Masterwork Armour

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Rusty
Retired

Masterwork Armour

Post by Rusty »

Can I get an update on any changes planned for armorrulestats.2da.

I believe that this is the current goal for recreating MW armour.

Also, what is the status of mundane items repriced from OE to 3.5?

Also, what files would any prospective toolsetter need in order to take advantage of any changes we have made.

Thanks
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

The changes to armorrulestats.2da have already been made (some time ago it appears).

Darren's still reviewing the mundane gear items that TT submitted. It's slow and tedious work but it'll be done eventually. He's also adding some weight increments to the 2DA to allow proper weighting of the items.

We've got some "flavor" mundane items that Sheyjin created for us with his creature pack, but none of the standard mundane items have been reworked yet. Our lazy builders are just too busy creating areas it seems. ;)

Toolsetters will need a bunch of 2DAs to get in all the customizations we've introduced. For the time being, it would probably be best for anyone willing to help to just grab all the 2DA files off sourceforge and stick them in their override folders. Unfortunately, 1.05 broke a lot of things that need to be repaired, which Darren is also looking at. If anyone is willing to assist, I'm sure he'd welcome the help.

:dumb:
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Even if we get them all updated to 1.05, will the 2das function in the toolset, just by being in the override folder? (and which override- the docs one, the program files one, or both?)

My limited testing showed many blank or bad strref entries in the toolset at best, due to the problems with reading custom tlk files.

If we can use the 2das for building via overrides, are they going to show up/function in Beta modules without them? To my mind, it seems like we're somewhat caught in a catch-22. Modules need the base resource content, which needs the 2das, but the 2das are needed server-side as well.

I've also read that some 2das don't get read in and used, even when in the override folder (though I think those have to do with tilesets and such so far).

Maybe some of the ABR content needs to be held until we get the 2da/tlk references working? Otherwise we're going to have to go back and repeat all that effort for anything using the custom content (masterwork, special materials, nondetection, currency, scrying, altered caster level/DC/pricing).
[/u]
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Both override folders have worked thus far for me for 2DAs, scripts, and xml files, but I haven't exactly done an exhaustive test. The game doesn't support custom TLKs yet, which explains the bad strrefs, but it's one of the things they've assured will be in...eventually.

Yeah I think we are in a bit of a catch 22, especially with 2DAs. I think we can push back on much of the major work for the time being, which really centers around items, especially while we know patches are coming. That will limit a lot of rework and possibly mitigate some burn out as well. I don't know if any builders will really need anything along these lines until much later in their build phases.

Does anyone feel differently?
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

I think we can probably push some things until after 1.07 or possibly the expansion pack. Certainly we aren't anywhere near Live status yet. If we do some things now, we may end up having to redo them later. Whereas if we wait it might happen that we only need to do them once.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

We were in full build mode for 6 months after the game came out for NWN1, which is where we are about now, then we started 12 months in beta. So let's delay. There's plenty of better things to be doing than working on something now which may need to be redone in 6 months.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

So i was developing up some items (armours/swords etc) but now should stop for the time being?
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

What were you creating, Dorn? Mundane items should be ok to create for the most part. The base prices on a few item types are not correct, but we can make a list of those easily enough. Items with additional properties (magical or otherwise) are where we run into problems since these will require varying degrees of 2DA customizations.

Perhaps we can compromise. Editing baseitems.2da (fix base prices and attributes) and armorrulestats.2da (add masterwork quality) might get us most of the way there for LIVE + a few months. That's only 2 files to keep track of, which makes things much more manageable, but it should allow us to create most mundanes (>= 1GP) and standard magical gear.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Oh and BTW, custom TLKs apparently work in-game despite not functioning with the toolset. Go figure.
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

I haven't been able to confirm that, and reports are mixed- they seem to work ingame for some 2das, but not others. Similarly, if they're not working in the toolset, it becomes rather harder to use them on anything in-game (since generally, you have to toolset them first).

But essentially, this is why I've been trying to work out if it's worth trying to get the 2das in, as some people have reported success in this area.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

I was making mundane/masterwork stuff.

Kinda like

Mundane
Common Clothing x 15 for ~ 5gp
Fair Quality Clothing x 10 for ~ 20 gp
Fashionable Clothing x 10 for ~ 40 gp
Noble Clothing x 10 for ~ 100 gp
Dark Clothing x 3 ~ 10gp
Natural weave clothing (nice for treehuggers) x 3 ~ 5gp
Travelling outfit (with cloak) x 5 for ~ 20 gp

Masterwork
Foresters Leathers (+1 hide) x 3 ~ 160gp
Darkened Leathers (+1 hide) x 3 ~ 160gp
Fencing Leathers (+1 parry) x 3 ~ 160gp
Supple leather (+1 tumble) x 2 ~ 160gp
etc
etc

Was then thinking about some +1 enchantments but the above will tkae a while as i'm only doing little bits at a time.

Note all MW items are only impacting on physical/ACP skills.

Then maybe think about weapons like special rapiers etc. Although there's a hak with MW versions of all weapons. Maybe i could just change the tags etc
But basically to give some variety in clothes etc available.

Costs as as per d20 costing and tag/resref as per the naming conventions list onthe alfawebsite

But tell me if i'm wasting tim.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

The mundane items should be fine. Hold off on the masterwork and magical items until the toolset TLK issues are sorted out. Also, it sounds like you're basing those off NWN1 guidelines, not what's been decided for NWN2, which is that masterwork/magical armor gains a -1 to armor check penalty. You don't need to add any skills to compensate anymore. There will be a M/W armor type for you to use for all m/w and magical armor.

Sorry for the confusion, Dorn. I hope you didn't waste much time on this. It'd be good to state what you intend to build on our ABR forums at least so that others don't duplicate the work.
Dorn
Haste Bear

Post by Dorn »

Nah no fuss mate. Just playing and trying to learn a bit of the TS atm anyways. I'll make some notes on the other forum then and and hold off on the non-mundane stuff
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

ç i p h é r sez:
Perhaps we can compromise. Editing baseitems.2da (fix base prices and attributes) and armorrulestats.2da (add masterwork quality) might get us most of the way there for LIVE + a few months. That's only 2 files to keep track of, which makes things much more manageable, but it should allow us to create most mundanes (>= 1GP) and standard magical gear.
This may save my sanity (for now). Too many shifting dependent variables otherwise and tracking the changes through an unknown number of version updates whilst still being unable to properly test the changes seems to be... daunting.
AcadiusLost

Post by AcadiusLost »

Should we also try to sneak appearance.2da in there as well, to get scaling right? I /think/ I got that one all updated to 1.05 for the PC races. Other than character creation (in which it may want an override currently), I think it's only read server-side.