Content creation: Items

Development of standard ALFA palettes (ABR)

Moderators: ALFA Administrators, Staff - Technical

Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

The abm_ prefix is at teh Ronana's request; if he says we can lose it, that's fine by me.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

The abm_ prefix stays, but if you want to organize tags based on toolset catigory, thats fine. It doesn't matter to me, I could find the items just as easy with either method, and toolset catigories are totally customizable.

We don't want these to get too long, due to script requirements. Just make sure no item has a tag of more than 28 characters, and we should be good to go.
indio
Ancient Red Dragon

Post by indio »

Sounds good. Will leave it in your capable hands Rusty. Whatever you think works best.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Though, maybe abr_ would be better? For Alfa Base Resource? Since we aren't really thinking of it is a "mod" anymore.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

I'm in the process of creating a toolset plugin to auto-generate all wands, scrolls and potions based on available spells. It looks like its very possible. If its easy to do, I could do the same for melee weapons with various properties.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

BTW, what prefix are we going with, Ronan? acr? abm? or abr? The latter seems most refined to me.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

ALFA-wide poll. :wink:
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

I guess I'd prefer ABR if no one has made a lot of stuff yet. I'm still working on the wand/potion/scroll generation plug-in.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

Is there any merit in matching the length of the base resource tag to the length of the individual NWN2 server tags; so "AR_" or even "00_" ?
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

I really don't care so much. We sort of got in the habit of 3-digits from ALFA1, but it doesn't really matter to me. Inny is talking about re-drawing reginions which may end up with over 99, though I don't see the point in regions to begin with... Meh.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

Let's go with ABR then.

We're just too far down the path with ACR to even consider changing it if we wanted to. We could change server side script conventions to use a two digit ID as a prefix instead of 3, but all things considered, it may be best to be flexible and keep it at 3.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

Hmm, yeah, and I forgot we may do sub-region servers. Like 04a, 04b, etc. So definitely best to leave it as 3 characters.
Rusty
Retired

Post by Rusty »

ABR_ it is.

Wiki updated. Check for anything missing...

N.B. The list is meant to be all-inclusive; we will not need all of these properties in the ABR, nor will they always be appropriate in unique server custom items, where a name may suffice. No harm in having them, though.

For those joinining the item creation effort, there will be an easy-reference Excel file.
Ronan
Dungeon Master

Post by Ronan »

We need to get builders to start submitting items and things like... last week. Trouble is, we have no FTP, and I've yet to decide on a spec for item scripts. Sorry about that, I just now got the DM client working, and I had to test if a few Aurora "features" had made their way from NWN2 to NWN1.

Unfortunately I'm going to be busy this weekend, and I think the only person who read & understood the sort of events we hope to be able to capture on items was Cipher... But we can still start collecting generic NWN2 OnItemActivated scripts, and adapt them to our custom events system when we've figure out the best way of doing things.
ç i p h é r
Retired

Post by ç i p h é r »

It may not be a while until builders shift their focus from building areas to building content, but it would be good to at least coordinate with HDMs on this early on. I don't know how many people on server teams read these forums.