Cipher's Impending Madness

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Cipher's Impending Madness

Post by indio »

The signs are ominous...cipher's gonna lose it, and I can't bear to see someone who's shown such dedication blow a sandshoe.

This thread should be a basemod forum. Honest appraisals of where it's at, recommendations for whether we need it, who does what, and what hapens if we don't have one.

It looks like we've got 4 or 5 (maybe more, I don't know) active building teams. Most of us are into it now, and most of us don't have cipher's basemod headache every day to worry about. And then there are the Halrin's, Sheyjin's and AL's who are producing content for everyone to use.

So the question is, as cipher has asked on the NWN2 Teams forum, do we need one?

Well, we need an ACR, which is in my estimation the guts of what cipher and Ronan have been working on. So my take is finish the ACR so we have the following:

- Persistence
- Core Rules
- Spawner
- Logging

And after that exists and is in place and being tested in the beta (and really, that's the point of a beta...getting the core things right...quests are easy to fix) we can worry about the Basemod.

And the focus of the basemod should be simplified, imo. It should be an aid to builders. The ACR is one thing and the basemod should be another, in purpose at least.

ACR = Necessary ALFA stuff
Basemod = Building templates, scripted conversations, palettes, stuff that makes life easier

And here's to you cipher...you're a champ for lasting this long.
fluffmonster
Haste Bear

Post by fluffmonster »

agreed. we need to slow down, take stock, and breathe a little. Its very easy when yer building something to get lost in your work. We need to step back and get another check on the big picture and make sure we're organized on that level.
Built: TSM (nwn2) Shining Scroll and Map House (proof anyone can build!)
HEEGZ
Dungeon Master

Post by HEEGZ »

yes.

i need to get some sleep and i'll have a look at this again tomorrow when i can comprehend what i'm reading.
darrenhfx
Beholder

Post by darrenhfx »

Is it possible to bring across at least some of the work that has gone into the basemod?
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Well, we could just swap to Cthulu theme rather than FR. Then a mad acting TA would be a boon ;)

Sorry guys, RL stressors are leaving me neither the time, nor the acuity to do much other than throw peanuts. I'm still committed to getting a few items for Castano, but I don't think I can realistically expect to do much on this :(
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Ground Control to Major Tom. Take your protein pill and put your helmet on!

In all seriousness though, I'm not cracking. I do sometimes feel like a salmon though ... swimming upstream ... just keep swimming ... just keep swimming, swimming, swimming ...

@darrenhfx: Nothing is being tossed. Whatever we have will be made available to everyone, but that's beside the point. If build teams want a basemod and an ACR and an ABR, why are more of you not contributing to it? And if you're not, are we just barking up the wrong tree here? Do most of you guys just want to do your own thing and not be bothered with working within a larger team?