Content Creation: Doors

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Content Creation: Doors

Post by Ronan »

I've planned to make the following types of doors:
  • Simple wooden
  • Good wooden
  • Strong wooden
  • Stone
  • Iron
  • Portcullis. wooden
  • Portcullis, iron
The type of door determines its HP, hardness, and force-open strength DC (all taken from the DMG). Anyone have any suggestions on what to do with big castle gates and things like that? I'm not sure if stats for those are given in a sourcebook or anything.

Then each type of door is made with the following sorts of locks, also from the DMG:
  • Very simple, open lock DC 20.
  • Average, DC 25.
  • Good, DC 30.
  • Execellent, DC 35.
  • Amazing, DC 40.
(and yes, we'll have to do something about the taking-20 with the default open-lock checks)

Each with the following pre-set ACR settings:
  • Normal (no extra properties)
  • Autoclose (5 minutes)
  • Autolock
  • Autolock + autoclose
  • Locked during the day
  • Locked during the day + autoclose
  • Locks during the night
  • Locks during the night + autoclose
  • Stuck shut.
Anyone think we need an option to keep doors from being openable or closable by PCs? Like big heavy castle gates?

Thats 216 doors in total. They can be made quickly with NWN2's item editor allowing easy copies and things like that. I'm not making one for each appearance because I don't think its necissary - its easy for builders to select the door with the properties they want them adjust the appearance. Also, if I did that we'd end up with thousands of doors.

Does anyone think I'm missing anything? Remember a lot more properties are available to builders (listed in the door wiki), but these are the only properties I can think of which would be used in a manner that wouldn't have to be set up uniquely for each circumstance.
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

Looks good - I agree any plot/lock case should be unique. However, we may wish to put in a standard message better than "A specific key is requred to unlock" or "Your current weapon cannot damage".

I'm still fighting my OS :( I'd thought XP64 had it fixed, but some odd DirectDraw issue now.
PC: Bot (WD)

Code: Select all

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Can't think of anything you've missed, but 216 doors is a lot of blueprints to scroll through. Will these all be in one list?

Having the 7 core types with preset HP, hardness, etc is esstential for compliance with standards, but IMO, unless we improve the palette organization, adding another set of doors for each type with preset lock DCs is unnecessary and counterproductive. It's so trivial to adjust DCs that it will be more cumbersome to scroll through a sizeable list of doors than to assign the desired DC, and keep in mind, you can now make mass property changes by selecting multiple objects so these kinds of tweaks can be made quickly (far quicker than picking them out of a list).

I can see having two sets of core doors with different, but common, timing defaults as a convenience though; One set of autoclosing doors and another set without. That's 14 doors total.

Just a thought.
Thangorn
Haste Bear

Post by Thangorn »

cant we just save the 9 script sets and make the 7 doors?

we can leave details of the 9 script sets and what they do in the comments of each door cant we?
On indefinite real life hiatus

[22:52] <Veilan> obviously something sinister must be afoot if a DM does not have his social security number in his avatar name!
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

The palette catigory used is:
[Door type]|[Lock type]

So, we'd have something like,

-Simple wooden
--Lock: Very simple
---Normal (no extra properties)
---Autoclose (5 minutes)
---Autolock
---Autolock + autoclose
---Locked during the day
---Locked during the day + autoclose
---Locks during the night
---Locks during the night + autoclose
---Stuck shut.
++Lock: Average
++Lock: Good
++Lock: Execellent
++Lock: Amazing
+Good wooden
+Strong wooden
+Stone
+Iron
+Portcullis. wooden
+Portcullis, iron
Thang, I'm trying to leave comments out of things, because I think builders should only reference one source when looking for information on how the ACR works: the wiki. Anything else stands the risk of not being updated properly. Basically I want to give builders all the canon doors with all the configuations they may need, asside from ones which are so easy to select (like apperance, locked/unlocked, plot, etc) that adding more options for them would be no help at all. If you can think of something easier, let me know.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Perfect. :)
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Question: Do we need size-specific doors? Doors only small creatures can fit through? Doors large creatures (such as horses) cannot? I believe NWN2 automatically scales doors with building sizes.

I'm envisioning a half-orc trying to squeeze inside of a halfing's inn.
Fionn
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by Fionn »

I like it. While this is a corner case, it is a corner case I can see being used at least once on each server. Setting a Max_Size enum on the door would make sense to me. This could easily be recycled for tunnels as well.
PC: Bot (WD)

-----          -----          -----          -----
    /     \        /     \        /     \        /     \
   /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /  RIP  \      /
   |       |      |       |      |       |      |       |      |
  *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *| *  *  |*    *|
_)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_//(/|_)(__)/\\_(
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Alright, I added the spec. It was easy enough, and works for all ATs of course, not just doors.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

The door creation plugin is ready. Anyone know where I can find more stats on D&D doors? Maybe ones made out of special materials, mithral, adamantine, etc? And larger doors, like ones to a keep or castle?
dergon darkhelm
Fionn In Disguise

Post by dergon darkhelm »

One thing I've noted......

Sometimes when a door leads across an AT

The door might be unlocked on the outside (or smashed down), but on the interior it remains intact.

Not sure if that's addressable....just a thought that came to me.
PCs: NWN1: Trailyn "Wayfarer" Krast, Nashkel hayseed

NWN2: ??

gsid: merado_1
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Yes, thats already been addressed.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

was noticing that the abr doors blueprints use the event script "acf_door_heartbeat.nss", while the event script on the repository is "acf_door_onheartbeat.nss". Should we be renaming the one in the repository, or changing the blueprints?
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

By convention, the script names should mirror the event names, so ideally, we update the blueprints. All ABR door instances in a module would have to be updated but that can be done with one of the built-in plugins. Not sure how we missed this one. :?

Thanks for catching it.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

Well, it should be pretty trivial to apply a correct script set to all the doors by selecting them collectively, that's how I handled it on my end. Just something to keep in mind for the next version of the ABR Doors, I guess.