every store a good amount of time, and at it could be used by every potential new server, it may be a worthwhile investment of labour.
The power of concealment lies in revelation.
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

I'll see what I can do.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

We could do with a range of properly priced sub-2k magic items: all those little +1 individual save, +1 skill, items that are good loot for lowbies and don't beg immediate customisation/personalisation.
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

Added to the list.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Veilan wrote:There are very few deviations from ALFA prices (PnP*2 for weapons) - Falchion should be 150 not 20, light hammer should be 2 not 20, spear should be 4 not 20 are the only differences to NWN 2 vanilla prices that spring to my mind out of the top of my hat.

So I'm not sure whether a full new weapon list isn't overkill.
Good news.

Darren, if you focus on the sub-2K magic weapons, I'll worry about the non-magical stuff.

What would be great Veilan is a simple list of armor deviations. I'm actually about to check myself, but would appreciate your input.
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

Heh now you tell me. :)

I just finished the first run-through of mundane and masterwork weapons and am taking a coffee break.

I have a question as to how masterwork ammunition should be enhanced, the toolset doesn't allow me to add the attack bonus so the next best option would be a damage bonus, eg. piercing for arrows/bolts.

The other odd case is with thrown weapons, eg throwing axes, darts, etc. I'm not sure what to set their prices at. A throwing axe is listed at 8 gp, so should it go to 308 per axe for masterwork or is it more along the lines of ammunition in that it can't be recovered. It would make sense to have the price lower for items that can't be recovered.

I was going to do a run of +1 magical weapons which can include everything under 2k. Can someone shout out the best ref for magical weapon pricing?
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

indio wrote:What would be great Veilan is a simple list of armor deviations. I'm actually about to check myself, but would appreciate your input.
You mean mundane armours?

I think they are all fine in NWN 2, as they match 3.5, and so do ALFAs. I'm not aware of any exception, anyway.
Veilan
Lead Admin

Post by Veilan »

darrenhfx wrote:I have a question as to how masterwork ammunition should be enhanced, the toolset doesn't allow me to add the attack bonus so the next best option would be a damage bonus, eg. piercing for arrows/bolts.
Huh, so we don't have the MW property as selectable yet? Blast.

Unless Rusty calls bloody murder, just use +1 physical damage (same as the base item's type) for masterwork ammunition, though I'm actually not 100% certain right now whether we have masterwork ammunition - after all, we do have special materials now that can give damage boni to MW weaponry.

I'm beginning to worry though, this may mean masterwork weapons could overcome DR/magic again. :(
darrenhfx wrote:The other odd case is with thrown weapons, eg throwing axes, darts, etc. I'm not sure what to set their prices at. A throwing axe is listed at 8 gp, so should it go to 308 per axe for masterwork or is it more along the lines of ammunition in that it can't be recovered. It would make sense to have the price lower for items that can't be recovered.
We increased the stack size of ammunition from 50 to 100 in NWN 2, effectively halving their costs. So, treat a stack of 100 like the equivalent of one melee weapon for pricing purposes.
darrenhfx wrote:I was going to do a run of +1 magical weapons which can include everything under 2k. Can someone shout out the best ref for magical weapon pricing?
Tough to get a magical weapon under 2k, as +1 enchanted is +2k, on top of the weapon's base cost and masterwork cost of +300. Only way to do it would be with CF weapons (stuff like a sword that is +1 vs. orcs), but that's a bit of a headache to calculate. If you want some examples nevertheless, I'd be glad to help you with it.

I have linked to it in the standards boards, sadly I didn't yet get to finish it, but here's the NWN 2 pricing manual:

http://gserpg.gs.funpic.de/forum/download.php?id=82

If you don't find something you want in it, just use the NWN 1 standards document from the standards boards, or ask, it's our job to help :).
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

For everything except for ammo I can use the Item Property "Attack Bonus +1" but I haven't tested if this beats DR and magic. I haven't tried applying any of the special materials to see what effect they'd have on the item.

Thanks for the suggestions.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

Yup, if you can't manage that for ammo, go with +1 Physical damage for MW eqv.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

darrenhfx wrote:Heh now you tell me. :)

I just finished the first run-through of mundane and masterwork weapons and am taking a coffee break.

I have a question as to how masterwork ammunition should be enhanced, the toolset doesn't allow me to add the attack bonus so the next best option would be a damage bonus, eg. piercing for arrows/bolts.

The other odd case is with thrown weapons, eg throwing axes, darts, etc. I'm not sure what to set their prices at. A throwing axe is listed at 8 gp, so should it go to 308 per axe for masterwork or is it more along the lines of ammunition in that it can't be recovered. It would make sense to have the price lower for items that can't be recovered.

I was going to do a run of +1 magical weapons which can include everything under 2k. Can someone shout out the best ref for magical weapon pricing?
:wink:
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

darrenhfx wrote:The other odd case is with thrown weapons, eg throwing axes, darts, etc. I'm not sure what to set their prices at. A throwing axe is listed at 8 gp, so should it go to 308 per axe for masterwork or is it more along the lines of ammunition in that it can't be recovered. It would make sense to have the price lower for items that can't be recovered.
We increased the stack size of ammunition from 50 to 100 in NWN 2, effectively halving their costs. So, treat a stack of 100 like the equivalent of one melee weapon for pricing purposes.
Just to confirm this, 100 masterwork throwing axes, darts, shuriken, arrows, bolts and bullets should be priced at 301 gp? Man, I can't wait to have a giant slug run down someone carrying 100 axes. :)

I'll upload the mundane and masterwork weapons to Cipher and see what minor magical items I can come up with. Oh yeah and finish that temple.