Content Creation: Creatures

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Associating a set of scripts with even several hundred blueprints is really very easy. I imported the ALFA mobs, expanded all menus, Shift-Selected all mobs, then Import Properties/Script Sets and applied my own scripts to them all. Took about 30 seconds.
AcadiusLost
Chosen of Forumamus, God of Forums

Post by AcadiusLost »

OK, I confirmed that the creature items, at least, stay in the inventory like they're supposed to, if you export them together.

Also, noticed a neat thing: there is a local string you can define to reference a script for custom "special AI" that fires every combat round. We might be able to shoehorn in a basic morale system using that, if nothing else.

So, does someone have a module that has all the ABR creatures with all of their respective creature skins and items?
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Mayhem, yes that is in fact a consequence of the absence of names. We may be able to remedy the problem by assigning generic names (Creature 1, Creature 2, etc) when a creature enters combat, but it's otherwise one of the tradeoffs to consider in the meta pro/con equation. On the other hand, being able to identify a creature is something we can very much remedy.

The first way is of course to ensure that each creature has unique visual attributes. This responsibility is in the hands of builders. The second way is to provide an in game mechanism for players to identify the creatures using a skill. This is something I've already added to the GUI and posted on our project downloads page, but it's in a relatively primitive form at the moment (proof of concept prototype).

Would you be willing to work with Indio to test these changes and comment on their efficacy? Simply drop the xml files into your override folder, and of course, make sure Indio updates his server to include the requisite GUI scripts. I'm glad you're play testing this now while we are still in BETA. As useful as the meta discussion was, there just isn't any substitute for play testing.

Thanks for the comments.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Just to note, the creatures erf was compiled directly from the blueprints in the repository. It wasn't generated by the toolset. I'll poke around and see what I can divine.

Also, I'm reviewing creature items, mundane items, and wondrous items now in prepration for an initial release. Obviously, creatures cannot use items that don't exist on the server so most of them are likely not "fully functional" yet. If the dependencies break as a result of the way I'm packaging them, I can either merge all the blueprints into ONE package or see if importing them in a specific sequence fixes the problem.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

AcadiusLost wrote:So, does someone have a module that has all the ABR creatures with all of their respective creature skins and items?
It seems as if the mobs in my mod have their skins and items in place.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

ç i p h é r wrote:Would you be willing to work with Indio to test these changes and comment on their efficacy? Simply drop the xml files into your override folder, and of course, make sure Indio updates his server to include the requisite GUI scripts. I'm glad you're play testing this now while we are still in BETA. As useful as the meta discussion was, there just isn't any substitute for play testing.

Thanks for the comments.
This sounds like fun. Won't be able to update the server for 12 hours or so.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Any more comments? Were the GUI changes good/bad?
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

I'll implement this tonight cipher. I've had a few days of next to no progress.

Can you give me a blow by blow walkthrough of getting this in the mod si I don't stuff it up please?
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Certainly. All you need to do Indio is download the UIScripts file in the User Interface package, then extract the contents and import the erf into your module (there should be 5 scripts). Compile the scripts in your module and save before launching the server.

Whoever intends to play test (the interfaces) in-game as either player or DM should download the UIXml file in the same package, then extract the contents to the My Documents\Neverwinter Nights 2\Override folder. That's it.

You can also find install instructions in the RELEASE NOTES of the package on the download page along with the details of what's included.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Many thanks. Should have read the release notes.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

No problem. I'll be happy to hear from players/DMs to judge if we're moving in the right direction or not. :)

Thanks.