Content Creation: Placeables

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Those are local variables so they need to be setup as such for the placeables you create. Depending on what you are creating, you may choose to assign a value or not, but I *think* we want those options on all the blueprints so builders can tell what they have available to them.

BTW, is there a comments area where you can provide more details, including a link back to the wiki placeables article? It would be helpful for anyone who needs more information and for us to track versions of blueprints (we can store these in the repository so we never lose anything we've created over time).

Anyone opposed to using a standard ALFA comment block for this sort of thing?
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

I'd rather not use the comments for this. They aren't so readable in the new toolset, and they are bound to become out-of-date especially with local instances. I'd really prefer to keep all the documentation in one place, to lessen the chances of errors. If builders don't know to consult the wiki, I think we have bigger problems. A link could be used I guess, provided the URL doesn't change over the years.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Oh yeah, there is a comment line. The only thing recorded in that is the model type the placeable is using. So you could put some extra information in there if you really needed to.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

I think a link to the wiki is as good a compromise as there is. The minute we write anything down, it risks becoming stale, but that's the only way we can manage information without putting chips in our brains. Builders are not going to go hunting for the info and I can say with certainty that a lot of people do not read these forums (or are very selective about their reading).

I think it would be good for us to record version numbers somewhere as well, just so we can tell what people have in their modules if something breaks. It makes standards compliance checking easier too I would imagine.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

First batch of placeables sent to Ronan. WITH gorgious variables included.
Hope they are as good as they need to be.
Do you know what "nemesis" means? A righteous infliction of retribution manifested by an appropriate agent. Personified in this case by an 'orrible cunt... me.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Blackwill wrote:WITH gorgious variables included.
A lot of nerds are going to drool. :)

P.S. What did you make?
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

18 chests, 6 armoires, 12 barrels, and 2 wardrobes.
Now on to crates... yay!

BTW, would there be a way to make placeables ignite... like a smokepowder barrel?
There has been some talk of a new function called "arson" in NWN. Maybe that's built in, but I think not. I suspect this requires code of some sort.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Just tested: Placeables spawned via script are NOT automatically given dynamic colisions. What this means is, if you have a non-walkable placeable with dynamic collisions off and you spawn it with a script, you can walk right through it.

So we need a "dynamic" catigory with all the non-walkable placeables (OE's and ALFA's) in it, with dynamic collision on. This should be a pretty easy thing to do, since the other stuff can be copied.

Not really sure on the best catigories to use, with some of the placeables already being dynamic (anything which is moveable must be). So I'll leave that up to Blackwill.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Blackwill uploaded his placeables... We sill kinda need someone to manage this effort, and make sure there is nothing else needed, etc... :?
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Rusty's got the green light to manage the content creation effort as far as I'm concerned. Blackwill's submission will require a tech review (standards, errors, and omissions), and pending approval, the blueprints should be commited to our global repository.

If Rusty's indisposed, I'll take a look at them when I get home tonight.
Blackwill
Owlbear

Post by Blackwill »

Goody gumdrops. Tell me what needs adding and/or what you want me to do next.

~The ALFAn Hazite.

ElCadaver
Rust Monster

Post by ElCadaver »

ç i p h é r wrote:
Blackwill wrote:I'm feeling in the darkness.
Welcome to the Black Network. :P
"I cast MAGIC MISSILE

Whay do you want to cast magic missile? There's nobody there, who are you attacking?

I'm attacking the DARKNESS."
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

Placeables? Uh, ok. Has it been uploaded? Wait.. I can check that.. lemme look it over...
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Rusty wrote:Placeables? Uh, ok.
Yup. Better known as....TAG! You're IT! :D