Creature Resource errors

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Creature Resource errors

Post by Teric neDhalir »

Hi,
You'll like this. Not a lot.
Quite a lot of the creatures in the abr release have incorrect walk rates. I stumbled across this by accident when picking a creature at random, and ended up watching a giant walking waypoints and thinking "God, he's slow".

"Default" as a walk rate doesn't mean default for the creature, but default for the game engine (I think). A little testing suggests that game speeds translate as follows;
VSlow = 10'
Slow = 20'
Default/Normal/PCMove = 30' (what the difference is between them I don't know)
Fast = 33' (why? can outrun a PC, I suppose)
VFast = 40'
DMFast = 90'

Sound reasonable?
TnD
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Are speeds modified by a 2da like ranges are? If so, they may have been defined with custom 2das in mind (certainly, we'll eventually use quite a few custom 2das for ALFA's Beta, and Live servers). I'm not sure which 2das we can effectively use for the OAS though, as they have to be ones only accessed server-side (as I believe we are resolved to remain hak-less for the OAS)
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

As usual that went right over my head... All I mean is that some critters have a speed of (e.g.) fast in the abr blueprint when it should be very fast to match the canon sources.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Yes, creature speeds are defined in creaturespeeds.2da.

Teric, please cite the creatures that you think are wrong and what you think their movement rates should be, according to canon. We'll correct any errors that exist.

Thanks.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Do we have a custom creaturespeeds.2da, or does NWN2's 2da vary from NWN1's in the "Normal", "Fast", etc?

Also, is the speed 2da one that can just work serverside? If so, the OAS might be able to use one in override without the need to alter all their creature blueprints or force a hak download on perspective members.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

We haven't customized speeds yet. I *think* NWN2 values are a bit different, but it's been a while since I looked at it.

In any case, what I think Teric is saying is that the speed selections for some of the blueprints are wrong, not that the speed values for those settings are wrong. So some creatures are using the DEFAULT speed rather than the FAST speed for instance. Is that correct, Teric?

It should just be a matter of adjusting the blueprint speed settings to the proper values, not making a global speed adjustment via the 2da. We shouldn't adjust the movement rate values to make creatures walk faster or slower, but rather change the blueprints to use the correct setting. We can always add more if the ones available are not sufficient.
Teric neDhalir
Githyanki

Post by Teric neDhalir »

ç i p h é r wrote:In any case, what I think Teric is saying is that the speed selections for some of the blueprints are wrong, not that the speed values for those settings are wrong. So some creatures are using the DEFAULT speed rather than the FAST speed for instance. Is that correct, Teric?
Correct. I don't propose to give you a list of what I think is wrong, hopefully the original builders can look at that, but as an example all the new giants have a speed of default, which i think should be very fast and the worg has a speed of fast that should be very fast, and so on.

I looked at the creaturespeeds.2da, and assuming a PC walks at 30' then the others work out as;
VSlow = 11.25'
Slow = 18.75'
Normal = 26.25'
Fast = 33.75'
VFast = 41.25'
DMFast = 80'
(Default is set at 0.00, where PCMove is set at 2.00, so perhaps there's more to it than I understand...)

It would be tidier, perhaps, if these figures were altered so that the speeds were in discrete 10' steps from 10 to 50', but that's up to the movers and shakers to decide.

TnD