Content Creation: Placeables

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Blackwill
Owlbear

Content Creation: Placeables

Post by Blackwill »

Can all requested specifics for placeables be posted here?
Working on placeable containers with inventories atm. I've done all the chests, doing dressers (wardrobes) now. I'd like to know what the exact tag is you guys would like though.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Blackwill, there's already a sticky thread in this forum for such requests. Let's use that to avoid needless clutter and duplication. :)

p.s. Are you working on placeables?
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

ç i p h é r wrote:p.s. Are you working on placeables?
I am, though Ronan knows this.

But with no clear guidance from the before mentioned thread, iI'm feeling in the darkness.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Blackwill wrote:I'm feeling in the darkness.
Welcome to the Black Network. :P
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Tags and resrefs would be abr_pl_*

As far as what to make and how exactly to tag stuff after that, I haven't really had time to think about it. Thats why I was hoping some people would want to organize each of these palette efforts.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

As far as tagging goes, we can start with the posted conventions and flesh out a better version now that there are more contributors. So feel free to make recommendations.

One thing that's a bit unclear is what we do with "resource name". I'm thinking we keep it the same as resref for now since it's not clear to me why there are two distinct fields.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Would you prefer to have the tag names easy like:

abr_pl_chest001
abr_pl_chest002
abr_pl_chest003
abr_pl_chest004
etc.

or rather split them per model?

Same goes for the name.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

I'd prefer we always include a category acronym in the tag (so we can locate the darn thing in the palette - you'll appreciate this when you need to work your way backwards from script/instance to blueprint) and use descriptive names to distinguish blueprints as much as possible. So if you can do abr_pl_co_chest_locked, abr_pl_co_chest_trapped, and so on, it's a bit more meaningful. JMO.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

Might be worth including subcategories for different types of chest, assuming there are broads bands of hardness etc.

Also, numeric ID tags are best as "_n".
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

I can do all that. I'll try and figure out a total of subcategories following what catagories are available already. I'll put them up tonight when I get the chance to get another look at the toolset.

At the moment I have about 14 different types of chests (models, scaled and colored). These include locked and unlocked versions of each model. I can make some already trapped, but then the list will become quite big. And if trapped, then which and how strong. I'm thinking of minor traps.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Well, we haven't had anyone look at traps yet. They may be to canon and suitable, or they may not be. I really don't know, I'd hoped one of our die-hard rogues would make it his mission to make sure they were done right.

Thanks for the help, Blackwill. Have you made anything using the additional scripted placeable features in the ACR?
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

I did put all the ACR script names into all the placeables so far.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

k, I ment some of the extra settings listed here though:
http://www.alandfaraway.org/docs/Techni ... Placeables

So you can create movable chairs, chests that can be forced open instead of just smashed, etc. All of the base chests should have a force open DC set, though I don't think they need any of the other settings.

Oh! I forgot we need a way to have PCs sit when they use an object ;) Doh, I'll make an alternate OnUse script for that.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Oh, if you don't understand something listed under "Configuration Options" in that wiki link, let us know! Those instructions are supposed to be usable be someone who doesn't know the ins and outs of how NWN works, so if something isn't clear, its a fault in the documentation we need to correct.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

PMed you.
The stuff under Configuration Options doesn't tell me how exactly and where to insert that text.

~The ALFAn Hazite.